Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Devin Lohman

Devin Lohman

Is he 1 of the Reds worst picks in recent memory?

I know, I know, he's only 22. But I can't find anything redeeming about him other than his age.

Fast? No.
    Slick with the glove? No
    Power? No
    On Base Skills? No
    Hits for average? No

And he has struggled at every early stop in the minors. Obviously, he still has some time, but for a 3rd round pick, doesn't it appear that he will be a big disappointment?
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-17-2011 at 04:18 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Devin Lohman

Most 3rd round picks don't make it. It can't be stated enough -- the baseball draft is nothing like the football draft.

The folks who run the Reds draft do a good job. Take a look at the run of first round success in recent years. Cherrypicking higfh round selections that don't work out is pretty meaningless -- you can do it for every team in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Most 3rd round picks don't make it. It can't be stated enough -- the baseball draft is nothing like the football draft.

The folks who run the Reds draft do a good job. Take a look at the run of first round success in recent years. Cherrypicking higfh round selections that don't work out is pretty meaningless -- you can do it for every team in the majors.
    I buy into all of that, but what I want to know, is what did the Reds see? Most 3rd round picks at least have one or maybe even 2 qualities that stands out. I don't see any in Lohman now or before he was drafted.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-17-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yeah, third round was pretty weak for him. I expect more out of Chris Buckley and his staff. At least Lohman is playing well at Billings since his demotion from Dayton, but he damn well be better playing well at the rookie league level more than a year after getting drafted in the third round out of college.

Same thing was said about Cozart. Give prospects time, even college ones....
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Same thing was said about Cozart. Give prospects time, even college ones....
    Not really. Cozart was well known to be a good defensive shortstop when he was drafted and he was that from day 1. At the very least, that tool was showing. Lohman isn't a shortstop. He also hasn't shown much at all when it comes to the plate either.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Is he 1 of the Reds worst picks in recent memory?

I know, I know, he's only 22. But I can't find anything redeeming about him other than his age.

Fast? No.
    Slick with the glove? No
    Power? No
    On Base Skills? No
    Hits for average? No

And he has struggled at every early stop in the minors. Obviously, he still has some time, but for a 3rd round pick, doesn't it appear that he will be a big disappointment?
    Short answer- yes. I cannot recall another pick in the Top 100 picks under this scouting regime that was such a head-scratcher both at the time and in hindsight.

Bigger picture answer- lollipop summed it up. Every team has at least a couple of these. Fortunately, he is the only one that comes to mind for the Reds in the last few years. I think Sean Watson was the last Top 100 guy that never really got off the ground, and even still he had considerably more promise than Lohman.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-18-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Lohman may have been a stretch for the third round, but BA had him ranked as the 103rd best non-ptiching prospect leading up to the 2010 draft. They specifically state in their scouting blurb that Lohman has above average speed, average glove and arm, and was a line drive hitter who hit .415 in a college park that is considered by many to be the most pitcher friendly park in college baseball.

They do state that Lohman may be bettersuited to 2B than SS.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?