Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Midseason Top 20 Prospects

Your Midseason Top 20 Prospects

It's that time already, ladies and gentlemen.

For my list, I excluded Aroldis Chapman, who I believe has passed the 45 day requirement for this to be his rookie season.

1. Devin Mesoraco- C (AAA)- Possibly the top true catching prospect in all of baseball. His CS% is down from last year, but he's put up an .889 OPS in the pitching-friendly IL, even with his recent cooldown.

2. Yasmani Grandal- C (AA)- 2010 first-rounder showed remarkable plate patience by leading A+ in walks and hitting 10 HR, earning himself a quick promotion to Carolina.

3. Zack Cozart- SS (AAA)- There's a significant dropoff after Mes and Grandal; the rest of the prospects either lack their upside, remain raw and unrefined, or are losing value in AAA. Cozart, however, has distanced himself from the AAA pack and earned a major league promotion with a blistering first half.

4. Yonder Alonso- 1B/LF (AAA)- Remains a polished and attractive hitter, but the LF experiment has had mixed results and his numbers are a tick below average this year.

5. Robert Stephenson- SP (Draft)- 2011 first-round prep pitcher has an unusually high ceiling and stuff/polish combo; instantly becomes the highest-upside arm in the system.

6. Daniel Corcino- SP (A)- Heralded as the next Johnny Cueto, performance to date has earned his place as the best minor league arm outside of Stephenson.

7. Yorman Rodriguez- OF (A)- Continues to flash impressive tools at age 18 and is beginning to put it together after a rough start to the year.

8. Billy Hamilton- SS (A)- While he has set records with his astounding stealing ability (an incredible 64 to date), his bat has been exposed and his 26 errors are cause for mild alarm.

9. Juan Duran- OF (A)- Has shown himself Rodriguez and Hamilton's equal as a prospect with a solid .465 SLG in A-ball; appears to be putting his tools together faster than either of the two. Reports on his power have been glowing.

10. Ronald Torreyes- 2B (A)- The numbers don't lie; he has continued to tear up the lower minors, hitting .368 in A-ball and providing plus defense with some power and stealing ability. His height suggests that he will need to prove himself at higher levels to be a top-tier prospect, but has done as well as can be expected.

11. Todd Frazier- 3B/LF (AAA)- Has shown renewed power with 15 HR and has improved his previously below-average defense according to scouting reports, rejuvenating his prospect status. However, his age is an impediment to his prospect status.

12. Brad Boxberger- RP (AA)- Sports a 1.31 ERA, 0.845 WHIP, and 14.9 K/9. Last year's struggles seem to be a thing of the past for the Reds system's top relief prospect.

13. Dave Sappelt- OF (AAA)- Has mostly hit well during his playing time; however, slight numbers dropoff from last year (only a .301 AVG, though with 7 HR) and failure to improve SB numbers mean he doesn't go above here.

14. Juan Francisco- 3B/LF (AAA)- Has nothing left to prove in the minors, hitting as well as all other prospects at that level; however, time spent in the majors indicates a possible stagnation into a AAAA power hitter.

15. Gabriel Rosa- OF/SS (Draft)- Power/speed combo draws comparisons to Duran, though being a possible SS increases his upside.

16. Josh Smith- SP (A)- Old for his level and lacking in pedigree, but has put up even more impressive stats than Corcino, such as a 0.97 WHIP and 2.21 ERA.

17. Tucker Barnhart- C (A)- Has displayed incredible defensive prowess to go with a good bat so far this season, but remains relatively low-upside.

18. Ismael Gullion- SP (Rookie)- Struggled with a 7.00+ ERA in his first 2 starts in Billings; has plenty of time to adjust.

19. Neftali Soto- 1B (AA)- Rebounded from a slow start to find his swing and hit 15 HR to date; probable 40-man addition.

20. Kyle Lotzkar- SP (A)- Overall disappointing season so far, with injury problems and multiple inconsistent starts. His arm, however, still has that TOR potential if kept healthy.

Honorable Mentions:

Henry Rodriguez- 2B (AA)- Hot start in Bakersfield led to a quick promotion to AA.

Ryan Wright- 2B (Draft)- Polished college second baseman could make a quick impact.

Eric Campbell- 3B (AA)- Trying to redefine oneself as a prospect at age 25 (almost 26) is difficult, but his 1.121 OPS drumming of the California league deserves mention.

Fallers:

Donnie Joseph- RP (AA)- Horrific 8.00+ ERA has nearly eliminated him as a major prospect, despite his remarkable stuff.

Chris Valaika- 2B (AAA)- Losing value rapidly with a very poor season in Louisville.

Ryan LaMarre- OF (A+) Remains a prospect, but failure to make use of his extensive tools has caused him to blend in as organizational filler.

Edits have been made. I was sleepy when I wrote this.
    Last edited by The DARK; 07-12-2011 at 12:35 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your Midseason Top 20 Prospects

Ok I'll take my shot, though I admit that I haven't paid as much attention as in season's past and I'm not really going to include recent draftees or many rookie ball types. Personal Pre-season rank in ().

1. Mesoraco (2)
    2. Cozart (3)
    3. Sappelt (8)
    4. Grandal (9)
    5. Torreyes (22)
    6. Corcino (18)
    7. Alonso (4)
    8. Boxberger (13)
    9. Duran (12)
    10. Sulbaran (38)
    11. Frazier (10)
    12. Hamilton (7)
    13. Y-Rod (6)
    14. Francisco (11)
    15. Soto (20)
    16. Barnhardt (28)
    17. Renken (NR)
    18. Josh Smith (NR)
    19. Waldrop (37) (on faith)
    20. Ravin (44) (on stuff)

Remainder of my pre-season top 20 no longer on list:

Chapman (1) Graduated to MLB, Joseph (5) awful year, Negron (14) awful year, Lamarre (15) not enough bat so far IMO, Guillon (16) need more info, Correa (17) questions about status, Arias (19) poor start.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

1. Mesoraco
    2. Corcino
    3. Grandal
    4. Alonso
    5. Boxberger
    6. Soto
    7. Smith
    8. Duran
    9. Hamilton
    10. Sappelt/Torreyes

Notes: Cozart and other gulys on mlb roster are not eligble to me. Unsigned players are not eligible for me. I know I am forgetting someone but I can not put my finger on who it is.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    1. Mesoraco
    2. Corcino
    3. Grandal
    4. Alonso
    5. Boxberger
    6. Soto
    7. Smith
    8. Duran
    9. Hamilton
    10. Sappelt/Torreyes

Notes: Cozart and other gulys on mlb roster are not eligble to me. Unsigned players are not eligible for me. I know I am forgetting someone but I can not put my finger on who it is.
    Yorman?

Hastily . . .

(Didn't include anyone not yet signed.)

1. Mesoraco
    2. Cozart
    3. Torreyes
    4. Grandal
    5. Hamilton
    6. Sappelt
    7. Yorman
    8. Barnhart
    9. Francisco
    10. Alonso
    11. Corcino
    12. Frazier
    13. Soto
    14. Duran
    15. Boxberger
    16. Lotzkar
    17. Sulbaran
    18. Gregorius
    19. Waldrop
    20. Chacin

Strongly considered: Stalin Gerson, Brandon Dailey, Drew Hayes, Denis Phipps, Tony Cingrani, Jacob Johnson, Ismael Guillon, Josh Smith, Jeremy Horst, Henry Rodriguez, Elizier Beard.

Lightly considered: Sean Buckley, Josh Ravin, Nick O'Shea, David Vidal, Wandy Peralta, Junior Arias, Daryl Thompson, Daniel Renken, Carlos Ramos.
    Last edited by mace; 07-12-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Resident PED Expert

Mesoraco - Best C prospect in baseball
    Grandal - Top 5 C prospect in baseball
    Stevenson - TOR arm
    Alonso - Top trade prospect
    Boxberger - Future closer
    Corcino - Cueto part 2
    Hamilton - Raw but growing.
    Lotzkar - Would be in AAA if he had stayed healthy all these years
    Sappelt - Could solve 2 birds with one swipe. (LF - Lead-off)
    Frazier - Power bat, ideal bench and role player
    Soto - Becoming the top power prospect in the Minors
    Chacin - AZL closer. Look up his numbers.
    Rosa - Hamilton's potiential, Duran's bat.
    Beard - AZL starter. Look up his numbers.
    Duran - Need to make more contact and move to 1B
    Torreyes - Raton is a beast.
    H-Rod - Nice bat. Developing glove. IF utility type guy.
    Barnhart - Plus D already
    Yorman - Redsof72 has dampered my enthusiam.
    Waldrop - Showing speed and pop.

1st time posting here.I started reading this site after 4 or 5 years,last night .I read the ORG a few years before joining Sundeck,3 1/2 years ago.The Minors seem a great way to interact and keep up with posters that have a lot of knowledge.I have been unable to ask questions to posters whose opinion I valued,because of only Sundeck privileges.From what I've noticed ,make up (work habit,competitiveness) play almost or more ( at MLB level)of a bigger part of extended Mlb success.In other words ceiling and talent might get you to Mlb, but to excel,make up becomes very important; aka. Joey Votto.I was just wondering about the work habit and competitiveness of our prospects.I like Sappelt as a piece for the near future.I would like to see Doug or whoever is knowledgeable(as being new here I don't want to slight the others properly qualified) to give us a top 10 work habit and competitiveness from our prospects;not only ceiling and talent.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Yorman?
    No I have soured a bit on him and would have placed him just outside my "ten"

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    1st time posting here.I started reading this site after 4 or 5 years,last night .I read the ORG a few years before joining Sundeck,3 1/2 years ago.The Minors seem a great way to interact and keep up with posters that have a lot of knowledge.I have been unable to ask questions to posters whose opinion I valued,because of only Sundeck privileges.From what I've noticed ,make up (work habit,competitiveness) play almost or more ( at MLB level)of a bigger part of extended Mlb success.In other words ceiling and talent might get you to Mlb, but to excel,make up becomes very important; aka. Joey Votto.I was just wondering about the work habit and competitiveness of our prospects.I like Sappelt as a piece for the near future.I would like to see Doug or whoever is knowledgeable(as being new here I don't want to slight the others properly qualified) to give us a top 10 work habit and competitiveness from our prospects;not only ceiling and talent.
    That's a great point, and would be a good resource. Somebody like Doug has a lot more information about these guys than I do, but I know of a few players whose characters and work ethics have earned rave reviews over the years. Definitely Todd Frazier. Tucker Barnhart. Ronald Torreyes has been praised as a guy who really does things right, for his age. I think Mesoraco and Cozart are strong in those areas. Brandon Dailey. Jacob Johnson. On the flip side, the only top prospects whose makeups have been questioned, to my knowledge, are Yorman and Henry Rodriguez.

1.) SP Kyle McCulloch
    2.) P James Avery
    3.) RP Aguido Gonzalez
    4.) 1B Carlos Mendez
    5.) C Chris Berset
    6.) P Mike Henry
    7.) RP Tim Hamulack
    8.) C Jordan Wideman
    9.) RP Doug Salinas
    10.) RP Scott Gaffney
    11.) IF Jose Castro
    12.) UT Mike Griffin
    13.) RP Ruben Medina
    14.) RP Drew Bowman
    15.) IF Jose Gualdron
    16.) RP Tyree Hayes
    17.) OF Wilfrel Estevez
    18.) 2B Adam Muenster
    19.) P Jason Braun
    20.) 3B Frank Pfister

1. Mesoraco
    2. Cozart
    3. Grandal
    4. Corcino
    5. Alonso
    6. Torreyes
    7. Stephenson
    8. Sappelt
    9. Boxberger
    10. Frazier

Coming into this season my hopes for our prospect were as follows:

1.) Frazier and Alonso would be flat out mashing and force their way onto the Reds or become significant trade chips.
    2.) Mesoraco would prove last year was not a fluke.
    3.) One of our high ceiling guys (Hamilton, Duran or Y-Rod) would break out.
    4.) Some of our high ceiling pitchers (Lotzkar, Sulbaran, Gullion, Corcino or Correa) would break out.

So from my perspective coming into this season, its been kind of a disappointing year so far.

-The Insider-

I could help in any way.

And Cam, Castro should be higher.

Also, some people are not giving Box enough credit. Him being out of the top 10 is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I could help in any way.

And Cam, Castro should be higher.

Also, some people are not giving Box enough credit. Him being out of the top 10 is pretty bad.
    If it weren't for breakout seasons by guys like Torreyes and Corcino, I'd have him in my top 10; there's not a whole lot of separation for me between Cozart and Francisco. I wish they'd kept him as a starter, but I love his future as a closer or setup guy at the very least.

-The Insider-

Yes, Corcino has done well, but to put him in front of someone who hasn't even signed yet is brutal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    14. Juan Francisco- 3B/LF (AAA)- Has nothing left to prove in the minors, hitting as well as all other prospects at that level; however, time spent in the majors indicates a possible stagnation into a AAAA power hitter.

Please review Juan Francisco's major league trials over three seasons and let us know how he has possibly stagnated into a AAAA power hitter, having just turned 24 years of age.

Thank you.

Turn Off Ads?