Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

I don't know why he would want to save Jesse but I've given up trying to predict how this is going to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That appears to be the case, yes.

That's why he took Holly on the fly. He knew that by taking Holly, the police would be involved and it would draw attention to him. By calling her on the phone, he could then alleviate all blame from Skyler by making it sound like she was a prisoner to his actions the entire time. In one fell swoop, he made sure he gave the police a reason to believe she was a victim.
    I don't think this is true. I think he took Holly as a genuine knee-jerk, emotional reaction: he, the ultimate control freak, realized he had lost control over the one thing he has always said he cared about, his family. He took the baby as a way of gaining control and seeking revenge and also as a desperate attempt to hold onto the family he has finally, definitively lost. It wasn't planned.

Otherwise there's no point in the scene where Holly asks for her mama (which was freaking DEVASTATING, btw). He had a genuine reaction in this scene, a realization that this baby has never known him as anything but a criminal -- and doesn't in fact know him; she only wanted her mother. (It's not a coincidence that this episode began with a reminder that when all this began, Holly didn't even exist yet.) That's when he had a change of heart and decided to return her and pull the blame off Skyler; he knew the cops would be at the house and would hear the phone call. I think the return of the baby and the phone call were orchestrated; I think the kidnapping was not. Walt having a change of heart that we actually see in the midst of everything else is the writers giving us a shred of something in him still to root for. That diaper-changing scene was very important.

edit: somebody beat me to this, sorry!
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 09-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

5. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-18-2013),WMR (09-22-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-16-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't think this is true. I think he took Holly as a genuine knee-jerk, emotional reaction: he, the ultimate control freak, realized he had lost control over the one thing he has always said he cared about, his family. He took the baby as a way of gaining control and seeking revenge and also as a desperate attempt to hold onto the family he has finally, definitively lost. It wasn't planned.

Otherwise there's no point in the scene where Holly asks for her mama (which was freaking DEVASTATING, btw). He had a genuine reaction in this scene, a realization that this baby has never known him as anything but a criminal -- and doesn't in fact know him; she only wanted her mother. That's when he had a change of heart and decided to return her and pull the blame off Skyler; he knew the cops would be at the house and would hear the phone call. I think the return of the baby and the phone call were orchestrated; I think the kidnapping was not. Walt having a change of heart that we actually see in the midst of everything else is the writers giving us a shred of something in him still to root for. That diaper-changing scene was very important.

edit: somebody beat me to this, sorry!
    I agree with this. It seemed like when he grabbed her, it was to try to hang on to the last part of his family he thought he could keep.

BTW, what was Skyler's motivation for continuing to tell Walt to come home after she says "I'm sorry" during their phone call and seems to realize what he's going for there? It seemed like she could tell he knew the cops were there. Was she just keeping up appearances?
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 09-16-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't know man, everybody is going nuts for it but I just felt let down for the first time ever watching Breaking Bad. I was captivated, of course, but Uncle Jack and the Neo-Nazi gang as the endgame to Breaking Bad just doesn't really work for me.
    For the past two plus seasons, the show has been wonderfully executed, and rich with symbolism, foreshadowing, and complex character arcs, just like the first three. However, the story over these last two plus seasons has been sloppy, conventional and full of plot holes. It's still a great show, but not as great as it was in its beginning.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The Sopranos is exactly what I was thinking of, and how I was satisfied with the way they wrapped up the show. Like you said, the NJ/NY rivalry was well established earlier on, it just reached a boiling point as the show came to an end. To me the Aryan gang is more like if The Vipers were suddenly thrust into the last Sopranos episodes as the ones putting out the hits on the Tony's crew.
    The Vipers! That episode was so good.

As far as Breaking Bad, I'm enjoying these episodes They're exciting, not predictable (at least so far), well-acted. But I have to admit I'm also a little disappointed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    For the past two plus seasons, the show has been wonderfully executed, and rich with symbolism, foreshadowing, and complex character arcs, just like the first three. However, the story over these last two plus seasons has been sloppy, conventional and full of plot holes. It's still a great show, but not as great as it was in its beginning.
    Where are these holes? It's been anything but sloppy. The stories have been pretty air-tight. Even the smallest detail that people were questioning earlier, the plucking of Jesse's ricin cigarette, has actually now been explained fully and makes complete sense how it was pulled off.

This show is so great because it doesn't have holes. It has done an exceptional job of tying up loose ends, for the most part, unlike most shows on television.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

10. Likes:

CoachBombay (09-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    BTW, what was Skyler's motivation for continuing to tell Walt to come home after she says "I'm sorry" during their phone call and seems to realize what he's going for there? It seemed like she could tell he knew the cops were there. Was she just keeping up appearances?
    Could be. I don't think it's unusual for a victim of domestic violence to want her husband/boyfriend to come back. He has the baby so she doesn't want to rile him up any further. Ostensibly he doesn't know the cops are there so if she says the right things and he comes back, the cops can arrest him. Of course Skylar's no fool. She realized what he was up to and it takes her off the hook for being a de facto partner of his. She didn't cook or sell any meth or kill anyone but she laundered the money and didn't tell the cops about Walt. To the cops now, she's an innocent victim. Of course Marie knows so she's a wild card. On one hand there's revenge for Hank and on the other, Skylar's her sister and was somewhat reluctantly dragged into it as she told her at the car wash.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah, I think it's that simple. What he's doing clicks with her and she realizes she should play into the story.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...t-and-terrible

And if I'm honest, I want Breaking Bad to be over. I'm glad there are only two episodes left. The show's honesty about where greed and violence can take the lives of both the good and the not so good is unbearable, and its fairness in storytelling — its willingness to follow even the worst threads to their natural conclusions — is perfectly, rigorously heartless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmmIZZmgJfM

Mike Ehrmantraut telling fairy tales

-The Insider-

That guy is a party pooper.

16. Likes:

CoachBombay (09-16-2013)

So true, although I wouldn't say I'm ready for it to be over.

I had a feeling we were going to end up with this kind of heartbreak all over the place when Vince said last year on a panel that "it's always been our belief that actions have consequences and sooner or later, Walt's actions will catch up with him." That was, in even the most vague of spoilers, a pretty ominous statement at the time and always stuck with me.

The good news is that he's also said the ending is a victory, of sorts, for Walt and it ends on his terms. So while they have taught the lessons that there are consequences, I do think there will be the slightest bit of redemption for Walt in the end, no matter how hollow the redemption may be.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Great article. Thought-provoking even though I don't agree with everything it says.

I saw a couple people on twitter "forgiving" Rian Johnson for Looper because that BB episode was so good.......there are people that didn't like Looper?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?