Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cheap places to stay in NYC

Cheap places to stay in NYC

My wife is going to be meeting a friend from Europe in NYC for a few days in August, and we've been looking at budget hotels and hostels as we're on a relatively small budget.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay? They'd prefer to be somewhat near Central Park if possible, but doesn't have to be for sure.

Price range would be not much more than $60 per day (per person)...there are a few options, but nothing that we've ever seen or know anything about other than the internet recommendations...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cheap places to stay in NYC

Wow. You are limiting yourself if you can't spend more than $60 a day. A few years ago I stayed at a place called Hotel 17. It's by Washington Park in the East Village. No bathrooms in the room, just a sink but there are 4 bathrooms on each floor. The rooms are small but if you are not going to be spending a lot of time in the room, that shouldn't matter. It's a clean hotel and very nice fore the money. I spent 3 nights there - Sunday through Tuesday - and spent about $330. I would definitely stay there again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Try New Jersey
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

NYC on $60 a day? and near Central Park. Good Luck.

Okay, did not see per person. a little better.
    Last edited by RBA; 07-13-2011 at 12:09 AM.

You might want to take a chance on Priceline.

Here's a website to help you bid:
    http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...-New-York-City

I'm confused, will it be $120 then or $180? I can't tell if it's 2 or 3 people. If so, I'd agree with RBA, go for priceline. Capacity in the summer time is crazy though so it may be hard. If these are weekdays, your odds will be better.

You can probably find a 1 star or 2 star hotel somewhere in the city otherwise for $120, but don't expect space, hot water or a clean experience. You may also consider Brooklyn. You can probably find something halfway decent (Williamsburg or Prospect Heights) that is closer to the city for your budget that won't be a craphole. On the other hand, If you have $180 to spend a day, you can definitely find something solid, especially on priceline. I don't know about Central Park, but I'm sure you could find something in Midtown for that amount.

Turn Off Ads?