Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Honestly I think some of it has to do with the format.

Television is a much more interesting medium than cinema because it affords good writers and show runners the opportunity to fully develop characters and plots in ways that simply aren't possible with a full length feature film. Movies are more of a vignette, which sort of limits what you can do as a writer. For example part of the genius of Breaking Bad is that we've gotten to witness Walt evolve over the years from a desperate man doing whatever he could to take care of his family into a sociopath and I don't think that metamorphosis would have been nearly as profound over the course of couple hours.
    That's a relatively new take on things, though. It is a fact that attitudes toward television have changed in Hollywood since premium cable channels started producing their own shows. The difference didn't initially happen in the medium, which was always able to develop characters over a longer period of time; it happened in the $$$. Paid cable channels devoted much more money to developing programming and also took away the need for advertising interruptions, both of which made television much more attractive to writers. That produced more quality television, which in turn continued to attract more writers and then better actors and directors. Also cinematographers, which is much overlooked, I think -- the fact that television now often looks as good as movies, when it used to be limited to a sound stage and one or two outdoor locations, makes an enormous difference in the way audiences perceive television, even subconsciously.

And it's cyclical: the quality is so high now that I think it *has* started to change the medium. Better actors, directors and writers raise the expectation of, e.g., strong character and thematic development over time. The advent of DVD and the internet means that things will be analyzed, referred back to, put in full context: that absolutely affects how these things are put together.

Now it's so widespread that it's moved even to non-premium cable channels. Television used to be very much the second tier for actors and directors and writers, the thing that you did when you couldn't get work in movies. Now it's evened out so much that the pendulum is almost starting to swing to the other side. We talk about this ALL the time in my field. It's very quickly moving toward the point where television is depleting most other fields of its best writers -- as well it should, with how well it's advanced.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Honestly I think some of it has to do with the format.

Television is a much more interesting medium than cinema because it affords good writers and show runners the opportunity to fully develop characters and plots in ways that simply aren't possible with a full length feature film. Movies are more of a vignette, which sort of limits what you can do as a writer. For example part of the genius of Breaking Bad is that we've gotten to witness Walt evolve over the years from a desperate man doing whatever he could to take care of his family into a sociopath and I don't think that metamorphosis would have been nearly as profound over the course of couple hours.
    Yeah. With movies, you only have one chance to make an impression. So, writers and directors tend to play it safe and make the movies formulaic. Plus - with the blockbusters - you have a lot of money invested in the movie and probably have suits with their fingerprints all over the movie. You are appealing to the greatest common denominator. With TV, you can recover from a poor start. There isn't that great of a risk so they can experiment more. Plus it's safe these days to have your lead as an anti-hero.

Back to the show, I would be sad to see it happen but it almost seems that Jesse has to die. Besides cooking meth, what else does he have in life if he won't be with Andrea and Brock?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Here's my theory/prediction on how this plays out from here. I just came up with it, so feel free to poke holes in things I haven't thought out. I swear I know nothing about the future episodes (I don't even watch scenes from next week).

Hank and Gomie run out of ammunition. The gunfire ceases once the Nazi's figure this out. Walt is screaming at Jack through the hole thing, begging them to spare the cops. He tells them he will not cook for them if they cops are killed. They Nazi's take Hank/Gomie prisoner, along with Walt, and go straight to the lab. Walt and Hank agree that he will let Walt leave town in exchange for saving Hank's life. Something crazy is going to happen there, and I don't think the Nazi's stay true to their word, and Gomie/Hank are killed. Walt vanishes, but comes back (the flash forward) for revenge on the Nazi's.

I'm sure there are a million holes that can be poked there. I have no clue what's going to happen with Jesse. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    That's a relatively new take on things, though. It is a fact that attitudes toward television have changed in Hollywood since premium cable channels started producing their own shows. The difference didn't initially happen in the medium, which was always able to develop characters over a longer period of time; it happened in the $$$. Paid cable channels devoted much more money to developing programming and also took away the need for advertising interruptions, both of which made television much more attractive to writers. That produced more quality television, which in turn continued to attract more writers and then better actors and directors. Also cinematographers, which is much overlooked, I think -- the fact that television now often looks as good as movies, when it used to be limited to a sound stage and one or two outdoor locations, makes an enormous difference in the way audiences perceive television, even subconsciously.

And it's cyclical: the quality is so high now that I think it *has* started to change the medium. Better actors, directors and writers raise the expectation of, e.g., strong character and thematic development over time. The advent of DVD and the internet means that things will be analyzed, referred back to, put in full context: that absolutely affects how these things are put together.

Now it's so widespread that it's moved even to non-premium cable channels. Television used to be very much the second tier for actors and directors and writers, the thing that you did when you couldn't get work in movies. Now it's evened out so much that the pendulum is almost starting to swing to the other side. We talk about this ALL the time in my field. It's very quickly moving toward the point where television is depleting most other fields of its best writers -- as well it should, with how well it's advanced.
    That's a very fair point. I guess that I'd argue that as a medium television always had that advantage but simply didn't use it because executives were concerned about the commercial viability of a serialized show and opted to go with the safer, more traditional, episodic structure. It took a show like the Sopranos to demonstrate that a serialized show could be commercially successful before executives were willing to dive in with both feet but once that happened creative types (atleast on the writing and producing side) were naturally drawn to the format because of all of those inherent advantages.

I'm sort of curious to see if the gravitation on the production side starts to trickle into the acting world. I mean you've got well known actors dabbling in TV but you've yet to see a true A-list actor or actress take on a TV role. That isn't to say that the quality of TV acting is lacking - I think Cranston and Hamm's work blows away anything I've seen on the big screen in the same period - but it seems like the only thing missing is the star power. But maybe that's a good thing because it puts the emphasis on substance over all of the other nonsense.

Sorry about the tanget, I just couldn't help myself.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Here's my theory/prediction on how this plays out from here. I just came up with it, so feel free to poke holes in things I haven't thought out. I swear I know nothing about the future episodes (I don't even watch scenes from next week).

Hank and Gomie run out of ammunition. The gunfire ceases once the Nazi's figure this out. Walt is screaming at Jack through the hole thing, begging them to spare the cops. He tells them he will not cook for them if they cops are killed. They Nazi's take Hank/Gomie prisoner, along with Walt, and go straight to the lab. Walt and Hank agree that he will let Walt leave town in exchange for saving Hank's life. Something crazy is going to happen there, and I don't think the Nazi's stay true to their word, and Gomie/Hank are killed. Walt vanishes, but comes back (the flash forward) for revenge on the Nazi's.

I'm sure there are a million holes that can be poked there. I have no clue what's going to happen with Jesse. Thoughts?

This seems plausible. Why else would Walt need a machine gun? Against Hank? The entire ABQ DEA? Probably not. However, it does make sense for Todd and his crew.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Here's what I imagine happens without specifics

The gun is for the nazis pretty likely
    Walt might be coming back to save Jesse from the Nazis, who have taken him as compensation for the hit turned shoot out.
    The ricin is for Lydia

Still doesnt explain why Walt's house is burned down or necessarily why he went on the run. But I imagine those things probably happen.

I am guessing Walt gives up his money to spare Jessie and himself.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I am guessing Walt gives up his money to spare Jessie and himself.
    I don't think they want it. They want more than that actually.

Walt also still seems to have money in the future as well, going by the 100 dollar tip he leaves in the flash forward, not to mention his ability to buy an illicitly purchased big ass machine gun (I believe that's the technical term for it.)

TV shows are hard to edit due to time restraints, time, and censorship. Walking dead struggles with pacing and editing imo. I would say the last good group of movies that were edited well were the Nolan Batman films.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

Yeah, seems as likely as anything else. I'd be cool with that also.

Although, that could be viewed by some as redemption for Walt and I think Vince has said there is no redeeming Walt.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily view that as redemption but some might.

Again, I like your theory and I'd be happy with that.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 09-09-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    TV shows are hard to edit due to time restraints, time, and censorship. Walking dead struggles with pacing and editing imo. I would say the last good group of movies that were edited well were the Nolan Batman films.
    Very true. Most hour-long shows sometimes script as much as 50-55 minutes of actual air time and have to edit down to roughly 42-45 minutes depending on the station and time slot. Those extra scenes that are cut from the final edit sometimes leave a less than seamless transition from scene to scene.

Breaking Bad excels because of the pacing, the vignettes, the voice overs, the transitioning between scenes and the efficiency in which they compact parts of the story in editing. The show has great acting and writing, but it's brilliantly edited.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

13. Likes:

Chip R (09-09-2013)

So what about Walt's cancer, is it terminal or not?

He has a decent head of hair in the flash forward...so that has to be a couple months out (unless it is a rug). But if things are as dire as they seem he should just about be on his deathbed there. And we did see him appearing to get chemo, so unless that was a ruse by the writers, the cancer actually has returned.

Thoughts?

They call me "chef"

The hair means he's not undergoing treatment. He could still be terminally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The hair means he's not undergoing treatment. He could still be terminally ill.
    True. But he would have to be close to the end I imagine.

And we know its his 53rd (i think) birthday? (Unless the writers are messing with us) How far out is that?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    True. But he would have to be close to the end I imagine.

And we know its his 53rd (i think) birthday? (Unless the writers are messing with us) How far out is that?
    A year at this point

Turn Off Ads?