Turn Off Ads?
Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1082

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I actually just looked up Stevia to see if it's a real thing. It is. Wonder if this was the kind of product placement they bargained for...
    vp, you're going to have to hand in your woman card. My daughters always insist on Stevia for their slim figures.

It's a case of plain old "suspension of disbelief" if the story is compelling enough. Which it was.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the Stevia bit in all likelihood could be pulled off the majority of the time. But the possibility for failure was certainly there.

But what about Walt's cross-country trip in this day and age of license plate scanners and roadside cameras. That would be a difficult task.

Not a major complaint, but if we are pointing out plotholes that might be one. The show skipped over that so big...it was easy to miss. Walt went to NH in the bottom of a tanker-style truck for crying out loud. On the way back he just cruises in a stolen car?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    How convenient.

Like I keep saying, it's not a big deal, but that ain't exactly tight writing. That's the writers creating a perfect and extremely rare situation in order to advance an important plot point. But again, the show is not based on its realism, but on its creative story telling.

It's an epic, mythical tale that's full of rich, wonderfully complex characters. There's no way it can contain all the great foreshadowing, symbolism, and poetry, and be realistic and believable at the same time.

I think you're assuming that I think these stretches are a bad thing, or need to be corrected, or hurt the show. I'm just pointing then out because I'm annoying that way

They've been foreshadowing the use of the ricin for a long time; they established Lydia 16 episodes ago as sitting down and drinking tea; they established, in advance, she has an affinity for a particular brand of artificial sweetner; they have a protagonist who is a brilliant scientist and established he knows her routine; they thoroughly established how, when and where the scientist would know when to find this lady and used camera shots to show how she (and no one else) could wind up selecting the lethal packet.

And despite all this attention to detail, you are trying to suggest that isn't tight writing? I'm not assuming anything except why anyone would continue with such ridiculous criticism of the most well-written show on television.

Their execution of this plot is actually far more realistic than your criticism. Your concerns are full of contradictions and lack of attention to the show's details.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    vp, you're going to have to hand in your woman card. My daughters always insist on Stevia for their slim figures.
    I can barely believe it is a real thing. That's got to be one of the worst names for any product ever. It SOUNDED so made up.

edit: oh. It's a plant.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 10-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think the Stevia bit in all likelihood could be pulled off the majority of the time. But the possibility for failure was certainly there.

But what about Walt's cross-country trip in this day and age of license plate scanners and roadside cameras. That would be a difficult task.

Not a major complaint, but if we are pointing out plotholes that might be one. The show skipped over that so big...it was easy to miss. Walt went to NH in the bottom of a tanker-style truck for crying out loud. On the way back he just cruises in a stolen car?
    If you're traveling along I-40 in Oklahoma, are you very likely to know the white Volvo passing you in the left lane is a stolen vehicle in New Hampshire? He stole the thing at night. He could have been given a 12 hour headstart before it was reported stolen. By then, it's doubtful anyone would ever know it was stolen unless he were pulled over for speeding.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    If you're traveling along I-40 in Oklahoma, are you very likely to know the white Volvo passing you in the left lane is a stolen vehicle in New Hampshire? He stole the thing at night. He could have been given a 12 hour headstart before it was reported stolen. By then, it's doubtful anyone would ever know it was stolen unless he were pulled over for speeding.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ivacy/2524939/

Police were on his scent the moment he placed the call from the bar. This was not an easy cross country trip.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ivacy/2524939/

Police were on his scent the moment he placed the call from the bar. This was not an easy cross country trip.
    Here is and article from a few months ago that found only 46 percent of stolen cars are eventually recovered...

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/best-wor...194300310.html

Yes, they were on to him but they didn't know where he went and although hey may have had their suspicions, they didn't know whether he stole a car. The Volvo may not have been reported as stolen for another 12-24 hours after he stole the car. He could be halfway across the country in that time.

After that, it's a needle in a haystack. He only needed a few days to get across country. It's actually far more believable that he wouldn't be found that quickly than visa versa. The authorities wouldn't know the car was stolen until the next day; wouldn't know if he was the person that stole it; and even if they suspected he was, they wouldn't know where he's going.

If we're talking about something that may make you have a suspension of disbelief, you may want to think about Walt's robot gun. One theory I read was that Walt has never been to the Nazi's compound so how could he know the exact angle to shoot that gun. Now, I think he's been there before. I think he was there when he put the original hit on Jesse. He certainly found his way there easily enough in the last episode and knew where their clubhouse was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Only he doesn't know Jesse's cooking for the nazis so imagining it and then saving him would be a stretch that a college film wouldn't make
    Thought about mentioning this as a flaw, but even with that if someone prefers it to have been a dream, I'm ok with it. I don't agree, like I said, but when it's out there in the world I think it's the viewers decision on what to think.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Walt went to NH in the bottom of a tanker-style truck for crying out loud. On the way back he just cruises in a stolen car?
    It's also many months later, some of the heat is off.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    It's not convenient, it's intentional. He would have left one packet on purpose to make sure that she used that packet.

I guess I'm just not following what you're saying. It's not out of line for Walt to create his own circumstances based around a set of meticulous maneuvers that would be difficult for most people, but that he can control due to his knowledge of science. That is, in fact, the premise of the entire show.
    What's convenient is that Lydia always goes to the same diner, sits at the same table, always orders tea, and always uses stevia. That's not real life. That's a perfect example of a writer's convention, a world perfectly set up for the details of a complex plot to all work out neatly.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What's convenient is that Lydia always goes to the same diner, sits at the same table, always orders tea, and always uses stevia. That's not real life. That's a perfect example of a writer's convention, a world perfectly set up for the details of a complex plot to all work out neatly.
    You must not know many C or D-type personalities, especially businessmen. That absolutely is real life for some people.

I actually know several people that are extremely regimented like that. They're predictable in that they do things in a very repeatable routine. In fact, I myself have a habit of sitting at the same booth everytime I go to certain places and I know people that do indeed go to the same place at a set time every week. In fact, when I heard Walt say that, I chuckled because there are a few people it instantly reminded me of.
    Last edited by Brutus; 10-07-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's also many months later, some of the heat is off.
    Nah, his phone call to the police got the fire started again.

Nationwide manhunt.

Police sure, but he's not on the nightly news/newspapers, etc. anymore, which is the real danger in getting caught. Getting recognized by a civilian.

Certainly not unrealistic enough that he could make it back to ABQ to bother me personally, but YMMV.

You also have to remember that they are looking for a bald guy with wire-rimmed glasses and a goatee not with a guy with a full head of hair, plastic-rimmed glasses and a beard.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

17. Likes:

Brutus (10-08-2013),Razor Shines (10-08-2013),Redsfaithful (10-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?