Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spotify

Re: Spotify

Thanks. I signed up for an iinvite.

I like that you can share songs you like. Big drawback for iTunes, IMO. I can see someone who likes to own their music sticking to iTunes, but I can't see any other reason to not use Spotify instead of iTunes.

Although, I'll wait till I try it before I make a final conclusion.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    The whole license versus purchase phenomena has been quietly growing for years.

http://gizmodo.com/369235/amazon-kin...o-longer-yours
    People who laud the virtues of things like Spotify (and even, really, iTunes) should read this. Pay money. Own nothing. It's amazing more people aren't more than a little concerned about this concept becoming more prevalent.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    People who laud the virtues of things like Spotify (and even, really, iTunes) should read this. Pay money. Own nothing. It's amazing more people aren't more than a little concerned about this concept becoming more prevalent.
    It's not that amazing. For me to own the amount of music that this service offers me, or the number of movies I can get from a service like Netflix, I would have to pay a lot of money. Or for less than $10 a month I can use as much of the service as I would like and at the end of the day not have something that I might not watch or listen to again. You are paying for access and options which is good on products like this. It works as long as a large number of people want to recieve the product this way and the cost stays low.

Most people, including myself, only listen for a brief period of time the songs that they like. I used to love Garbage and Blink 182 all day long. I feel no need to listen to them anymore. I can say that about at least 95% of the music I have liked in my lifetime.

And some, like A-Ha and Gin Blossoms, I am glad there is no physical record of me ever liking them.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The user face of Spotify is a million times better than Rhapsody. Spotify also currently has a bigger library than Rhapsody as well. The fact that Rhapsody still hasn't made their product available to MAC is a huge problem too (something Spotify does). Spotify streams at 320KBPS while Rhapsody is at 128KBPS, which is pretty 1999 in my opinion.

I think the fact that Rhapsody has 800,000 US subscribers while Spotify has 1.6M European paid subscribers would indicate that Spotify is on a better trajectory.
    Not arguing that Spotify is likely a better product than Rhapsody, although I've never been a subscriber of either. In fact, from what I've heard of it, I may well become a Spotify subscriber down the road. But it's a long way from there to iTunes killer/market domination. The #1 OMG feature -- "you can play any song anywhere any time for ten bucks a month" -- has already been available and it didn't turn the world on its head. So this just looks like an evolution of an existing product category to me, not a thunderclap like, say, the iPhone was. Could be wrong.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

For those that have doubts about Spotify, read this piece. It's lengthy, but informative and fascinating.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-correct-.html

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It's not that amazing. For me to own the amount of music that this service offers me, or the number of movies I can get from a service like Netflix, I would have to pay a lot of money. Or for less than $10 a month I can use as much of the service as I would like and at the end of the day not have something that I might not watch or listen to again. You are paying for access and options which is good on products like this. It works as long as a large number of people want to recieve the product this way and the cost stays low.
    Exactly as you said...so what happens when Spotify gets really popular and decides they have enough of a subscribe base that they can raise their rates like Netflix did? What happens when that $10/month becomes $20. I'm not as against it as CE, but there is something to be said for actually keeping physical copies of music. Once you go the way of a Spotify, if for whatever reason it stops or increases rates beyond what what you want to play then what? I am a much bigger fan of the cloud music concept where you own the rights to your music but its on an internet server that you can access from anywhere. Time will tell which becomes more popular.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You know what is great about CDs or records? I can resell them when I no longer want them. Can't do that with a virtual copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Exactly as you said...so what happens when Spotify gets really popular and decides they have enough of a subscribe base that they can raise their rates like Netflix did? What happens when that $10/month becomes $20. I'm not as against it as CE, but there is something to be said for actually keeping physical copies of music. Once you go the way of a Spotify, if for whatever reason it stops or increases rates beyond what what you want to play then what? I am a much bigger fan of the cloud music concept where you own the rights to your music but its on an internet server that you can access from anywhere. Time will tell which becomes more popular.
    The good news is, unlike netflix, there will be plenty of competition in this realm. Rhapsody already exists, I'm sure apple will enter this realm, the cloud for amazon, google and apple exist. There will be lots of options, unlike Netflix who has a real grip on their market share. The incentive to raise the price isn't as high here. The only way I envision the price going up is if the labels and rights owners demand more, which isn't out of the question.

Btw, anything you've already purchased, you already own. So regardless, you'll always get to keep those things.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You know what is great about CDs or records? I can resell them when I no longer want them. Can't do that with a virtual copy.
    In case you haven't noticed, the value of used CDs and DVDs continues to plummet.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, the value of used CDs and DVDs continues to plummet.
    Wake me when they hit zero.

That's the value of a Spotify track or a digital download on the resale market.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Wake me when they hit zero.

That's the value of a Spotify track or a digital download on the resale market.
    Same with a Netflix movie, something you have said to subscribe to.

Time is the Revelator.

For anyone wanting an invite, go here: http://www.spotify.com/us/coca-cola/

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Listening to music you don't own? Sounds like radio to me.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Listening to music you don't own? Sounds like radio to me.
    Or something like HBO.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?