Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Here's how I see the show ending:

Walt decides to make a huge confession to everyone, and books himself, Skyler, Walt jr, Hank, Marie, Jesse and Saul on an exclusive boat trip. It's meant to be a just a six hour tour, but a storm hits and shipwrecks them on a deserted island, where they all have to learn to get along and find a way to get rescued. This will be the beginning of a new show, called, "Breaking Bad II: Vince Gilligan's Island."
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Likes:

CoachBombay (09-10-2013),Larkin Fan (09-10-2013),Larry Schuler (09-09-2013),Razor Shines (09-09-2013),RichRed (09-10-2013),Roy Tucker (09-09-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Still doesnt explain why Walt's house is burned down
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was Marie who did that.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was Marie who did that.
    Ooh, I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Still doesnt explain why Walt's house is burned down or necessarily why he went on the run. But I imagine those things probably happen.
    The house wasn't burned down. There's a lot of damage to it but no fire damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

Razor Shines (09-09-2013),RiverRat13 (09-09-2013)

I would have minded the show ending the way it faded out....

Question. Does anybody know the importance of Walt looking out the carwash window for so long ? It was a long scene.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

I have to agree that this week could have stood up as the finale. Second time I have thought that - last season's finale could have easily been the finale also, I'd have been satisfied.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I would have minded the show ending the way it faded out....

Question. Does anybody know the importance of Walt looking out the carwash window for so long ? It was a long scene.
    The way the blinds were open, it looked like Walt was behind prison bars. Symbolic, seeing how he's in a real tight spot with the Nazis. He feels more trapped than ever.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    That's a relatively new take on things, though. It is a fact that attitudes toward television have changed in Hollywood since premium cable channels started producing their own shows. The difference didn't initially happen in the medium, which was always able to develop characters over a longer period of time; it happened in the $$$. Paid cable channels devoted much more money to developing programming and also took away the need for advertising interruptions, both of which made television much more attractive to writers. That produced more quality television, which in turn continued to attract more writers and then better actors and directors. Also cinematographers, which is much overlooked, I think -- the fact that television now often looks as good as movies, when it used to be limited to a sound stage and one or two outdoor locations, makes an enormous difference in the way audiences perceive television, even subconsciously.

And it's cyclical: the quality is so high now that I think it *has* started to change the medium. Better actors, directors and writers raise the expectation of, e.g., strong character and thematic development over time. The advent of DVD and the internet means that things will be analyzed, referred back to, put in full context: that absolutely affects how these things are put together.

Now it's so widespread that it's moved even to non-premium cable channels. Television used to be very much the second tier for actors and directors and writers, the thing that you did when you couldn't get work in movies. Now it's evened out so much that the pendulum is almost starting to swing to the other side. We talk about this ALL the time in my field. It's very quickly moving toward the point where television is depleting most other fields of its best writers -- as well it should, with how well it's advanced.
    One thing that first started with the premium channels but has made its way down to the cable tier is the amount of sex, drugs, language, and violence that is permitted today. As movie 10+ years ago BB would have been considered R rated. The freedom to incorporate R rated ideas into cable TV shows have given writers and directors much more leeway to entertain "adult" topics. Look at some of the greatest TV shows in the past 10-15 years. Every single one of the pushed the envelop. Every single one of them took a taboo topic, dove into that topic, made edgy episodes, and made unforgettable shows. If you look at shows The Wire and Breaking Bad, drugs, The Soprano's, mob, Mad Men, sex, booze, womanizing, etc. all took ideas that few were eager to dive into and turned those ideas into riveting TV.

There is a great deal of money in TV today but often times TV shows don't start out that way. Breaking Bad went out to New Mexico because there wasn't money in California to do the show. They went with a cast of nobodies. Which brings up an even larger point, often times the best TV shows are with actors who don't have a high profile past. They are with actors who have been out of the limelight for a while or never were in it. They aren't type cast so you don't go into the show seeing one guy while the writers are trying to develop another. Often times the TV shows that become great successes have low budgets to start but get massive ones once they get going.

One final thought on the TV vs Movie topic. I find it very similar to reading a book and then watching a movie. Often times I will make my wife watch a movie of a book I read. While I know the entire back story my wife can get lost from time to time. Its easy to develop a character or story when you have 500 pages to do so. It isn't so easy when you have 2 hours. A small yet important back story may take up 30 pages in a novel but will be omitted from a movie because of time. I think TV is similar to reading a novel. You can create entire episodes that do nothing but lay the groundwork for future episodes. In movies you just can't do that.

one last point for now about TV vs film, no movie studio would have gambled on taking three actors that had a background in comedy as main characters in a drama. Bryan Cranston said none of the actors will be pigeon holed into roles by Hollywood now. Bob Odenkirk and Betsy Brandt two others that said serious roles were hard to come by six years ago.

John Hamm even said everybody wanted me for comedy and I really had to fight for a role like Don Draper.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Taking this topic on a bit of a tangent but I wonder if the stars of these shows can ever achieve that kind of acclaim and popularity on the big screen that they do in their shows. None really have so far and I'm curious as to why that is. In the case of Bryan Cranston it certainly isn't for lack of trying.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Taking this topic on a bit of a tangent but I wonder if the stars of these shows can ever achieve that kind of acclaim and popularity on the big screen that they do in their shows. None really have so far and I'm curious as to why that is. In the case of Bryan Cranston it certainly isn't for lack of trying.
    Aaron Paul was a star in Cabin In The Woods I kid he died

But speaking of Paul. I wonder how many Celebs were on The Price is Right before reaching fame

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBombay View Post
    Aaron Paul was a star in Cabin In The Woods I kid he died

But speaking of Paul. I wonder how many Celebs were on The Price is Right before reaching fame
    Last House on the Left you mean?

I think the guy who plays Todd might break out into bigger roles. That would be my longshot pick if I was betting the odds.
    Last edited by RBA; 09-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    On the Breaking Bad podcast they couldn't get Paul for a lot of the podcasts because he's been doing a ton of movies.

He was great in Smashed.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    On the Breaking Bad podcast they couldn't get Paul for a lot of the podcasts because he's been doing a ton of movies.

He was great in Smashed.
    I'm sure he has been busy. Bryan Cranston is the hardest working man in show business. But if these guys - and guys like Gandolfini (RIP) Olyphant, Lewis and Hamm are so awesome on TV, shouldn't they be deluged with roles that guys like Damon, Pitt, Affleck, Cooper, Clooney, Downey, Foxx, Tatum, Smith, Cruise and Willis get? Same thing for the women. Why isn't Edie Falco a huge movie star?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?