Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter

Harry Potter

O.K. who's seen it and what did ya think?

I thought they did a good job with it. Tons of action and tons of drama. The only knock I have was it seemed much shorter than the prior HP films.
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harry Potter

I was the shortest of all of them I think, but they did a good job of wrapping things up and closing out the series IMO. Stayed very true to the book.

I went through a *lot* of kleenex, especially during the Snape scenes.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

In an effort to retain my "World's Greatest Husband" award, over the last 2-3 weeks I watched every HP movie with my wife and then went and saw 7.B with her yesterday.

HP (at least the movies) are an okay series, but totally overhyped by the die-hard fans who can accept no criticism of the franchise. Is it good? Okay. But it isn't even close to LotR as far as a fantasy franchise.

I get the appeal, but sometimes the hype gets out of control. The 8 movies could have been reasonably condensed into about 5 and I would have enjoyed them just as much.

I know, I know..."read the books". That is what every Potterphile I know comes back with. My response? No. Of course the books are better. Every book is better than the movie. I just don't find anything about the HP series to be particularly original and worthy of the time it would take me to read them all.

That being said, we are going to Walt Disney World in December and are spending one day at Universal Island of Adventure to check out the Wizarding World. I'm sure we will have a great time, especially my wife. I'll knock back a butter beer or two and enjoy the rides. Just don't expect me to spend $30 for a stick (wand).
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

-The Insider-

Party pooper.

Ready, I really enjoyed it. I've read all the books and was very sad that it has ended. I haven't read Deathly Hallows since it came out in 2007 so I couldn't really remember everything that was the same/different from the book, but I think they did a great job overall with the final film. The only thing that was somewhat brutal was the epilogue. I wasn't overwhelmed despite how under wraps they were with it.

Looking forward to it; going this weekend. Did anyone see it in 3D IMAX?
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff View Post
    Looking forward to it; going this weekend. Did anyone see it in 3D IMAX?
    We did. I think the IMAX was a bigger plus than the 3D. But I find I am usually unimpressed with the whole 3D fad.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

We saw it in 3-d, and frankly I think the 2d would have been just as good and less $$$. I've been completely underwhelmed by the whole 3-d fad.

I'm with Eric the Red, this is such a disgustingly overhyped franchise. My 28 year old brother in law loves it, even though its a kids series. Yeah, I guess he was technically a kid when it started but, not so much anymore.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'm with Eric the Red, this is such a disgustingly overhyped franchise. My 28 year old brother in law loves it, even though its a kids series. Yeah, I guess he was technically a kid when it started but, not so much anymore.
    So far from the truth.

Guess that depends on your point of view.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

All a matter of personal taste I guess. I've never seen the appeal of the LOTR series myself. but if we all liked the same things, the world would be a pretty damn boring place. :-)

Saw it today. I thought it was a fitting end to the series. It was fast-moving, but most of the exposition had been taken care of already. I saw it in 3D, and thought it was worth it.

I think the 3D glasses were magic somehow. When I left the theater, I took them off, but the whole word seemed to still be in 3D! Amazing!

I have been a big fan since shortly after the first movie came out. I attended probably the last 4-5 midnight book/movie releases. But I haven't gone to see it yet. It's sort of sad in a way, but I'm not ready for it to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I resisted the books for a long time, despite recommendations from friends, because I wasn't interested in what I thought was a children's fantasy story. I'm not normally into that sort of thing. But I took the plunge and read the first book, then devoured the rest of them. I think they're great.

The movies don't live up to the books (they never do) but I've still really enjoyed them. I liked the finale a lot but thought it fell just short of being great. Still, it's a fine ending to the series.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    All a matter of personal taste I guess. I've never seen the appeal of the LOTR series myself. but if we all liked the same things, the world would be a pretty damn boring place. :-)
    Same here. Only read the last book but love the movies. Enjoy the "English" and gothic feel.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?