Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,041

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Could just be because he hasn't passed a physical or signed the actual papers yet, but the two sides have agreed on the deal. Or, could be totally made up. Hope not though.
    It's tough to make up an Int'l signing as you know. There's no point in that. I'm assuming pen hasn't hit paper yet, or like you said, a physical.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Still no final word on this? Very strange. Either Walt should know more than he does, or this was a fabricated story.

  4. #18
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    done deal according to this writer.

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...onathan-perez/
    .

  5. #19
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,053

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    done deal according to this writer.

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...onathan-perez/
    My favorite part of the piece is this:

    On Tuesday night, a Facebook account that other international sources have confirmed belongs to Jonathan Perez had a picture of Perez posing for a picture while wearing a Reds cap and shirt, standing between top Reds officials in Latin America in front of a wall painted with a Reds logo. By the next night, the picture was removed.

  6. #20
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    My favorite part of the piece is this:
    I also like: "His offspeed pitches are still raw."

    I would sure as hell hope so. I don't think a 16-year-old would or should have a "polished" curve or slide piece. They should just be learning how to throw those pitches at that age.

    Great to hear the deal is finalized ... despite the fact that Walt is either playing dumb, or is dumb. I prefer to think it's the former.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    816

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Sorry to bump an old thread but I was looking into some old signings and came across this thread and decided to do some digging to see how Perez was doing this year.

    I came across the following information while doing my research. Is this the same guy?

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=perez-001jon

    Or is that an incorrect player listing?

  8. #22
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I was looking into some old signings and came across this thread and decided to do some digging to see how Perez was doing this year.

    I came across the following information while doing my research. Is this the same guy?

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=perez-001jon

    Or is that an incorrect player listing?
    That's not the same Perez. The one in the article is a teenager from Venezuela. What makes it interesting is that when asked about it last year, Jocketty responded to Baseball America that the Reds didn't do the signing despite other sources out there that claimed they did.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    913

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    doh, zombie thread. Nevermind.
    Last edited by scott91575; 08-22-2012 at 04:30 AM.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    816

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That's not the same Perez. The one in the article is a teenager from Venezuela. What makes it interesting is that when asked about it last year, Jocketty responded to Baseball America that the Reds didn't do the signing despite other sources out there that claimed they did.
    I saw that too. I couldn't find anything actually confirming the signing outside of the initial reports in Mid-July that were never confirmed by any official sources

    I'm starting to think that it never happened

  11. #25
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,865

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    I saw that too. I couldn't find anything actually confirming the signing outside of the initial reports in Mid-July that were never confirmed by any official sources

    I'm starting to think that it never happened
    It happened.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    816

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Then where is he at?

    Can't find any information or stats on him

  13. #27
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,865

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Then where is he at?

    Can't find any information or stats on him
    I don't know where he is, but he was indeed signed. He is in the media guide on page 224 as a 16 year old.

    The guy that is in the AZL with the same name however is not in the media guide. But that guy is also a right hander who used to be a position player and is from an entirely different country.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 08-22-2012 at 08:27 AM.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    816

    Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Perez for 825k (VZ Pitcher)

    Yeah I saw that he was from the DR after the fact


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25