Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Jesse's workworking scene had a Christ like feel to it, no? Any thoughts on that scene?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I also thought it was genius that Walt was trying to get Jesse to kill him when he was too scared to do it himself. But this time Jesse broke free of Walt's manipulation and didn't give him what he wanted.
    I don't think it was that at all. Walt had already been shot. I think he was offering Jesse the closure of killing him in retribution for all Walt had done to him. I think as Jesse was driving away, the smile and scream came from the realization that Walt was giving him freedom. Walt saved him. Walt gave him the opportunity till kill him (which he denied), and also that Walt died in the lab, thus leaving closure to the investigation of the blue meth.
    Last edited by Brutus_the_Red; 09-30-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: eliminating redundancies from posting at 1am
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Does anyone remember when Jesse tried doing normal work....

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Brutus (09-30-2013),Chip R (09-30-2013),ervinsm84 (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Jesse's workworking scene had a Christ like feel to it, no? Any thoughts on that scene?
    he mentioned the wood box I think when he was in rehab in group therapy.

he sold the box for drugs even though he loved it.
    Last edited by R_Webb18; 09-30-2013 at 01:40 AM.

I loved it. The scene with Skylar was my favorite and then Holly.

I would hate to be doing a pitch in the next coming weeks for a TV show and the questions one might in encounter.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

The buzz has wore off now. Just wanted to collect some final thoughts.

I completely agree with the above sentiment that this wasn't necessarily a 'predictable' ending as much as this was a fitting ending. Coming into the season, the things that have happened in these last eight episodes I'd personally not have preferred. But given the path they went down, this was the most perfect ending they could have possibly come up with right down to the song selection.

The song, for those of you younger kids, is called "Baby Blue" and it's by Badfinger. The song was from their 1971 album "Straight Up." While I was not even remotely close to being born myself, the song was one I grew up on because my dad is a huge Badfinger fan. When they came out, there were some people that thought it was the Beatles regrouping under a new alias. Although that wasn't the case, they did share a lot of commonality as they had the same management and were even on the Apple label. Nonetheless, Baby Blue's lyrics are so perfect for the end of this show as if they were literally written for the show itself.

What I love about this episode though is that despite the dark, vindictive path Vince Gilligan and his writers led Walter White down the last eight episodes -- "I guess I got what I deserved" -- it's amazing how much of a happy ending this felt like despite Walt dying. In the end, he did get money to his family (which is why he started), he finally was honest with Skyler that he liked doing it (which is why he continued) and he was able to get vengeance for Hank's death while setting Jesse free. It was, for me, imperative that no one got the satisfaction of killing or cuffing Walt and yet perfectly tragic that he died only by his heroic action of sparing Jesse.

I disagree with an above response Brutus the Red had about my comment of how it was poetic Jesse broke free of Walt's manipulation. While I agree that Walt was giving Jesse a chance at redemption, he did want to die and didn't want to kill himself, although Walt certainly suspected he would die. Jesse, though, knew Walt wanted to die and didn't want to do it for him. This was actually confirmed by Aaron and Vince on the commentary after the finale.

This episode tied up loose ends. It paid homage to the characters and the story. While it was brutally honest in the reality of the life lessons of consequences, it did so while leaving us and the characters with a sense of closure. Walt getting to see Holly and Junior one last time, while making peace with Skyler, felt right. While it's unfortunate Junior will never know the truth about his father and will go on thinking he murdered his uncle, at least Skyler can rest with the knowledge Walt sacrificed his earning to try to save Hank and has peace with his finally copping to the motives of why he kept doing what he did.

Truth is, I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy another show this much. It delivered on absolutely everything it could have delivered in these last eight episodes. The entire show, for that matter, was brilliant, but it went out harmoniously. It stayed true to the theme and rewarded fans for their loyalty.

I am grateful for this show as a fan as well as an aspiring screenwriter (although I'm hesitant on that especially knowing I could never top this kind of effort). Anyhow, well I understand arguments for other shows and the quality of said shows leading up to these final eight episodes, I put Breaking Bad at the top of any list without hesitation because they closed the deal perfectly. Fair or unfair, the ending leaves a bad aftertaste in peoples' mouths if not executed properly. BrBa not only did it well, but it is now the standard every show has to live up to.

Bravo, Vince. Bra-vo.
    Last edited by Brutus; 09-30-2013 at 04:36 AM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

9. Likes:

cinreds21 (09-30-2013),Homer Bailey (09-30-2013)

Loved the suspense with the laser sights on Gretchen and the comedy that followed.

Had the exact same thoughts about "Baby Blue". Hadn't heard that song in eons. It was like the song was written for the end of the show.

Heard the opening chords and thought "dang, this song, what is it?". And with the opening line "I guess I got what I deserved", I had to laugh.

Loved Vince Gilligan's comment about the last scene "he was with his precious".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Also thought that the way Jesse killed Todd was a throwback to their very first murder in Jesse's basement, that Jesse couldn't handle and finally fell to Walt. Not sure exactly what that's saying (Jesse was finally ready to close things up himself? Jesse could only kill when he was exacting revenge?), but that had to be deliberate.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Legally idk. Mentally and emotionally I know we're supposed to view him as free from Walt's manipulation, but given his history I'd imagine his character won't end up well.
    Technically, he's probably not in the clear unless he had official immunity from his crimes by working with Hank and Gomie although that seemed to be an unofficial thing. If the DA's office came across that DVD he made with Hank and Gomie, they could make a case against him mainly for murdering Gale not to mention all the meth manufacturing he did with Walt. As for Brock, I don't think anyone in their right mind would let Jesse take care of Brock. At best he's with a relative, at worst he's in foster care and no agency is going to give a meth addict like Jesse a little boy to take care of. Jesse's best bet would be to get out of ABQ and go far, far away.

Great finale, though. I just loved the camera work they did at Skyler's place where Walt was hidden behind the column for the whole phone call. "Baby Blue" was the perfect song to end the show.

Dead Pool:
    Walt
    Todd, Jack and the Nazis
    Lydia
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

They call me "chef"

Todd's personalized ringtones are the highlight of the entire series.

15. Likes:

RBA (09-30-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Technically, he's probably not in the clear unless he had official immunity from his crimes by working with Hank and Gomie although that seemed to be an unofficial thing. If the DA's office came across that DVD he made with Hank and Gomie, they could make a case against him mainly for murdering Gale not to mention all the meth manufacturing he did with Walt. As for Brock, I don't think anyone in their right mind would let Jesse take care of Brock. At best he's with a relative, at worst he's in foster care and no agency is going to give a meth addict like Jesse a little boy to take care of. Jesse's best bet would be to get out of ABQ and go far, far away.

Great finale, though. I just loved the camera work they did at Skyler's place where Walt was hidden behind the column for the whole phone call. "Baby Blue" was the perfect song to end the show.

Dead Pool:
    Walt
    Todd, Jack and the Nazis
    Lydia

Jack and his buddies had that video. They watched it last episode before Jessie tried to run away. No one knows Jessie is involved at all other than Marie and she probably thinks he is dead too with Hank and Gomie

I enjoyed the final episode. It brought me back to Walt's original endgame, setting his family up. In the end the cancer got him, it was just a matter of time before he was dead because of it. Granted it wasn't what killed him in the end, but it set everything in motion. It got me to thinking of how many innocent people died because of Walt's "empire"? You can point to Brock's mom (whose name escapes me right now), the boy on the motor bike, Hank and Gomez maybe, there may be another one out there that I am forgetting. I am not including that stupid midair plane crash which was a pretty poor idea to include in the show.

I thought all the loose ends were tied. Walt gets to see Skylar and his kids one last time, he gets his money to his son, and he sets the record straight with all the bad guys. Bringing Gretchen back into the fold the way they did was great. That scene was probably my favorite in the final episode. Skinny Pete and Badger, probably my two least favorite characters in the series, get to make a cameo and just that.

In the end what Uncle Jack says something akin to "you need me to know where the money is" and Walt shoots him you know his endgame is no longer money. He has made peace with everything and seemed ok with dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Had the exact same thoughts about "Baby Blue". Hadn't heard that song in eons. It was like the song was written for the end of the show.

Heard the opening chords and thought "dang, this song, what is it?". And with the opening line "I guess I got what I deserved", I had to laugh.

Loved Vince Gilligan's comment about the last scene "he was with his precious".
    I hear it quite often, strange. That band was a Paul endeavor, they were pretty beatlesque

Singer hung himself like the gent from Joy Division

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBombay View Post
    Jack and his buddies had that video. They watched it last episode before Jessie tried to run away. No one knows Jessie is involved at all other than Marie and she probably thinks he is dead too with Hank and Gomie
    And since the cops are at the compound, if they are any kind of cops at all they are going to check their DVD player and find the DVD if it's still in the machine. Otherwise it'll be lying around somewhere and they will take it with them. Skyler, Badger and Skinny Pete know he's involved but not to the extent that Marie does. If the cops found that DVD and the DA looked at it, they could very well charge Jesse with Gale's murder. Although one could say the confession was coerced. It's a gray area. Jesse was never really arrested and the DEA office had no idea what was going on. If they were creative enough they might be able to hang a charge on Jesse for Hank and Gomie's murders even though it may not be murder. One could say he set them up with his partner Walt. Jesse doesn't have any money so he'd probably wind up with a public defender but I think even a PD could get that charge thrown out.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?