The glass is 1/3 full....

Re: Reds host Cards 7-16-11

The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

As much as we make jokes, we are Chris Carpenter's b**ch.

It's crazy how much we fail with RISP. Bruce, Heisey, Rolen, etc...

And we are finding ways to leave Votto on deck.

Well I guess two wins in a row were just too much to ask. It has been over a month now. Treading water. At least the Pirates and the Brewers are losing.

Dusty didn't blow the game tonight, but if heisey would have made it a 4-3 game with a hit in the 8th inning, it would have been yet another Dusty special.

The 4th run for the Cards was a situation where Bray was ready and Arroyo was left in 1 batter to long.

That said, the game changed when Bruce grounded into a double play in the 3rd with 1 out and the bases juiced. Carpenter was losing his composer and we had our chance and missed it.

I hope Heisey doesn't sit the bench now because of the base running gaffe and the strikeout in the 8th. Dusty, if your name is Stubbs, will watch you strike out 220 times, when your name is Heisey...well...you just get the feeling that Dusty will sit him over anything he can. It makes it tough on Heisey because it has happened like that all year and it has to put enormous pressure on him. Heisey must feel like he has to hit 2 or 3 homeruns every night. Hell...he hit 2 last night...and was promptly dropped all the way to 7th the next night and I'll bet you dougnuts to dollars that he is sitting tommorow.

Oh well, lets go get them tommorow and win ther series. The lineup will probably be:

Stubbs
    Cosart
    Votto
    Phiilips
    Bruce
    Gomes
    Cairo
    Hernandez (He''ll bat 8th even though he's hitting well over .300)
    Bailey

Cosart may sit, Heisey didn't hit a homerun...so he is as good as benched.

Go Reds!
    Last edited by FireDusty; 07-16-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    Marty and Keels are trying to understand the double switch that puts a worse defender in LF. Good luck fellas.
    BakerMetrics

He was mad at Heisey for striking out in the 8th.

Heisey is benched tommorow.

Is it me or do the Reds lose a ton of runners on the bases?

I would say it is a big game tomorrow. But they are all starting to get big.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    BakerMetrics

He was mad at Heisey for striking out in the 8th.

Heisey is benched tommorow.
    The score was 4-1 and Heisey made the last out in the 8th. Why would Dusty be concerned about him getting another at bat?

I would assume he double switched Heisey out since he was the last out, put Lewis in since Gomes was used, and had Lewis hitting 9th, 2nd in the following inning. It has nothing to do with punishment, Heisey wasn't getting another at bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    The score was 4-1 and Heisey made the last out in the 8th. Why would Dusty be concerned about him getting another at bat?

I would assume he double switched Heisey out since he was the last out, put Lewis in since Gomes was used, and had Lewis hitting 9th, 2nd in the following inning. It has nothing to do with punishment, Heisey wasn't getting another at bat.
    Of course, I am assuming that neither LeCure nor eventually Bray was going to pitch the 10th if it got there. So it didn't make one bit of difference to switch them. The correct move would have been to just make the pitching change IMO. That way when the second spot came up in the 9th you would have the option of using a LH or RH pinch hitter depending upon the pitcher. If the first batter gets on then LaRussa has to make a decision as to who is going to pitch. And you counter with either Lewis or Cozart/Hernandez. By making the double switch you lock a LH batter into that second spot in the 9th because Lewis was the last outfielder available. Advantage LaRussa. You also have a poorer fielder in left in the top of the 9th. Advantage Cardinals. And you effectively pull Heisey from the rest of the game, no matter how long it might have gone, for Lewis. Advantage Cardinals.
    Dusty Double-Switch strikes again.

Just watched the lowlights and what was Stubbs thinking when he got doubled off of second. That ball had no chance of falling in anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Of course, I am assuming that neither LeCure nor eventually Bray was going to pitch the 10th if it got there. So it didn't make one bit of difference to switch them. The correct move would have been to just make the pitching change IMO. That way when the second spot came up in the 9th you would have the option of using a LH or RH pinch hitter depending upon the pitcher. If the first batter gets on then LaRussa has to make a decision as to who is going to pitch. And you counter with either Lewis or Cozart/Hernandez. By making the double switch you lock a LH batter into that second spot in the 9th because Lewis was the last outfielder available. Advantage LaRussa. You also have a poorer fielder in left in the top of the 9th. Advantage Cardinals. And you effectively pull Heisey from the rest of the game, no matter how long it might have gone, for Lewis. Advantage Cardinals.
    Dusty Double-Switch strikes again.
    We knew it was going to be Salas. I'm not saying I would have done it exactly the same, I would have had Cozart hitting for Renteria in the 9th and I would have hit Ramon for Hanigan, the speed of that first runner on in a 3 run game doesn't really matter. But I do understand where Dusty was coming from on the double switch.

Heisey wasn't going to get another at bat unless it went to extras, and if that happened we'd have to deal with it. It's not uncommon to be double switched out when you make the last out in a later inning in a ballgame. Delsasco (sp*) made the last out in the 9th and I believe Jon Jay was on deck. I know it's a long shot, but assuming we do put 3 up in the bottom of the 9th and go to extras, making that double switch allows Dusty to leave Bray in for Jay (if he wanted). I have no problem with Lewis pinch hitting in the 9th for our pitchers spot so I don't really have any problems with him being part of the double switch. Even with the difference on defense.

Turn Off Ads?