Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

They call me "chef"

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Breaking Bad is base pulp for the uneducated masses who want their story lacking a human depth expanding beyond the medium. It's Hee Haw if Hee Haw were set in New Mexico and broadcast on basic cable.

Also, where is Flynn???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    For me The Wire was incredibly cerebral and challenged me to think about how I viewed the world, people, etc.... There was an intellectual/philosophical component to The Wire that is unmatched, IMO.

Breaking Bad is intriguing, with good acting, great characters, good plotting, intense scenes but nothing more really. I can't recall it ever provoking much deep thought. So many of the underlying premises have been pretty far-fetched and lacking believability, where The Wire seemed so real (except season 5, which I am pretending never happened). But Breaking Bad is still great drama. The Wire was so much more than that, at least for me.
    Well said. The question is, Why can't Breaking Bad/Joey Votto be more like The Wire/Miguel Cabrera?

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

4. Likes:

NebraskaRed (08-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Well said. The question is, Why can't Breaking Bad/Joey Votto be more like The Wire/Miguel Cabrera?

If Breaking Bad would only expand its zone in the last few episodes...

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I can't say it better than you did, so I'll just say I completely agree. Breaking Bad is an incredible show, but The Wire and The Sopranos (the two best shows of all time...so far) had a depth to them that made you think about them long after the series had completed. The Wire and The Sopranos had so many things to say about human nature, addiction, the legal system, politics, sex, family, etc. Those shows are art.

Breaking Bad is an amazingly entertaining show, one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen, but it's not art.
    I haven't yet watched The Wire, against my better judgment as I've heard rave reviews, but I disagree that Breaking Bad doesn't have depth to it. A lot of what makes the story so compelling is that it's based on Walt's motivation and the inner workings of his mind and why he does the things he does. It's a lot like Tony Soprano in that regard, except that the focus of The Sopranos was Dr. Melfi bringing those issues to the surface rather with Walt, you have to read into his actions; his body language; his words; etc.

Breaking Bad isn't just about the drama, it's really about good people and bad people and why they do good things and bad things. I think the show is so good not just because of the suspense, but because of how they compare and contrast personalities and each person's demons with how they handle them.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Breaking Bad is base pulp for the uneducated masses who want their story lacking a human depth expanding beyond the medium. It's Hee Haw if Hee Haw were set in New Mexico and broadcast on basic cable.

?
    I don't know about that. One thing is for sure they didn't dispose of bodies on Hee Haw nearly as efficiently as they do on Breaking Bad. Remember when Don Rich died in that "motor cycle accident" and the rest of The Buckaroos just crudely cut his body to pieces with a chain saw? Walt would have never gone for that.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

8. Likes:

RichRed (08-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I haven't yet watched The Wire, against my better judgment as I've heard rave reviews, but I disagree that Breaking Bad doesn't have depth to it. A lot of what makes the story so compelling is that it's based on Walt's motivation and the inner workings of his mind and why he does the things he does. It's a lot like Tony Soprano in that regard, except that the focus of The Sopranos was Dr. Melfi bringing those issues to the surface rather with Walt, you have to read into his actions; his body language; his words; etc.

Breaking Bad isn't just about the drama, it's really about good people and bad people and why they do good things and bad things. I think the show is so good not just because of the suspense, but because of how they compare and contrast personalities and each person's demons with how they handle them.
    Yeah, I just don't see it. That may be what they intended, but I don't think they're pulling that off...as good as the show is. There may be one minute of trying to think about what cancer may lead one to do, but then the minute is over and there's no longer any real "thought" behind it. Walt may experience some conflict here and there throughout, but most of the characters are pretty one dimensional, with the exception of Jesse. He really could be a character in The Wire. Breaking Bad is great drama, great story lines, but it's not a character depth show. I doubt they ever intended it to be. There's nothing real about the character of Walter White, IMO.

When you get around to watching The Wire I think you'll understand. But I love Breaking Bad for what it is. It doesn't need to be The Wire. I brought it up only because how much I like the character of Jesse. He's the one character that reminded me of The Wire.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yeah, I just don't see it. That may be what they intended, but I don't think they're pulling that off...as good as the show is. There may be one minute of trying to think about what cancer may lead one to do, but then the minute is over and there's no longer any real "thought" behind it. Walt may experience some conflict here and there throughout, but most of the characters are pretty one dimensional, with the exception of Jesse. He really could be a character in The Wire. Breaking Bad is great drama, great story lines, but it's not a character depth show. I doubt they ever intended it to be. There's nothing real about the character of Walter White, IMO.

When you get around to watching The Wire I think you'll understand. But I love Breaking Bad for what it is. It doesn't need to be The Wire. I brought it up only because how much I like the character of Jesse. He's the one character that reminded me of The Wire.
    In Vince's words, it most definitely is. Vince said all along is that he wanted to take an ordinary guy and bring him along a character transformation from "Mr. Chips to Scarface." However, they couldn't make the protagonist an antagonist at risk of losing viewers, so they had to use other characters' flaws and other antagonists to contrast him against in order for people to maintain some level of sympathy or at least a vague attachment.

If you notice, Breaking Bad has something very much in common with Sopranos is that in order for people to still root for, or at least not dislike Walter, they have to established other threats and other people that you enjoy seeing hurt or killed. They are establishing depth to keep the main character having sympathetic motives and a rooting interest.

I'm not saying there aren't other shows that are deeper. Heck, LOST is one of the most in-depth shows at building characters I've ever seen. Breaking Bad certainly isn't on that level. But whether you realize it or not, Breaking Bad would have never survived as a show if they weren't building the depth of other characters. It's the only reason an anti-hero can survive as a fascinating protagonist without alienating the show's viewers.
    Last edited by Brutus; 08-21-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    In Vince's words, it most definitely is. Vince said all along is that he wanted to take an ordinary guy and bring him along a character transformation from "Mr. Chips to Scarface." However, they couldn't make the protagonist an antagonist at risk of losing viewers, so they had to use other characters' flaws and other antagonists to contrast him against in order for people to maintain some level of sympathy or at least a vague attachment.

If you notice, Breaking Bad has something very much in common with Sopranos is that in order for people to still root for, or at least not dislike Walter, they have to established other threats and other people that you enjoy seeing hurt or killed. They are establishing depth to keep the main character having sympathetic motives and a rooting interest.

I'm not saying there aren't other shows that are deeper. Heck, LOST is one of the most in-depth shows at building characters I've ever seen. Breaking Bad certainly isn't on that level. But whether you realize it or not, Breaking Bad would have never survived as a show if they weren't building the depth of other characters. It's the only reason an anti-hero can survive as a fascinating protagonist without alienating the show's viewers.
    Oh, it's definitely a character transformation show, just not a character exploration one. I just think it lacks any depth of thought about the world the characters live in. It's very much a contrived world that's a setting for the show. Mr. Chips to Scarface is what they've done and it's a lot of fun. But it's not the same as character depth. Yes, they have the anti-hero, antagonist/protagonist thing going, but it's not really authentic for me. And honestly, it's fine with me. It's a suspense thriller. Scenes like the final one in the first episode of this season is what Breaking Bad is all about. That scene was awesome and captures what's great about Breaking Bad. The chess scene in the first season of The Wire captures what that show is all about. Two different animals, great in their own way. Again, I think if you watch The Wire, you'll see where I'm coming from. I think you'll see the difference.

People compare The Sopranos to The Wire a lot and I loved The Sopranos, but I don't think they are much alike at all. In my opinion, Sopranos is also not in the same universe as The Wire. The Sopranos characters were likeable and had some depth to them, but they were still clearly TV drama characters.

It's funny you brought up Lost because I almost mentioned that show in my last post. I thought lost was total genius.....right up to the last few episodes where it fell flat for me. The character development, evolution. Lost was all about the characters and their interaction. The world they created was just a backdrop for that. It seems like the characters are a backdrop for the plot they created for Breaking Bad. Of course, this is all just my own opinion. People see different things when they watch TV.
    Last edited by MWM; 08-21-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

They call me "chef"

BB is so deep I STILL don't fully understand the fly episode 3 years later.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Oh, it's definitely a character transformation show, just not a character exploration one. I just think it lacks any depth of thought about the world the characters live in. It's very much a contrived world that's a setting for the show. Mr. Chips to Scarface is what they've done and it's a lot of fun. But it's not the same as character depth. Yes, they have the anti-hero, antagonist/protagonist thing going, but it's not really authentic for me. And honestly, it's fine with me. It's a suspense thriller. Scenes like the final one in the first episode of this season is what Breaking Bad is all about. That scene was awesome and captures what's great about Breaking Bad. The chess scene in the first season of The Wire captures what that show is all about. Two different animals, great in their own way. Again, I think if you watch The Wire, you'll see where I'm coming from. I think you'll see the difference.

People compare The Sopranos to The Wire a lot and I loved The Sopranos, but I don't think they are much alike at all. In my opinion, Sopranos is also not in the same universe as The Wire. The Sopranos characters were likeable and had some depth to them, but they were still clearly TV drama characters.

It's funny you brought up Lost because I almost mentioned that show in my last post. I thought lost was total genius.....right up to the last few episodes where it fell flat for me. The character development, evolution. Lost was all about the characters and their interaction. The world they created was just a backdrop for that. It seems like the characters are a backdrop for the plot they created for Breaking Bad. Of course, this is all just my own opinion. People see different things when they watch TV.
    I don't think that's true at all. Consider the whole plane crash arc, a giant allegory for the effect Walt has on the world around him. It definitely explores characters.

It might not be a direct parallel to the real world, but I don't think that's inherently necessary to be compelling or interesting.

I just don't get the time frame for all this stuff going down. I guess it's suppose to be less than two years, and most of the stuff happens in the last year. It seems Hank been out on sick leave more than a year alone.

Does anyone think Brock will be killed off some how?

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I just don't get the time frame for all this stuff going down. I guess it's suppose to be less than two years, and most of the stuff happens in the last year. It seems Hank been out on sick leave more than a year alone.

Does anyone think Brock will be killed off some how?
    The show started on Walt's 50th birthday and he turns 52 in the flash forward, so it's still been just a year and change. Plus Holly is still very small, and she was born at the end of season 2.

Also, where is Flynn???
    I think he found an IHOP that was open 24 hours. He will never leave.

Also, where is Flynn???
    He and Louis eloped.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

Razor Shines (08-22-2013),RichRed (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He and Louis eloped.
    Just wait until you see that Emmy winning love scene. Classy and implied. I'm glad they chose not to pretend the crutches didn't exist.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?