Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24,841? R U Kidding Me?

24,841? R U Kidding Me?

Cincinnati isn't a baseball town. They haven't been a baseball town since the 1970's. But, then....looking back. Were they ever a baseball town? Who couldn't get up for The Big Red Machine? Showing up to those games doesn't make you a baseball town. Showing up when your team is losing makes you a baseball town.

Cincinnati can't even show up when they're winning anymore. The 1995 playoffs in Cincinnati? Embarrassing. Louisville and Indianapolis are better baseball towns.

A Sunday Afternoon in the middle of July on a perfectly sunny day (86 degrees), and they have the stands only half filled. 24,841 is paid tickets. How many actually showed up is a much smaller number.

We've been hearing the excuses for over two decades now. Those ships have long sailed.

Cincinnati is what it is....a football town. They love their Bengals. They show up despite the fact that they have the worst owner in all of professional sports over the last 22 years next to Donald Sterling. They show up even though they haven't won a single playoff game over those 22 years. They show up despite getting hosed on prices (franchise fees....preseason games that are meaningless....price increases despite a bad product). They show up even though they have thugs and felons for players while the REDS are squeaky clean (the Marge years with the haircuts and shaved faces), along with shipping out the worst offender in Josh Hamilton, and he did nothing compared to the average Bengal.

Sadly....and I have no idea how it happened, this town stopped being a
    Baseball Town. They still have the Parade, while schools are still closed. But, I have a feeling that kids would rather be inside playing a video game instead of out at the ballpark watching the REDS. It's a shame. It's a shame because it's not that way in St. Louis. They are a baseball town. You can see it every time you visit the City. St. Louis bleeds baseball. That's why it was a shame to see the fans of Cincinnati fail to even show up on a Sunday....Family Day....to give the Cardinals a razzing and the REDS some shouts of support.

For those of you who do attend the games, here's to you:

You are the true REDS fans.

For those of you who can't afford to get to the games or don't have the means of getting there, but are still glued to the radio or TV with every pitch, here's to you:

For those of you who can afford to get there, but just casually talk about the REDS or claim to be REDS fans...when they're winning, here's to you:

You are what you are....a wannabe...a bandwagon jumper...a hangin'-with-the-Jones's type of fan. Go away or else poney up for a ticket and give your time and money to the cause. I'd rather cheer along with the 24,841 who really want to be at the game than have a conversation with a wannabe.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 24,841? R U Kidding Me?

They said it was a sell out on TV the 6th in the last 8 games

Yeah we are averaging like 33k a game the last 3 homestands they said.

btw are we a winner?

This is a weird time for this post.

1. 24k is more than half full
    2. FSN's ratings should be factored in when trying to determine if Cincy is a baseball town
    3. Why do you care what kind of town Cincy is?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Cincinnati isn't a baseball town. They haven't been a baseball town since the 1970's. But, then....looking back. Were they ever a baseball town? Who couldn't get up for The Big Red Machine? Showing up to those games doesn't make you a baseball town. Showing up when your team is losing makes you a baseball town.

Cincinnati can't even show up when they're winning anymore. The 1995 playoffs in Cincinnati? Embarrassing. Louisville and Indianapolis are better baseball towns.

A Sunday Afternoon in the middle of July on a perfectly sunny day (86 degrees), and they have the stands only half filled. 24,841 is paid tickets. How many actually showed up is a much smaller number.

We've been hearing the excuses for over two decades now. Those ships have long sailed.

Cincinnati is what it is....a football town. They love their Bengals. They show up despite the fact that they have the worst owner in all of professional sports over the last 22 years next to Donald Sterling. They show up even though they haven't won a single playoff game over those 22 years. They show up despite getting hosed on prices (franchise fees....preseason games that are meaningless....price increases despite a bad product). They show up even though they have thugs and felons for players while the REDS are squeaky clean (the Marge years with the haircuts and shaved faces), along with shipping out the worst offender in Josh Hamilton, and he did nothing compared to the average Bengal.

Sadly....and I have no idea how it happened, this town stopped being a
    Baseball Town. They still have the Parade, while schools are still closed. But, I have a feeling that kids would rather be inside playing a video game instead of out at the ballpark watching the REDS. It's a shame. It's a shame because it's not that way in St. Louis. They are a baseball town. You can see it every time you visit the City. St. Louis bleeds baseball. That's why it was a shame to see the fans of Cincinnati fail to even show up on a Sunday....Family Day....to give the Cardinals a razzing and the REDS some shouts of support.

For those of you who do attend the games, here's to you:

For those of you who can't afford to get to the games or don't have the means of getting there, but are still glued to the radio or TV with every pitch, here's to you:

For those of you who can afford to get there, but just casually talk about the REDS or claim to be REDS fans...when they're winning, here's to you:

You are what you are....a wannabe...a bandwagon jumper...a hangin'-with-the-Jones's type of fan. Go away or else poney up for a ticket and give your time and money to the cause. I'd rather cheer along with the 24,841 who really want to be at the game than have a conversation with a wannabe.
    I think I speak for all of us when I say......

WAAAAAAAAA!
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

who really cares.

the football season only features 8 home games so its gonna be easier to sellout 8 games than 81. The bengals have seen plenty of days of blackouts on Sundays aswell.

Cincinnati is a bandwagon city with everything. We are supposedly a college basketball town aswell and went from selling out UC basketball games to barely filling half the gym. Bearcat football had its shining moment and they still struggled last year to fill the stadium.

The reds are the same. attendance will be better as long as their in it but we wont see sellouts every nite until they resign votto for 6-7 years and make 2-3 deep playoff runs.

It's interesting how the original poster ignores how well the Reds have been drawing recently despite the team not doing so well. The Reds are now right smack in the middle of the league in attendance at 27,285. Last season the Reds averaged 25,438!

I for one, would like to congratulate Reds fans on selling out 6 of the last 9 home games!

And to address the "issue" of Cincinnati being a baseball town, it's hard to say. I don't think Cincinnati is a one sport town of any kind. We are just an all around sports town. Last calender year, Cincinnati had 2 NCAA teams in the tournament, an MLB team in the playoffs, a CHL team win their championship, an "NFL" team, a NCAA team in a BCS bowl, and numerous of the best high school sports programs in the entire country to choose from. I'd settle for being an overall sports town over being an individual team's town any day of the week.

But, if you want some evidence of how big the Reds are amongst the younger people (myself included) you should take a peek at Twitter. Aside from the Red Sox and Yankees, the Reds have probably one of the biggest Twitter followings. It is now out of the ordinary for Reds players to be trending in the US (BP was on Friday night and even Cozart was for a bit yesterday!). You rarely see other team's players trend, but I see Reds players up there all the time. Then you can look at what's trending in Cincinnati and after Reds games, usually 3 or 4 names are trending. To me, that says that even though these fans may not be attending (like myself who lives in Kansas), they are by no means not Reds fans!

/rant lol.
    Last edited by WestSideBomber; 07-18-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Sugarcoat it all you want.Fairweather fans,apathy.There is NO excuse for not selling out a series versus your most hated rival.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Bomb the OP all you want, but he's not wrong.

BTW, there is a big difference in announcing a "sellout" in terms of tickets sold and actual fannies in the seats.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

I love the Reds, but if I have the chance to watch the game in a nice cool AC chilled room or sit out in the sun and bake...I am going to stay cool and watch the game....

Cincinnati is smack dab in the middle of everything sports. And this isn't a one sport town. It's a multi-sports town with a small population.

NFL, MLB, college basketball (UC, Xavier, UK, O$U, Loserville), college football (UC, O$U, Miami, even alot of Notre Dame alumni here), Cleveland Cavaliers, Columbus Blue Jackets, Cyclones, Kentucky Derby, Racing at Sparta, KY........high school football and basketball........probably missed a bunch of stuff.........
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

here's what I can't figure out:

Why are Sunday afternoon games ALWAYS a smaller draw than Fri/Sat nite games. If anything, I think Sunday afternoon games would be PERFECT for people with young children

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    here's what I can't figure out:

Why are Sunday afternoon games ALWAYS a smaller draw than Fri/Sat nite games. If anything, I think Sunday afternoon games would be PERFECT for people with young children
    Everyone is in church.

Turn Off Ads?