Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Random Perusal Around the Reds Affiliates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Random Perusal Around the Reds Affiliates

A few things popped out tonight as I skimmed the minors. I don't keep a rigorous daily tab, but I like digging in at certain points to see what's developed. In no order of importance:

1) David Vidal - 3b for the Dragons - 80 games there - 21 years old - .832 OPS - 8th rounder in 2010 out of Miami Dade JC - Garnering some mention in the prestigious Redszone Midseason Top 20 thread.

2) Daniel Renken - 21 years old - Starting in Dayton - 25th rounder out of Cal St. Fullerton in 2010 - is he the next Fairel/Klinker/Maloney type we all love to love?

3) Domonic D'Anna - 22 years old - 1b for Dayton - 31st rounder also out of Cal St. Fullerton in 2010 - .778 OPS with 50 RBI's so far - not bad, eh?

4) Lamarre, Greene, Richburg, and Fellhauer have all disappointed in the explosive California league. Although, Fellhauer and Greene have shown a decent understanding of the strike zone. For a speedy guy like Lamarre, only 8 doubles, to go with a 68/27 K/BB rate tells me he has trouble squaring the ball very often.

5) I wonder what Ken Griffey's take on this year's A+ team is? Would be a good listen on some of these high rounders that are succeeding/failing out there.

6) Is Dayton really young or just the only "age appropriate" team in the system? Most of these squads from AAA-Rk are carrying guys that are a few, if not many, years behind the curve. Has the drafting approach become too conservative throughout the entire draft? Are the Reds taking enough young players with upside?

7) Overall, the 2010 draft from top to bottom seems to be filling up rosters in the system. Meanwhile, the 2009 draft is strong at the top half and weaker at the bottom. 2008 and 2007 have each left behind just a few players now, many of them I'd guess were paid pretty well to begin their careers. I always wonder how many throw in the towel and how many get nudged along their way unwillingly. It appears you're lucky to get more than 2 years of a shot. Or lucky to put an end to it so early if you're some.

8) 2008 was maybe the weakest draft of the Walt regime, so far. Still time to go though.

9) Junior Arias is off to a poor start - .190 / .261 / .286 after 63 ab's in Billings. Wasn't he a high paid international guy? I'm trying to recall. Juan Silva is another guy in Billings who's been talked up in the past, he's OPSing .800 right now.

10) Kristopher Negron - perhaps his struggles at the plate are related to playing 2b, SS, 3b, LF, RF, and CF this year? The guy's been a soldier.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Re: Random Perusal Around the Reds Affiliates

Oh yeah, one more:

Steven Hunt, he of the .862 OPS in Bakersfield, was drafted as a LHP? Not often you see that...

Feel free to add your own musings and oddities...
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Juan Duran .261/.345/.454/.799. I have to think with his youth (19) that the batting average will go up and bump the OBP and Slugging in the process. With his size, they won't all be singles. I wonder if this kid isn't a monster in the making.

Denis Phipps .304/.364/.478/.842. Was always considered a tool box who would hopefully flip on the switch one day. He's a little older and turns 26 in a week or so. Probably needs a push to AAA and consideration for a September call-up in Cincy or to be used as a trade piece in a deal, but IMO he needs to join the crowd with Sappelt, Hermida, Alonso, Frazier as near ready OF help and provides yet another reason that at least some of these guys can be dealt.

Neftali Soto .283/.343/.585/.928 as the 1B in AA. This kid is just 22 and is putting up better numbers than Yonder Alonso ever has. With Votto here for 2 more years and Soto on the way I really wonder if Alonso is even the best choice to replace Votto if he leaves town. Soto is a little splitty with an OPS over 1.000 against LHP.

Daryl Thompson since his promotion to AAA he's put up a 2.35 ERA in 46 IP with 45 Ks and only 11 BBs. He's been a fly ball guy and has given up 6 HR in those 46 IP so he might be iffy in the big leagues, but maybe his arm is starting to bounce back from all the shoulder issues and missing most of 2009. Shoulder problems scare me but it looks like he's been pretty effective lately.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

I don't know why, but I have a feeling DT is going to be traded this year. I really don't see him with the Reds next year. He'll be out of options and I just don't think there will be room for him, even as a long man.

My observation = Billy Hamilton is fast

Alejandro Chacin: Maybe a little too obvious. As the closer for the AZL Reds, his numbers are downright cartoonish: 6 G, 7.1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 2 H, 2 BB, 18 K. He just turned 18.

Nick O'Shea: Just taking a flier here. Recent draft choice whose OPS (Billings) is pretty strong at .936. But what intrigues me is that he's played a little at catcher, after being drafted as a 1B.

Brandon Dailey: Has hit the scene in a big way for the AZL Reds, playing 2B. A Canadian who is said to be a high-character guy.

Dayne Read: Speedy outfielder had a fast start at Billings and was shot right up to Bakersfield--probably because there isn't much room at Dayton. But he has played well.

Justice French: At nearly 22, he's a little old for the AZL. But he can't do much more than he's done--one walk and 25 K in 18 innings, with a 2.00 ERA.

Eliezer Beard: Has numbers similar to French's in the same league--3 walks and 25 K in 17 IP--but is two years younger.

Brennan May Out-of-nowhere guy with an OPS over 1.000 in Arizona.

All in all...Over the past 3-4 years .I have had more faith, that the future is bright for this organization. IMO, Walt has done a good job, of doing his job. This team has the makings to be a contender for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    All in all...Over the past 3-4 years .I have had more faith, that the future is bright for this organization. IMO, Walt has done a good job, of doing his job. This team has the makings to be a contender for years.

I agree with you entirely. There are too many day traders playing GM on some parts of RZ at times. The Reds are cultivating a solid farm system that will pay nice dividends.

I am really noticing Soto, we always thought he had the bat and he is coming around this year.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    I am really noticing Soto, we always thought he had the bat and he is coming around this year.
    The really odd part of the Soto story is that he really didn't break out until after his wrist injury. He's been really good since then.

After watching David Vidal all season, he has become my favorite player in the system

I don't know why but there is just something about him that I really like. And you cant go wrong with a 3B that can hit and actually stick at 3B

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    After watching David Vidal all season, he has become my favorite player in the system

I don't know why but there is just something about him that I really like. And you cant go wrong with a 3B that can hit and actually stick at 3B
    I'm with you. I think he's a future major leaguer and one of the must underrated players in the system. I don't think he'll ever be a star player or anything, but I really liked the pick when it happened.

I'll throw Yorman into the mix, I saw him play the other day and thought he looked more comfortable at the plate compared to earlier in the season. Sure enough, second half splits show that he might be turning the corner a little bit.

.348 / .516 / .865

Post break numbers with 10 RBI in the last 10 games, compared to 28 over the first 60.
    Last edited by partisan; 07-18-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Duran, Rodriguez & Hamilton will get preferential treatment by the organization because of the money tied up in them.

The good news is that they will deserve that treatment. I've watched multiple games of all 3 this year.

Duran: Huge, absolutely huge. Very athletic for his size. This guy makes Dunn look like a normal size guy. eta 2014

Rodriguez: Best arm I've ever seen from Centerfield, extremely quick bat. He's perfect for Center now, but he has that look of a kid that will fill out and force a move to a corner outfield spot. If he can stay in Center, he'll increase his value big time. eta 2014

Hamilton: Will one day lead off and play either Shortstop or Second Base and be a perennial 80 Stolen Base guy. The question is whether he has the arm to stay at short. eta 2014

All 3 are going to be Major League Players. I just hope we don't trade any of them.

Turn Off Ads?