Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: For What Will the Reds Trade?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • None - Asleep at the wheel again

25 37.31%
  • Leftfielder

6 8.96%
  • Shortstop

0 0%
  • Starting Pitcher

29 43.28%
  • Relief Pitcher

21 31.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: For What Will Reds Trade?

Poll: For What Will Reds Trade?

This is not for what you thing the Reds should trade, but for what you think the Reds will trade. You can vote for as many as you like:

1. None - Asleep as usual
    2. Leftfielder
    3. Shortstop
    4. Starting Pitcher
    5. Relief Pitcher
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Poll: For What Will Reds Trade?

I think we'll trade FOR prospects. I think we'll jettison some ML players (Hernandez, Renteria, and maybe a LF'er) for some prospects to replace the holes we'll be creating by bringing up some of the Louisville studs.

Senor Votto

None

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I don't think they will be asleep at the wheel if they do not trade for anyone. If there is nothing good out there then they should not try to push by overpaying for rental players and sell the future. Jocketty just needs to sit back and see what is available, and act accordingly. I have full faith that he will do that.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think we'll trade FOR prospects. I think we'll jettison some ML players (Hernandez, Renteria, and maybe a LF'er) for some prospects to replace the holes we'll be creating by bringing up some of the Louisville studs.
    That would be an interesting idea. They of course have to have full faith that the current Reds prospects can come up in the middle of a pennate race and win the thing. Which is a HUGE task to put on them.

I think if they trade, it would be for Major League help. But you bring up an interesting idea.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I voted for NONE, but I emphatically say that it is not because they are asleep at the wheel. I don't think there will be a deal simply because there will not be a decent deal available to the Reds. By a "decent" deal, I'm talking about an obvious upgrade as opposed to shuffling deck chairs. I don't think the poll is fair to assume that the Reds are asleep at the wheel if they do nothing.

That doesn't mean someone else won't make a splash. But you cannot just assume that because someone else made a deal, that Walt could have made the same deal using the Reds' trade bait. The Reds have some trading chips. but that doesn't mean you can simply interchange them in someone else's deal and assume that the Reds' trading chips would gain the same return.

Yes, the Reds have needs, but I don't think the players are available who can truly upgrade those needs for the next 3-5 seasons. I just don't think there will be a deal out there that won't leave us feeling like, "but we already had that!" Sometimes the best deal is are the ones that don't get made.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

A starting pitcher is needed. The other holes should come from the minors. We have the talent to fill those holes.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I held my nose and voted for None. I don't consider None to be "asleep at the wheel," because we don't know if the opportunities passed up were good ones.

For instance, I wouldn't trade Votto or Bruce for K-Rod.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

As much as I would love to have the Ubaldo Jimenez's and Jose Reyes' .. I just don't see this team in the market to deal. Not at the July 31st deadline at least. Walt had a made a name for himself in St. Louis and going after key needs on that ball club by getting big name stars like Dennis Eckersley, Will Clark, Mark McGwire, Darryl Kile, Chunk Finley, Scott Rolen, Edgar Renteria, Jim Edmonds, Larry Walker, & Mark Mulder.. Yet with the Reds he has yet to scratch the surface and reaquired some of those players.

Im not saying sell off the farm.. but I'd like to see players who have proven themselves at the AAA level get an oppertunity to move up to the big league club. If not this club then someone elses. Players who are blocked:

Yonder Alonso
    Devin Mesoraco
    Todd Frazier
    Juan Francisco
    Danny Dorn
    Travis Wood
    Brad Boxburger (I'll admit he could use some more seasoning @ Louisville)
    Dave Sappelt

Everyone of those players have exceeded at the AAA level and have value to net you a star. I just see Walt sitting on his hands this trade deadline and hoping for the major league talent to take off and get hot. I'll leave you though with this bit.. When the Reds acquired Scott Rolen it was heavily reported that he wasn't just a player for 2009.. he was for the success of the 2010 Reds. They dealt one hell of a prospect at the time in Zack Stewart but it paid off. Our record was just nuts after getting Rolen and actually alomst made the team a .500 ballclub in the short time here. In 2010 the Reds were a Division winner and a playoff team. I think Ubaldo Jimenez is the Reds '09 Scott Rolen type of guy. I guess we will just have to see..

Walt is going to make a move this year. My guess is he gets a front line starter.

I went with starting pitcher, but would have been fine with saying "none" except for needless "asleep at the wheel" comment with it. I agree with the others who said they wouldn't necessarily see that as an accurate characterization. I think we have depth to make a move, but I despise the "back up the truck" approach. If we're going to tap our depth, I don't want moves for the sake of "making a move" and emptying our system. It has to make sense long term too.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Walt is going to make a move this year. My guess is he gets a front line starter.
    I've said that the last two years (both offseason and deadline). Not anymore. Nada was my vote. He's getting old, let him sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I held my nose and voted for None. I don't consider None to be "asleep at the wheel," because we don't know if the opportunities passed up were good ones.

For instance, I wouldn't trade Votto or Bruce for K-Rod.
    The Brewers got K-Rod for two minor leaguers whom the Brewers GM said were not prospects.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think at minimum they'll acquire say, Mike Adams from the Padres or a Brian Fuentes type.

I think at most we could see Josh Willingham come over from Oakland, he's going to get dealt, has some pop, and has the same agent as Jay Bruce whom Walt has a good relationship with.

I don't think it's going to amount to a lot more than that--and its tough to say if we need more than that. With the way Heisey plays, I feel like adding Willingham and cutting Gomes could be a really positive thing, then you go with the hot hand in left with Lewis filling in to give a blow or against tough righties.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Asleep at the wheel, as we've come to expect.

Turn Off Ads?