Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jon Heyman: Reds are looking for relief help

Jon Heyman: Reds are looking for relief help

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...medium=twitter

#reds in mix looking for relief help in addition to #rangers, #phillies, #yankees, #cardinals and maybe #chisox
    Add the Reds to the ever-expanding list of teams eyeing bullpen help. They're in the mix for relievers, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter).
    I'm really not seeing this as a huge priority. Anyone else agree? Maybe it's just the cheapest way to upgrade the team (both prospect and $ wise)?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jon Heyman: Reds are looking for relief help

Might be concerned that Ondrusek's arm is about to fall off and need a suitable replacement.

I chalk this up to Jocketty looking at any/all avenues for improving the squad. GM'ing, like politics, is often the art of the possible. Improving anywhere is better than trying to improve in just the highest priority places and coming up short.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Maybe they're looking for a reliever with closer experience should Cordero continue down his current path.

I don't see the Reds bullpen as an area of need. I think the bullpen will be fine if Dusty manages it better than he did in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I don't see the Reds bullpen as an area of need. I think the bullpen will be fine if Dusty manages it better than he did in the first half.
    Which is a big if which is why WJ might be in the market.

What if they were able to get Heath Bell or Mike Adams?

Too often we as fans look at direct areas of needs and don't look to make moves that improve the team overall. I think the pen has done a pretty good job this year (sans Coco over the last 10 days). But what happens if you add Mike Adams? You now put Adams in the 8th, Masset and Chapman in the 7th and you shorten the game. I like Ondrusek but he is no longer pitching in the 7th inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    You just hit on the reason they are looking.
    If they anyone at any position that can help it would be fine with me. Heath Bell would look really good coming out of that bullpen. I wonder if Marmol is available or Tyler Clippard of the Nats? Any of those would look good coming out of the pen.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Acquiring relief pitchers usually has minimal impact on payroll.

As always with the Reds, the balance ledger controls all transactions.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Could just be driving up the price the Cards ultimately pay for Bell as well.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

The Reds have a good bullpen, but not a great one.

There isn't a pitcher there who I feel is a complete shutdown guy. One more hammer for the 8th who could also be an option to close would be a big improvement for the team.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I am of the mindset that any upgrade is an upgrade. Even if it's a small piece of the puzzle if it is the right deal then go for it. I am of the camp that believe the reds need a starter over a reliever, but if you can get Heath Bell or a name like that you go for it. We don't know if Chap will be able to maintain what he has done the past couple of weeks and you think Coco will be ok. Too me the AS game showed me pitching wins. I have heard Ulbaldo trade rumors and too me that's the right direction to look for, but as he should walt is looking to improve the team in any area he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm really not seeing this as a huge priority. Anyone else agree? Maybe it's just the cheapest way to upgrade the team (both prospect and $ wise)?
    Their pen is actually 11th in the NL ranked by FIP and they have thrown the second highest number of innings in the NL. It's been a problem which might be obfuscated a bit by it's shiny ERA or if focusing upon FIP out of the context of the rest of the league.

If Jocketty could get a high leverage arm in exchange for organizational surplus, it would be a significant upgrade IMHO.

That said, their rotation is ranked dead last by FIP (and it isn't even close).
    Last edited by jojo; 07-14-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

You can never have enough pitching. If its inexpensive, buy some.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Maybe its a replacement for Cordero when he's DFA'd.

BTW, what happened with Burton? Must have missed it. Is he not gonna pitch at all this year?

Turn Off Ads?