Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone play tennis?

Anyone play tennis?

I've recently developed a love for it after taking lessons for a few years, and would love to hear any tips on it, singles or doubles. Thanks,

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Anyone play tennis?

Practice. Lots of it. I played through high school, but rarely play anymore though I still enjoy it. There just aren't many people I know who play anymore.

Aren't you in high school? Join the team. Join the USTA and play juniors tournaments. Surprised you aren't already playing competitively if you've been taking lessons for years.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Glad to see a young player in love with a great sport! I played varsity tennis in high school and was pretty good (my team won a state title). One of my teammates went on to play pro tennis which is pretty cool. I loved the game but unfortunately health problems keep me off the court. My advice is lots of conditioning, lots of practice and lots of match play. There is no substitute for real match action. I would echo Redsfaithful's sentiment of joining the USTA and playing in tournaments.
    Last edited by reds1869; 07-18-2011 at 06:36 PM.

I took up tennis when I was 27---closest thing I could find to baseball without having to round up 17 other guys. Been playing for over 35 years and, at one time, played on a 'semi-pro circut' here in Southern California. It really is a sport that you can play for most of your life.

One thing that has always been clear to me is that you can't play tennis to get in shape---you have to get in shape to play tennis.

Check this site for free video instructionals that will arrive via e-mail 3-4 days a week: www.webtennis.net It's short lessons and/or talking points about strokes, strategy, conditioning, etc. Usually run just 3-5 minutes and you should be able to save them and build a library to refer to. It's authored by a guy named Brent Able who, though he may not be a household name, is highly regarded, both in California and by players of my age. As recently as last year he won a national singles championship in his age group, represented the US against Australia in Men's doubles and, with his wife, finished second in a couple of national MxD championships. He does sell product and I've bought some (which I found helpful) but he's not pushy. IMO, it's worth a look. BTW, he's a nice guy too---we know some of the same people on the professional tennis side of the table.
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

BTW, just as a side note, if you're single, play some MxD. I've met, and dated, more nice women through tennis than I ever met hanging out at a bar. You're talking, working together, you've got something in common right from the get go---good situation.

Rem

Thanks for all the answers guys. Rem, I checked out the site you mentioned, and it looks pretty good. As for your last tip... I'll keep that in mind, friend. I am very much single at the moment. :/

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I took it up 3 yrs ago myself. I am now 45 and it has been a great thing for me. I used to play basketball but could no longer do it anywhere near the level I thought was acceptable anymore!

A tennis facility opened just across the field from our house 3 yrs ago so my wife and I joined. She had been playing some before, but I had only hit around in the park on rare occasions. It has been really good for us.

I have met a bunch of really good guys that started the same time I did and are basically in the same age group (36-55) and we ahve a blast during *& after!) playing. My wife has met some good friends too, though there is always "more drama" with women's tennis (it seems!!!) than men's. I am fortunate to have met a bunch of guys who don't care who plays what. We made it to 3.0 state last year, and they did not bump up any of us up in the ratings except for 2 guys, so we are back at districts this year, starting this weekend.

I really don't play all that much besides our matches once summer season starts as I was on 2 teams in the summer), but in the fall/winter we have regular guys court time (in conjunction with Monday night football) and I play mixed doubles w/my wife as well. All-in-all a great experience for us, even when I am in a personal tennis slump as I have been the past couple of weeks!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Glad to hear your story, bucksfan. Right now I'm just trying to improve my strokes, while playing every night with my family. I'm not particularly good, probably high 2.5- low 3.0, but I love it.

Just remember---if you lose in the first match of a tournament you usually get the best seat at the bar!

Rem

Good luck in the districts bucksfan. A former girlfriend of mine won a national title (gold ball) as part of a team (3.5 women) at about your age and she had only been playing about four years. There are a lot of possibilites out there for you.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?