Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I always thought it would look bad on Hank if Walt got busted, since it was right under his nose the whole time.
    There was a similar situation where Hank's former boss resigned/was fired after Gus was killed because he and Gus were friendly. Hank has to realize how bad it would look if people found out Heisenberg was his brother in law and had been making meth under his nose for all this time.

Just speculation but I think Walt finds out Hank knows who he is and that's why he takes it on the lam.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    If Walt is due for any kind of redemption I feel like that has to be part of it...or not that it has to be, but it would be very effective on top of any kind of come-to-jesus moment on a personal level (which absolutely does have to happen). Walt rationalizes everything he's doing on a very inward-looking, oblivious level; he cannot rationalize effectively if he looks outside of himself. A realization of that world, the chain reactions of what his actions set off, would go a long way in closing up the show and re-humanizing him, because the disconnect from his family doesn't seem to be helping him toward those realizations. Of course, as covered, it will probably be too late.
    IIRC, he seemed to be somewhat reconciled with his family in the last episode. He and Skylar seemed at peace with all the money in the storage locker and he seemed to be getting along better with everyone at the party where Hank saw the book.

I don't know if they want him to be re-humanized, though. They have been making Walt more and more unsympathetic as the show has gone on. They don't seem to be giving him any moments where he becomes sympathetic as they did with Tony on the Sopranos and Don on Mad Men. That doesn't seem to be the case with Walt as of yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    IIRC, he seemed to be somewhat reconciled with his family in the last episode. He and Skylar seemed at peace with all the money in the storage locker and he seemed to be getting along better with everyone at the party where Hank saw the book.

I don't know if they want him to be re-humanized, though. They have been making Walt more and more unsympathetic as the show has gone on. They don't seem to be giving him any moments where he becomes sympathetic as they did with Tony on the Sopranos and Don on Mad Men. That doesn't seem to be the case with Walt as of yet.
    He has to have SOME kind of redemption or regret. Even fleeting, even after a further descent, and almost certainly too little, too late. it would fly in the face of every dramatic convention for him not to, and it would be boring, and everyone would be angry.

I think he has further hell to go through and I think his lessons learned will come from his losing control of the ability to make things better (i.e., he may be regretful, but he cannot be redeemed). But he has to get to something like that in some form. And I agree that's what they were hinting at in the last episode -- he's starting to get back to grips with reality, and then Hank finds the book and spoils it. I can't put my finger on why, but I feel that this came from more than the threat of losing his family. Somewhere inside I think Jesse's moral stance of walking away was a wake-up call to him, and I also think that he has or will come to regret Mike's death. That was the first death that came purely out of anger, not "protection" or defense or even revenge. It was totally ego-driven, and even though he was a jerk as Mike was sitting there dying, I felt like there was a fleeing moment of that realization on Walt's face right after he shot him. I am way too invested in this.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    He has to have SOME kind of redemption or regret. Even fleeting, even after a further descent, and almost certainly too little, too late. it would fly in the face of every dramatic convention for him not to, and it would be boring, and everyone would be angry.

I think he has further hell to go through and I think his lessons learned will come from his losing control of the ability to make things better (i.e., he may be regretful, but he cannot be redeemed). But he has to get to something like that in some form. And I agree that's what they were hinting at in the last episode -- he's starting to get back to grips with reality, and then Hank finds the book and spoils it. I can't put my finger on why, but I feel that this came from more than the threat of losing his family. Somewhere inside I think Jesse's moral stance of walking away was a wake-up call to him, and I also think that he has or will come to regret Mike's death. That was the first death that came purely out of anger, not "protection" or defense or even revenge. It was totally ego-driven, and even though he was a jerk as Mike was sitting there dying, I felt like there was a fleeing moment of that realization on Walt's face right after he shot him. I am way too invested in this.
    I think Jessie is the one true likable character in the show. I think he is the one guy who most fans would want to see survive. He has always kinda been this reluctant sidekick who let Walt walk over him. For the most part Walt has protected him but seemed to get mad whenever Jessie didn't respond to his wishes.

In the past season there were two changes I noticed with Walt. The first one was when he killed Mike. I think it showed that if you stood in his way Walt was going to kill you. Then at the end of the season you have Walt seemingly at peace with being out of the game.

The only thing we do know is Saul survives because he has a spin off. Other than that I am clueless. In the back of my head now I keep going back to when Walt said something akin to "I am the one who knocks." Is the foreshadowing that started the previous season Walt on a rampage to defend his family?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The only thing we do know is Saul survives because he has a spin off.
    We don't even know that because the spinoff may be a prequel. You may even see the occasional Gus Fring appearance in it.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    We don't even know that because the spinoff may be a prequel. You may even see the occasional Gus Fring appearance in it.
    More Gus=win.

I watched a little bit more of the Season 2 tonight and I think this series has only had two bad subplots so far: Skylar's affair and Marie's stealing illness.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I watched a little bit more of the Season 2 tonight and I think this series has only had two bad subplots so far: Skylar's affair and Marie's stealing illness.
    Skylar's affair was a vital aspect to giving Ted money, as her feelings for Ted were intertwined with being willing to help him cook the books. I think it was an important subplot in this subtext.

Marie's thievery, in my opinion, was just a way for the writer's to stack up Skylar's struggle with everyone around her losing their moral compass. It sort of forced her to accept Walt's 'profession' a bit more because she couldn't stand on moral ground with her sister being a thief and her boss cooking the books. I agree that this wasn't all that enjoyable an angle, but I do think it served a real purpose.

It's amazing watching from the second season onward a second and third time at how many clues were left by the writers to foreshadow events.

For instance: in the episode before season four's "End Times," when Walt is sitting by the pool playing roulette by spinning the gun on the table beside him, he looks to his right at the Lily of the Valley plant. That's when he concocts the idea to make Brock sick with it. Of course, no one could have known that was what he was looking at or why.

A few episodes earlier, they also foreshadowed Ted's slip as he was in the kitchen when Skylar came over and he almost tripped over the rug. They zoom in as he makes it a point to use his foot to straighten the rug.

I'm now thinking that due to these clues, they might go all the way with Walt breaking bad. Vince has been vocal about the Scarface influences on the show and it's worth noting that when Walt is watching the last scene in Scarface with junior right before Tony is killed on his rampage, he says "everyone gets killed in these movies."' Coupled with Mike's observation that Walt was a ticking time bomb, it may have been another hint, especially given the appearance of the automatic weapon in the season five flash forward. I am actually hoping for Hank to look the other way and Walt to live on, but it seems doubtful at this point.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Marie's thievery, in my opinion, was just a way for the writer's to stack up Skylar's struggle with everyone around her losing their moral compass. It sort of forced her to accept Walt's 'profession' a bit more because she couldn't stand on moral ground with her sister being a thief and her boss cooking the books. I agree that this wasn't all that enjoyable an angle, but I do think it served a real purpose.
    It also laid a lot of groundwork for the nature of Hank and Marie's marriage. Marie became a very sympathetic character through Hank's convalescence when he was pretty much intolerable -- realistically so given his situation, but still. Her being presented as a harpy with her own set of problems earlier on kept her from being perceived as an angel throughout that storyline. Plus, she came back to those habits when she went on that lying real-estate binge, showing just another example of how people's morality can to to pot in stressful situations.

And Hank standing with her (he knew about the stealing, right?) says something about the strength of their marriage, which often seems so awful. I have a feeling this may come into play in the final season, Marie having to make some choices between her husband and her sister.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    More Gus=win.
    I re-watched "Trading Places" recently and became giddy when I noticed that "Gus" was one of Eddie Murphy's cellmates at the beginning of the movie.

Apologies for the interlude.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

thats the best part of watching old movies and or TV shows. Seeing old scense of Walt on Seinfield or King of Queens is much more interesting now, than when he was the Dad on Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    thats the best part of watching old movies and or TV shows. Seeing old scense of Walt on Seinfield or King of Queens is much more interesting now, than when he was the Dad on Malcolm.
    Its kinda funny because when I first started watching the show I didn't think Bryan Cranston was a good cast because of Malcolm in the Middle. It took me a couple of episodes to get past that and now feel like he was a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its kinda funny because when I first started watching the show I didn't think Bryan Cranston was a good cast because of Malcolm in the Middle. It took me a couple of episodes to get past that and now feel like he was a great choice.
    I had that thought too initially, but in hindsight it actually it made a lot of sense from the standpoint they wanted someone who was seen as a regular guy, nerdy and even a bit of a pushover. It was a gamble, but since the transformation had to start at the very beginning, his casting accomplished that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I believe, as the story goes, the producers were not sold on Bryan either, but he had worked with Vince in an episode of X-files, and Vince said he had Bryan in mind from the get go because of that episode. He's said that once he showed the episode of Bryan on X-files, everyone else was on board.

15. Likes:

Razor Shines (07-15-2013)

Another Eddie Murphy connection: Jonathan "Mike Ehrmantraut" Banks was in "Beverly Hills Cop."

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

17. Likes:

Chip R (07-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I believe, as the story goes, the producers were not sold on Bryan either, but he had worked with Vince in an episode of X-files, and Vince said he had Bryan in mind from the get go because of that episode. He's said that once he showed the episode of Bryan on X-files, everyone else was on board.
    Yeah. Bryan told that story on the Nerdist podcast. Crazy. I need to go re-listen to that because Bryan talked about the actors that the producers wanted but I can't remember who they were now.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?