Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Frank Robinson have gone in the Hall as a Red?

Should Frank Robinson have gone in the Hall as a Red?

Some Stats:

- WAR: 65.7 out of his 116.3 were as a Red. 38.4 as an Oriole.
    - Frank played for the Reds 10 seasons while only 6 with the Orioles
    - Frank hit 324 of his 586 as a Red while only hitting while only 179 as an O

Robinson had larger numbers in pretty much every category across the board as a Red. I know 1966 was his standout year with the triple crown and I know he won 2 rings with the O's, but should that trump his individual career and the stats he produced as a Red? Should that have justified him going in the HoF as an O?

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should Frank Robinson have gone in the Hall as a Red?

Two rings and a triple crown trump 10 years with neither I'm afraid. It could be worse, he could've gone in as a Dodger.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Two rings and a triple crown trump 10 years with neither I'm afraid. It could be worse, he could've gone in as a Dodger.
    Yeah but the HoF doesn't elect teams in, it elects players based on individual stats, does it not?

Robinson played longer and earned more of his stats with the Reds than the Os.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah but the HoF doesn't elect teams in, it elects players based on individual stats, does it not?

Robinson played longer and earned more of his stats with the Reds than the Os.
    It elects players based on fame. We're the ones who try to make sense of the stats.

Wasn't it Robbie's choice to go in as a Oriole?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Never been to the hall, but I imagine that his exhibit includes his service with the Reds. This stuff about going in for a a certain team is overblown. I bet the Reds still claim him as a Hall of Famer.

http://baseballhall.org/hof/robinson-frank

When I did a search for F.R. on the hall site, it said his primary team was the Reds.

Also, included was the fact that he won Rookie of the Year as a Red and an MVP award as a Red.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Wasn't it Robbie's choice to go in as a Oriole?
    Yes, I think that's how it works. Except in the case of Tampa Bay Hall of Famer Wade Boggs.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Yes, I think that's how it works. Except in the case of Tampa Bay Hall of Famer Wade Boggs.
    I think after that debacle the Hall chooses for everyone now.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That is correct.

Actually, I believe it was Dave Winfield who changed the rules.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Dave Winfield: Winfield had spent the most years in his career with the Yankees and had had great success there, but chose to go into the Hall as a Padre due to his feud with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.

In 2001, the Hall of Fame decided to change the policy on cap logo selection, as a result of rumors that some teams were offering compensation, such as number retirement, money, or organizational jobs, in exchange for the cap designation. (For example, though Wade Boggs denied the claims, some media reports had said that his contract with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays required him to request depiction in the Hall of Fame as a Devil Ray.)[20] The Hall decided that it would no longer defer to the inductee, though the player's wishes would be considered, when deciding on the logo to appear on the plaque. Newly elected members affected by the change include the following:
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

So was it Winfield or Boggs that was the catalyst for the rule change?

So was it Winfield or Boggs that was the catalyst for the rule change?
    It was Winfield who was the final straw.

I wonder if the same is true of Robinson and that's why he chose to go in as an Oriole.

Based on individual numbers, as I said before, he should have gone in as a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I wonder if the same is true of Robinson and that's why he chose to go in as an Oriole.

Based on individual numbers, as I said before, he should have gone in as a Red.
    The rules were different and Robinson had some hard feelings towards the Cincinnati organization (really writer Earl Lawson) for several years afterward.

Turn Off Ads?