Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco and Grandal as trade bait

Re: Mesoraco and Grandal as trade bait

So -- this year -- it could be a choice between keeping Mes or getting the pitcher.

Hope not, but it could easily turn out that way.
    If it's the Rockies, they have an elite catching prospect at AA in Wilin Rosario. Mesoraco wouldn't need to be in that deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ramon Hernandez is having a career year. The Reds will let him walk, get two draft picks, and have Mesoraco as the full time catcher next year.
    It would be foolish to do things any other way imo.If the Rockies want Mes they can have him,maybe but I need Ubaldo in return and I'd still hesitate.I know the thirst for another(we have one already in Cueto)ace is pretty high and I understand.Pitching wins championships.I just think that Leake and Bailey are on the verge of making our 1,2,3 as good as anyones.I don't believe it will too be long before Mes is playing everyday, holding down a spot in the middle of the Reds lineup while playing a position most teams don't expect much from offensively.I know the old saying around here that" anyone can be traded if the price is right and it improves the team" but I'm sure not ready to trade a guy that most experts would call the best catching prospect in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds go for a truly high end pitcher, IMO it is highly likely that the trade partner will insist on Mes.

The Reds could say no. Maybe the deal happens anyway, maybe not.

The other teams aren't stupid. Mes is by far the Reds' best prospect in the minors. They all know it.

So -- this year -- it could be a choice between keeping Mes or getting the pitcher.

Hope not, but it could easily turn out that way.
    How many big deals at the trade deadline require the team in the Reds position to deal their number 1 prospect? I would say almost none....especially over the past 5 years or so. In fact most trades have been made over the past 5 years for big time pitchers that didn't even require the 2nd best prospect.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Really good catchers are nearly as valuable as good pitching. I would be very careful to who and for who I traded before either of these guys. You would hate to give up the next great catcher. Another one may not come around for another 30 years.
    Bingo!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    How many big deals at the trade deadline require the team in the Reds position to deal their number 1 prospect? I would say almost none....especially over the past 5 years or so. In fact most trades have been made over the past 5 years for big time pitchers that didn't even require the 2nd best prospect.
    Wasn't there a very highly rated prospect traded in the Cliff Lee deal last year? Smoak wasn't it? And when Milwaukee got Sabbathia?

I don't remember them all, but there usually is one very highly rated prospect in big deadline deals for pitchers.

And Lee and Sabbathia were rentals. Jiminez, for example, is not. He will command even more.

I fully expect teams to be pushing hard for Mes in these negotiations.

Again, I'm not saying they won't ultimately capitulate. The Reds might get a stud pitcher for less. But I think Mes will be demanded up until the end.

Wasn't there a very highly rated prospect traded in the Cliff Lee deal last year? Smoak wasn't it? And when Milwaukee got Sabbathia?

I don't remember them all, but there usually is one very highly rated prospect in big deadline deals for pitchers.

And Lee and Sabbathia were rentals. Jiminez, for example, is not. He will command even more.

Again, I'm not saying they won't ultimately capitulate. The Reds might get a stud pitcher for less. But I think Mes will be demanded up until the end.
    Teams are able to draw a line from the beginning though and leave certain prospects out of the discussion. IIRC, the Phillies did that with Brown a few years ago.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Frankly, I don't know that Grandal is viewed as highly outside the Reds organization as he is getting credit for here. Taking nothing away from the guy, I don't know that he will bring a lot at this point. I wouldn't trade the guy.

Agree with others, there are other positions in this organization to trade from.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Frankly, I don't know that Grandal is viewed as highly outside the Reds organization as he is getting credit for here. Taking nothing away from the guy, I don't know that he will bring a lot at this point. I wouldn't trade the guy.

Agree with others, there are other positions in this organization to trade from.
    On the contrary...

both Reds on Baseball Prospectus' Midseason Prospect Top 50 List (published today) were catchers. Mes at 11 and Grandal at 30.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I wouldn't hesitate to include any prospect in the Reds system in a deal for a guaranteed front line pitcher. This team absolutely needs a shut down ace if they want to go anywhere in the post season. Prospects are never a sure thing. If you want a true ace pitcher you're going to have to give up substantial value in the current market.

If Cincy can get that much more for Mes and yet see them in a similar way in the future, then Mes has to be the one to go, if they had to trade one.

It all depends on the return and internal thoughts on the both.

I hear what you are saying, but Lee and Sabathia reeled in Smoak and LaPorta, two first base prospects in about the same class as Yonder Alonso. Of course, Jimenez will be under control for more years, but then he does not have the track record of Lee or Sabathia.

I would not give up Mes for Jimenez. Apparently, his radar readings are down a few miles per hour and the Rockies are perhaps trying to cash in before he loses his value. It is odd that they would try to market the guy after his breakout year. Maybe the Reds should have marketed Harang at the same point three years ago.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to include any prospect in the Reds system in a deal for a guaranteed front line pitcher. This team absolutely needs a shut down ace if they want to go anywhere in the post season. Prospects are never a sure thing. If you want a true ace pitcher you're going to have to give up substantial value in the current market.
    If it's was sure thing or at least almost a sure thing that the Reds would make it to the post season this year then I'd agree.It's not and it still wouldn't be if they got Ubaldo.I think you only make a move like what your talking about if your in control of your division with the WC to fall back on and your just one player away from being able to compete with one of the real contenders.Right now the Reds are having trouble competing with the Pirates.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Absolutely, couldn't have made a better comp.
    He's sleeping with his teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    On the contrary...

both Reds on Baseball Prospectus' Midseason Prospect Top 50 List (published today) were catchers. Mes at 11 and Grandal at 30.
    Thats how I feel. I think Grandal is getting overshadowed by Mes. They are both good.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    He's sleeping with his teacher?
    Your the insider...
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?