Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Choking Up

  1. #1
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,717

    Choking Up

    I know nobody does it any more (it's either the new bat design or it's considered unmanly or something), but it breaks my purist, old-timer heart to see Drew Stubbs hit with his hands way down on the knob of the bat, given his propensity for whiffing. Does no one ever even consider having him choke up a couple of inches, slapping the ball and running like Drew Stubbs can to first?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I know nobody does it any more (it's either the new bat design or it's considered unmanly or something), but it breaks my purist, old-timer heart to see Drew Stubbs hit with his hands way down on the knob of the bat, given his propensity for whiffing. Does no one ever even consider having him choke up a couple of inches, slapping the ball and running like Drew Stubbs can to first?
    Hitting > Slapping. Stubbs has 25+ HR potential. Let him swing the bat.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,540

    Re: Choking Up

    Just noticed Pence choking the bat in the All-Star Game.

  5. #4
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Just noticed Pence choking the bat in the All-Star Game.
    You think he'd be more careful and only do that in private.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,011

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Hitting > Slapping. Stubbs has 25+ HR potential. Let him swing the bat.
    So for the sake of maybe him potentially hitting 25 home runs..... instead of becoming just a better hitter in overall and getting on base to use his speed, you would rather he just swing away and potentially turn into Corey Patterson?

  7. #6
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    So for the sake of maybe him potentially hitting 25 home runs..... instead of becoming just a better hitter in overall and getting on base to use his speed, you would rather he just swing away and potentially turn into Corey Patterson?
    I think his best overall value is to utilize all of his tools. I don't think choking up on the bat is going to significantly increase his contact rate, so yes, I'd rather him still swing for power, and continue to be a positive offensive contributor.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,011

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I think his best overall value is to utilize all of his tools. I don't think choking up on the bat is going to significantly increase his contact rate, so yes, I'd rather him still swing for power, and continue to be a positive offensive contributor.
    Ok. I mean I would rather have his power and speed combo as well....... I just think these bad stretches get into his head beacuse people around cannot stop talking about them. And I do not mean us at Redszone.

  9. #8
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I think his best overall value is to utilize all of his tools. I don't think choking up on the bat is going to significantly increase his contact rate, so yes, I'd rather him still swing for power, and continue to be a positive offensive contributor.
    He's looking to be more in the mold of Mike Cameron each and every day. Sure he has value, but there's also room for improvement.

  10. #9
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Choking Up

    How about choking up with two strikes?
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  11. #10
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,179

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    He's looking to be more in the mold of Mike Cameron each and every day. Sure he has value, but there's also room for improvement.
    I'd be more then happy if Stubbs' prime matches Cameron's prime.

  12. #11
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'd be more then happy if Stubbs' prime matches Cameron's prime.
    As would I.

  13. #12
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'd be more then happy if Stubbs' prime matches Cameron's prime.
    He's got a way to go before getting to Cameron's prime, however.

  14. #13
    Mr. Underhill signalhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Manchester, KY
    Posts
    441

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'd be more then happy if Stubbs' prime matches Cameron's prime.
    Yep. From 1999-2004, Cameron was a 29.3 WAR player (average of 4.9 per year) per Fangraphs. I'd be absolutely thrilled with that from Stubbs.

  15. #14
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Choking Up

    Choking up won't help if he can't get that loop and hitch out of his swing.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  16. #15
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Choking Up

    Quote Originally Posted by signalhome View Post
    Yep. From 1999-2004, Cameron was a 29.3 WAR player (average of 4.9 per year) per Fangraphs. I'd be absolutely thrilled with that from Stubbs.
    As would I, but Stubbs isn't as far off from that pace as you might think. He posted a 4.0 WAR last year, and is on pace for about a 3.5 WAR this season. And that's based strictly on his offensive production, as his defensive marks are about average.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25