Turn Off Ads?

Thread: wOBA by Batting Order

wOBA by Batting Order

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-break-update/

One of the guys with fangraphs did a study about wOBA at different spots in the batting order. Taking a look at the second figure, "NL wOBA by Slot," it is interesting to see where the Reds stand against there NL counterparts. While we have some pretty big problem spots, 1st, 2nd and most notably 4th, the rest of the lineup matches up well.

But what I don't get is why our two lowest wOBA slots are 2nd and 4th (ignoring the 9th slot). I would think you would want your better hitters further up in the lineup. I know a lot of this has to do with Rolen's decreased production in the 4 spot (not to beat a dead horse), and Dusty likes to bat certain positions in certain spots in the order.

I guess my questions to you all would be, which of these would best help the ball club: jumble the lineup around a bit, go find a 4/5 hitter somehow, or ignore this completely because the information is irrelevant.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: wOBA by Batting Order

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post

I guess my questions to you all would be, which of these would best help the ball club: jumble the lineup around a bit, go find a 4/5 hitter somehow, or ignore this completely because the information is irrelevant.

Well, as the guy who wrote the article notes, the most poor lineup construction can do is cost a team one or two games. So, over the rest of the season, it seems like the best jumbling the lineup might do is generate one more win.

On the other hand, a legitimate middle of the lineup hitter might be a a 4.5 to 5.0-win player. So, if we could somehow replace, say, Gomes, with half a year of that kind of production, we might be looking at an extra couple wins.

Of course, the question is what kind of hitter is actually available on the trade market. I'm not sure someone like Ryan Ludwick or Josh Willingham would be worth going after.

Turn Off Ads?