Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 73 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    They're different kind of shows altogether. the Wire wasn't a suspense, thriller show at all. BB is all that. Guess it's a matter of preference, but I have a hard time putting them on the same plane as far as overall quality, but that's just me.
    As far as procedural dramas are concerned, it's unparalleled. As wonderful put it, though, It's a bit dry at times. I think the storylines are very well constructed. On a technical basis, I think the hard-ass mantra from the command and within the political offices is just a bit contrived. These are very minor nitpicks mind you. I think it's a terrific show.

I easily put it up there with Breaking Bad, LOST and Sopranos without hesitation. I'm just preferable to edge-of-your-seat suspense. The Wire doesn't deliver that quite as well as Breaking Bad (obviously it wasn't trying to do that).
    Last edited by Brutus; 09-21-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    They're different kind of shows altogether. the Wire wasn't a suspense, thriller show at all. BB is all that. Guess it's a matter of preference, but I have a hard time putting them on the same plane as far as overall quality, but that's just me.
    I would have agreed with you until this last half-season of Breaking Bad. These last six episodes have been amazing. The pure entertainment value of BB now pushes it past The Wire as an overall show in my view. I loved The Wire, but it is a tough re-watch for me because it takes so long to set everything up each season. I look forward to re-watching BB once the series concludes.

The Wire and Breaking Bad could not be more different. The Wire was a very carefully painted picture of place and society. It addressed morality from the outside in. Breaking Bad succeeds precisely because it avoids addressing the societal questions. I had first heard that it's a "show about meth" and really it has nothing to do with meth. It never brings into the plot exactly what Walt's meth is doing outside of his own world. It addresses morality from inside out, from a point of view of a single character and the people around him.

I was surprised when people here said that Breaking Bad isn't as strong in character as The Wire. Breaking Bad is about nothing but character. It's not about society or the world at large like The Wire was; it's completely individual. I'm oversimplifying a bit, but the two shows are fundamentally different in what they are addressing and how they approach those things. Both are excellent at what they do/did.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

5. Likes:

Brutus (09-21-2013), Chip R (09-22-2013), Razor Shines (09-21-2013)

Writing my own ending here - Jesse will escape at the actions of Walt's M60 attack on Uncle Jack's crew and Meth Damon (Todd). Walt takes over the Meth lab only to blow it up exothermicly after Lydia drinks ricin tainted coffee in a fake Czech Meth business meeting with Walt. Then Jesse will seek severe vengeance against Walt by attacking Walt's family - killing them all - except he didn't kill them, he makes Walt think they are all dead at Jesse's hands (faking their deaths with Saul's , Huell's Badger's and Skinny Pete's help). Walt ends up with his full 7 barrels of cash and no one to give it to, so he kills himself, or let's himself get killed. Final scene shows Jesse walking off in the distance with Walt's body in the foreground. Credits. (Walt's family including his sister in law, Jesse and Mike's grandaughter, Saul and Assoc, Badger and Skinny Pete get the blood money).
    Last edited by powersackers; 09-22-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    On a technical basis, I think the hard-ass mantra from the command and within the political offices is just a bit contrived. These are very minor nitpicks mind you. I think it's a terrific show.
    The show basically mirrored the period of time David Simon was the crime reporter at the Baltimore Sun, for whatever it's worth. Lot of people in the show are based on real life people, events are based on real life events, etc. Carcetti is Martin O'Malley for instance (fictionalized of course.)

Also, season 4 is the masterpiece. I don't think anyone can judge Breaking Bad vs. The Wire without seeing season 4 of The Wire.
    Last edited by Redsfaithful; 09-22-2013 at 01:49 AM.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    It never brings into the plot exactly what Walt's meth is doing outside of his own world.
    There was the episode with the junky parents and the ATM. Brutal episode, when I watched this show for a second time with my wife I skipped that one, had her read a synopsis. She probably wouldn't have finished the show otherwise.

I also skipped the end of the train robbery episode with her.

She still hasn't forgiven me for letting her read The Road, so I try to look out now.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

9. Likes:

vaticanplum (09-22-2013)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the final two episodes are 75 minutes each. Set DVRs accordingly.

I think for people that want to watch the marathon it's smart to tell them to watch the pilot and then warn them how Season 2 drags. My wife struggled getting they Season 2 and now every night hopes AAron Paul calls her with his contest on twitter.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I think for people that want to watch the marathon it's smart to tell them to watch the pilot and then warn them how Season 2 drags. My wife struggled getting they Season 2 and now every night hopes AAron Paul calls her with his contest on twitter.
    No one I know ever had a problem with the second season. The first five episodes of the series, in my experience, has been the hard portion for people to get through. I was intrigued right away, but for me I wasn't hooked until probably the sixth episode. Most of the folks I know feel the same way.

After the end of the first season, it all went smooth sailing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    No one I know ever had a problem with the second season. The first five episodes of the series, in my experience, has been the hard portion for people to get through. I was intrigued right away, but for me I wasn't hooked until probably the sixth episode. Most of the folks I know feel the same way.

After the end of the first season, it all went smooth sailing.
    Yes, but season 1 had the intervention with the talking pillow. That stuff was gold.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

14. Likes:

Brutus (09-22-2013)

Well there was the Gretchen & Elliott appearance that we were discussing a while back. And a powerful scene that was.

Next week is going to be intense.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I hope the M60 is for Elliot, that yuppie prick. Say goodnight to your Eric Clapton signed guitar!
    Last edited by Ohayou; 09-22-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    Choo got it, dude.

17. Likes:

Brutus (09-22-2013)

I kind of hope the ending isn't centered on Gray Matter. That seems a little anti-climactic to me.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I kind of hope the ending isn't centered on Gray Matter. That seems a little anti-climactic to me.
    I don't think it will be. I think that just motivated him to not give up.

20. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I don't think it will be. I think that just motivated him to not give up.
    Agreed. I think that scene was merely a motivation for Heisenberg to come back and finish the job he wanted to finish at the beginning of the episode. He just watched his first line of work get smothered by Gretchen & Elliot on television, so now he's not going to let Jack's crew do the same, especially after they killed Hank and (in Walt's mind) caused him to lose his family.

22. Likes:

Homer Bailey (09-22-2013), Wonderful Monds (09-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?