Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco and Grandal as trade bait

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Mesoraco and Grandal as trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ramon Hernandez is having a career year. The Reds will let him walk, get two draft picks, and have Mesoraco as the full time catcher next year.
    Don't the reds have to offer him arbitration to be eligible to get the 2 draft picks? If they choose to let him walk without offering arbitration...we get nothing IIRC.

But considering my record on these matters...I'm most likely wrong. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    IMO the two catchers are the Reds' top prospects right now.

I have no doubt that any team offering a high end starting pitcher will insist on Mesoraco in the trade. I don't believe for a minute that a high end pitcher is coming for Alonso, Volquez, Travis Wood as the featured player. They will all want Mes.
    So, if a high end pitcher becomes available, only the Reds can get him?

Because only the Reds have Mess.

We have enough quality prospects to complete a deal deal without including Mess.

Much like teams without Mess can complete a deal also.

Lots of high end deals get completed without a team's best prospect being included.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I would trade Grandal in a heartbeat as I don't believe he will be that great a catcher as a Major Leaguer. I'm not even sure his bat will play all that well either. So if someone is willing to accept him as a strong piece in a deal for a front line pitcher or bat or even a similar prospect at a position of need I'm in (say like 3rd base). Now of course if the organization strongly believes he could play 3rd or they consider him a strong potential replacement for Votto (assuming they expect Votto to leave via FA) then I'd be much more inclined to keep him.

Mesoraco I wouldn't deal at all unless it's a guy that is a sure thing (and probably nothing less than a Front line arm) and I'm not sure Ubaldo qualifies for me in that regard, let's say I would be on the fence about dealing him for Ubaldo but not so much so for Felix or Johnson. Ubaldo is a guy i'd deal for in a heartbeat but his mechanics may lead to a quick fadeout and Mes I feel is too strong a prospect to give up for that. Every team has an untouchable guy and other teams seem to be ok with that so I'd make Mes mine. He is the only guy in the system right now I don't believe I'd deal (because I can't see us getting a real chance at guys like Felix).
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Don't the reds have to offer him arbitration to be eligible to get the 2 draft picks? If they choose to let him walk without offering arbitration...we get nothing IIRC.

But considering my record on these matters...I'm most likely wrong. :O)
    No you are correct and I think it's pretty obvious that they won't offer it to him (see Arthur Rhodes). Hanny is signed for a few years yet and they know Mes is ready or will be for sure by then.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The Reds shouldn't trade Devin Mesoraco for anyone with less than 4 years left on their deal and that player better be a star right now. Anything other than that and its a bad deal. I wouldn't hesitate to trade Grandal in the right deal, as I don't think he is going to get a shot in Cincinnati, but he is a very good prospect in his own right and I wouldn't just be tossing him into any trade.

Grandal can't be traded until 1 year from when he signed - which I believe was mid-August - can he? They would have to do a player to be named later deal, which I guess would not be hard, and the other team would have less than a month to wait, so that may not be a hindrnce at all

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I would trade Grandal in a heartbeat as I don't believe he will be that great a catcher as a Major Leaguer. I'm not even sure his bat will play all that well either. So if someone is willing to accept him as a strong piece in a deal for a front line pitcher or bat or even a similar prospect at a position of need I'm in (say like 3rd base). Now of course if the organization strongly believes he could play 3rd or they consider him a strong potential replacement for Votto (assuming they expect Votto to leave via FA) then I'd be much more inclined to keep him.
    IMO, you underestimate Grandal greatly.

He's always had great plate discipline, and some power, and he should hit enough to be a veryt good regular catcher in the majors.

It's more like Mess will be moved off of catcher.

I like them both and would be extremely reluctant to trade Grandal. Mes would be next to untouchable. They both represent tremendous value to the club over the next 6-7 years.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto, Mike Leake, Homer Bailey, and Aroldis Chapman are all in their low-mid 20's. To say this team's window is closing is kind of silly at this point.
    Votto is gone after 2013, though. I am not ready to proclaim that Leake is an above-average major leaguer yet. Bruce will be there. Pitchers are volatile, but Cueto should be a part of the next window too. I think Homer Bailey could be a big part of this team's future, but his injury history scares me. Chapman may never be moved to the rotation.

I want to win while Phillips is here and while Rolen has temporarily filled the black hole at third base ever since Sabo. I think the Reds will still be good in 2014, but I would like to see the Reds make themselves as competitive as possible before their All Stars are gone at second and third and their MVP has moved on to greener pastures.

I am not trying to be a pessimist, I am just trying to be a realist. An ace really boosts this team's chances this year and for the next couple.

I get a Saltamacchia vibe from Grandal.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Grandal can't be traded until 1 year from when he signed - which I believe was mid-August - can he?
    They can't name him in a deal, but he can be an agreed on PTBNL and then change teams one year after he signed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    IMO, you underestimate Grandal greatly.

He's always had great plate discipline, and some power, and he should hit enough to be a veryt good regular catcher in the majors.

It's more like Mess will be moved off of catcher.
    I doubt it very much, Mes is a much better defender. I don't believe Grandal has the arm to stick at catcher and he isn't particularly nifty in any other aspect of catching either, JMO.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I get a Saltamacchia vibe from Grandal.
    Absolutely, couldn't have made a better comp.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    So, if a high end pitcher becomes available, only the Reds can get him?

Because only the Reds have Mess.

We have enough quality prospects to complete a deal deal without including Mess.

Much like teams without Mess can complete a deal also.

Lots of high end deals get completed without a team's best prospect being included.
    If the Reds go for a truly high end pitcher, IMO it is highly likely that the trade partner will insist on Mes.

The Reds could say no. Maybe the deal happens anyway, maybe not.

The other teams aren't stupid. Mes is by far the Reds' best prospect in the minors. They all know it.

So -- this year -- it could be a choice between keeping Mes or getting the pitcher.

Hope not, but it could easily turn out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I doubt it very much, Mes is a much better defender. I don't believe Grandal has the arm to stick at catcher and he isn't particularly nifty in any other aspect of catching either, JMO.
    Grandal's pop time in in the 1.9-1.95 range, which is considered average. Plenty of arm.

Turn Off Ads?