Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Great movie better than the first a bit below the 2nd (but what movie isn't), and honestly loved Hathaway as Cat Woman.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Just saw it tonight. Loved it even more than the Dark Knight. IMO, it did a better job dealing with the human side of the characters. Joseph Gordon Levitt did an amazing job.
    Witty signature.

I'll go on record as saying I expected a miserable failure out of this film after the performance of Heath Ledger in the previous movie, and trying to live up to one of the better movies of all-time (IMHO). That said, I was shocked and awed at the drama of this movie. I almost didn't let myself watch it for fear it wouldn't remotely live up to my hope for it, but it far surpassed expectations so much that I was blown away.

However, I didn't like a few minor things (spoiler alert)....

For starters, I didn't care for the lack of explanation for the Joker. While I realize Nolan didn't want this to be about the Joker, his presence (or lack thereof) should be wholly relevant to Gotham's progress. And when the criminals were let loose, we should certainly expect some mention of the Joker... assuming he's still alive. My theory is that the Joker wouldn't have been compelled to enter back into the fray without Batman around when he got out, as by his own admission, he a) didn't care for common criminals or their actions and b) considered Batman his only rival. Still, it would have been nice for some sort of closure on that. Apparently, though, there is a novelization of the movie that is being released, and it explains that the Joker was left as Arkham Asylum's lone tenant, so while the prisoners were released by Bane, the Joker would not have been.

I'm also not sure what to make of the cliffhanger at the end. It gives the impression that Bruce survived, showing him being seen by Alfred. However, that also mimics Alfred's fantasy, which may have merely been Alfred visualizing Bruce being alive. It seems they are suggesting he did survive, but I can't seem to feel certain about it.
    Last edited by Brutus; 07-28-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Senor Votto

Nolan said he didn't want to mention The Joker out of respect for Heath. But I think it would've been fine to say something along the lines of Bane being the biggest challenge since Joker.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'll go on record as saying I expected a miserable failure out of this film after the performance of Heath Ledger in the previous movie, and trying to live up to one of the better movies of all-time (IMHO). That said, I was shocked and awed at the drama of this movie. I almost didn't let myself watch it for fear it wouldn't remotely live up to my hope for it, but it far surpassed expectations so much that I was blown away.

However, I didn't like a few minor things (spoiler alert)....

For starters, I didn't care for the lack of explanation for the Joker. While I realize Nolan didn't want this to be about the Joker, his presence (or lack thereof) should be wholly relevant to Gotham's progress. And when the criminals were let loose, we should certainly expect some mention of the Joker... assuming he's still alive. My theory is that the Joker wouldn't have been compelled to enter back into the fray without Batman around when he got out, as by his own admission, he a) didn't care for common criminals or their actions and b) considered Batman his only rival. Still, it would have been nice for some sort of closure on that. Apparently, though, there is a novelization of the movie that is being released, and it explains that the Joker was left as Arkham Asylum's lone tenant, so while the prisoners were released by Bane, the Joker would not have been.

I'm also not sure what to make of the cliffhanger at the end. It gives the impression that Bruce survived, showing him being seen by Alfred. However, that also mimics Alfred's fantasy, which may have merely been Alfred visualizing Bruce being alive. It seems they are suggesting he did survive, but I can't seem to feel certain about it.
    SPOILER

The answer to your question is when Fox discovered Bruce fixed the autopilot without telling him.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Nolan said he didn't want to mention The Joker out of respect for Heath. But I think it would've been fine to say something along the lines of Bane being the biggest challenge since Joker.
    I do recall him saying that, and I'm sure that's his reasoning as he's too good a writer just to overlook it, but I don't like it.

While I, like other fans, do not have the perspective of having actually worked with Heath, I don't think properly explaining away his character in the story is disrespectful. I know I absolutely would not have wanted his character reprised by anyone else, simply mentioning the character enough to acknowledge his impact on the arc seems perfectly reasonable without being disrespectful to Heath's passing. I'm sure Nolan had the right intentions in mind, but I think it was a bit of a disservice to his franchise not to properly tie up loose ends.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    SPOILER

The answer to your question is when Fox discovered Bruce fixed the autopilot without telling him.

True, but unless I missed a small detail, there's not an explanation for why Bruce was still in the cockpit with 5 seconds before the bomb went off. Perhaps he ejected prior to that, but the shots were leading the viewer to believe he was still in the "Bat" as the timer was going off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    True, but unless I missed a small detail, there's not an explanation for why Bruce was still in the cockpit with 5 seconds before the bomb went off. Perhaps he ejected prior to that, but the shots were leading the viewer to believe he was still in the "Bat" as the timer was going off.
    He was using a remote from another location, he was never in the cockpit

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I can't go since Ben and Hines Ward are in it. Just not going.
    My popcorn made my stomach feel queasy during those scenes. Hatred of Sloblisberger and Whines seeps into my bowels

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense.

SPOILER

Saw it last night. What an emotional roller coaster. I actually teared up a couple of times. In a Batman movie. Truly an incredible movie experience. I was SWEATING during the final scenes. I could not imagined a better ending.

Question though.... after Bruce escapes from the prison, how does he get back to Gotham with no allies, no money, and no way onto the island?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    SPOILER

Saw it last night. What an emotional roller coaster. I actually teared up a couple of times. In a Batman movie. Truly an incredible movie experience. I was SWEATING during the final scenes. I could not imagined a better ending.

Question though.... after Bruce escapes from the prison, how does he get back to Gotham with no allies, no money, and no way onto the island?
    Because he's Batman.

I find that helps to answer a lot of questions.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    SPOILER

SPOILER

You have to assume Bruce Wayne had significant stashes of cash, passports, and vehicles in various locations throughout the world, and that he had a network of tunnels to allow him to get into Gotham without being noticed (that is, unless he wanted to put on a public display like he did earlier in the movie).
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    SPOILER

He wasn't flying it remotely, or else the autopilot wouldn't have been a plot point. The assumption is that he was in the cockpit, turned the autopilot on, and then ejected. The filmmakers decided to go with the tired old trope of showing the bomb timer ticking off the final few seconds before the explosion, even though our hero had miraculously escaped before that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    Because he's Batman.

I find that helps to answer a lot of questions.
    Yeah, it's a Batman movie.

I've been watching the old Batman '66 movie with my kids lately, and that film does a great job of lampooning those ridiculous last-minute escapes.

Turn Off Ads?