Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ichiro batting .260. Is he done?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Ichiro batting .260. Is he done?

He's never been a good OPS guy, but this year even his batting average is bad (.260). Never thought I'd see that out of Ichiro. Then again, he is 37. We probably think of him as younger than he is since he didn't arrive in MLB until he was 26 or so.

Oh well, what a hell of a player he has been. But it looks like he's close to done. At least in terms of being an elite player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ichiro batting .260. Is he done?

I'm not ready to call it on him. He has been such a consistent player that it might be too early to say that he is done. You are right though, he is getting up in age. Still, this might be one of those traditional off years that most major league players have. I would still want him on my team, lol.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Wow, Blitz, I didn't realize Ichiro was having such a poor season. Before this season, he never had a big league season with an OPS+ of under 100. This year he has an OPS + of 80. Granted, there is still time for Ichiro to bounce back, but it appears that he could be on the downslide of his career.

Ichiro has always scratched out a lot of extra hits with his speed. Just watching him this year it is very apparent he has lost a step. His BABIP has seen a huge drop off, which in most players would suggest a bounce back is in order. I'm not so sure with Ichiro, as a big chunk of the lost hits are now infield ground outs. Oddly enough his BB% is up a tick.

Turn Off Ads?