Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

WVU could be back on the SEC's radar as Missouri likely stays put, scheduling with 13 teams is likely to be a huge hassle.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    And even then, do you take it?

1. The conference is basically going to be the AAA of college sports. The four superconferences are set, so any future raiding would be of the remaining Big 12, Big East, or other midmajors.

2. If you move to the Big 12, odds are it is going to be a traveling nightmare with WVU being the furthest school east. For revenue generating sports, such as football, this can be overlooked. For nonrevenue sports such as lacrosse, this becomes an issue.

If I were WVU, I would stay put in a newly formed Big East, even if it sinks so bad that Marshall gets an invite. Become the Boise of the Big East in all sports and when the SEC/ACC looks to expand again, take it and don't look back.
    How much different would it be for those non revenue sports flying charter/renting compared to renting a bus? With the money the Big 12 would make you could get a couple planes strictly for non revenue purposes and write off the loss. Or you could strike a deal with one of the airlines to get cheaper tickets in exchange for the advertising.

And honestly I would rather be in AAA in the Big 12 than the AA that the Big East is becoming with who they are talking about adding. I don't believe the rumors about the service academies we have heard that for YEARS and yet to come to fruition.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This has been debated ad-nauseum in this thread. But just to recap:

Pro's:
    • Very loyal fan base that will sell out games
    • Extends into the Pittsburgh market, which is pretty good sized. ACC or Hybrid-Conference would also add Charleston and Huntington (SEC is already there)
    • In addition to Pittsburgh, most WVU graduates disperse following graduation. There is a following along the east coast, mainly in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina.

Cons:

• While loyal, WVU fans have a reputation of stupid fan incidents.
    • West Virginia offers nothing in terms of recruiting value.
    • The TV market will pick up for the state alone and some outside, but other teams have better credentials.
    • Academically, might as well call it South Pitt Technical College. Academics is why Pitt and Syracuse made it to the ACC.
    • Traveling isn't the greatest.
    I just don't see what WVU adds besides a nice football program with a loyal fan base. I don't see the attraction in landing Pittsburgh because they are at least the #3 team in that region behind Pitt and PSU. N. Carolina? They are behind UNC, NC State, and Duke as well as maybe East Carolina. Virginia and Maryland? I would say that Va Tech corners that market as well as Virginia and the other power house programs across the nation. They would bring the entire state of West Virginia, but I don't know what that is worth.

But this whole expansion thing got me thinking. What if the Pac 12 and Big 10 stand put and the Big 12 stays viable? The biggest name school to move was Nebraska. You can jockey all you want but if you are not landing a big name school (Texas, OU, OSU, OSU, Michigan, ND, PSU, USC, etc.) what is the purpose of expanding? It could be very interesting to see what happens if both the Pac 12 and Big 10 stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I just don't see what WVU adds besides a nice football program with a loyal fan base. I don't see the attraction in landing Pittsburgh because they are at least the #3 team in that region behind Pitt and PSU. N. Carolina? They are behind UNC, NC State, and Duke as well as maybe East Carolina. Virginia and Maryland? I would say that Va Tech corners that market as well as Virginia and the other power house programs across the nation. They would bring the entire state of West Virginia, but I don't know what that is worth.
    From a regional cable deal, it wouldn't be worth much. If the SEC goes the route of the B10 and Pac12 and forms their own network, there would be followers in those states.

The more I think about it, I would really like to see the SEC expand to 16 teams and go to a pod format. Play everybody in your pod in football and play another pod each year plus one from the other (NFL setup). In basketball play everybody in the pod twice and the rest of the conference once.

Example: (Add WVU, Missouri, A&M, and USF)

SEC North:
    Kentucky
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt
    West Virginia

SEC Atlantic:
    South Carolina
    Georgia
    Florida
    South Florida

SEC Gulf:
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State

SEC West:
    Arkansas
    LSU
    Missouri
    Texas A&M
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

A big part of me thinks that when all is said and done none of us will recognize the world of college sports.

ESPN reported that Texas A&M has joined the SEC.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...3_lnk3%7C98851

SEC announces Texas A&M becomes official member July 1, 2012
    PUBLISHED Sunday, Sep 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm EDT
    LAST UPDATED 14 minutes and 16 seconds ago
    Staff reportSporting News
    Text sizeAAA
    SEC presidents and chancellors announced Sunday that Texas A&M will join the conference as the league’s 13th member July 1, 2012, and the Aggies will begin competing in all sports for the 2012-13 academic year.

The SEC announced the move will be effective next July, and said Texas A&M will participate in all sports during the 2012-13 academic year. That gives the SEC 13 members and its first addition since South Carolina and Arkansas in 1992.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of schedule dance they do for 13 teams in football.
    Go Gators!

13 teams isn't unworkable, the MAC has been doing it on-and-off for years.

So as it stands now:

Big 12 has 9 teams
    SEC has 13
    Big East has 7 football schools

Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    So as it stands now:

Big 12 has 9 teams
    SEC has 13
    Big East has 7 football schools

Is that right?
    Yep, a lot of rumors flying around that at least 5 of the Big East teams already have other homes (Rutgers and UConn to ACC or Big 10, WVU to SEC or Big 12, UC and Louisville to the Big 12, USF and TCU Screwed). Theres those saying that at least the Louisville deal is suppose to be announced sometime this week.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Yep, a lot of rumors flying around that at least 5 of the Big East teams already have other homes (Rutgers and UConn to ACC or Big 10, WVU to SEC or Big 12, UC and Louisville to the Big 12, USF and TCU Screwed). Theres those saying that at least the Louisville deal is suppose to be announced sometime this week.
    Interesting. I guess we'll see how it plays out, but I don't see most of those moves being made.

If Oklahoma is going to stay and the PAC 12 doesn't want to expand than the Big 12 will grab 1 or 3 schools depending on what they want to do. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of Boise St or BYU to the Big 12.

It sounds like Missouri will be the 14th SEC member.

I'm not sure who the Big East picks up and if they lose Louisville I think that's probably it. I guess UCF, ECU, Marshall, maybe Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Interesting. I guess we'll see how it plays out, but I don't see most of those moves being made.

If Oklahoma is going to stay and the PAC 12 doesn't want to expand than the Big 12 will grab 1 or 3 schools depending on what they want to do. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of Boise St or BYU to the Big 12.

It sounds like Missouri will be the 14th SEC member.

I'm not sure who the Big East picks up and if they lose Louisville I think that's probably it. I guess UCF, ECU, Marshall, maybe Houston?
    Marshall will be so far down the list that the Big East will cease football before they get to them.

And at this point if the Big East loses any ONE of Louisville, WVU, USF, TCU the league is DONE. Those 4 could possibly become enough of a core to patch something together but without all 3 there is no chance I see.

I don't think Missery wants to go to the SEC, they want to go to the big 10. A big 12 with Texas and Oklahoma leaves them plenty of power as a football conference to buy them time. They are also (i heard) the head of the conference expansion committee for the Big 12 I read. I don't think they leave the Big 12 for the SEC, they would if the Big 10 called. I also think SEC is less than thrilled with any option. Combine Missery's market and WVU passion and the invite would have long ago been sent.

Texas seems to want to just go back to 10 (easier trek to BcS) the rest of the league seems to want to go to 12. I think they end up at 12.

Big East "Expansion": Army, Navy, Houston and call it a day. Puts the big east back at 8 and 8 (academy football only) for all sports. If no one else gets pilfered.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Marshall will be so far down the list that the Big East will cease football before they get to them.

And at this point if the Big East loses any ONE of Louisville, WVU, USF, TCU the league is DONE. Those 4 could possibly become enough of a core to patch something together but without all 3 there is no chance I see.

I don't think Missery wants to go to the SEC, they want to go to the big 10. A big 12 with Texas and Oklahoma leaves them plenty of power as a football conference to buy them time. They are also (i heard) the head of the conference expansion committee for the Big 12 I read. I don't think they leave the Big 12 for the SEC, they would if the Big 10 called. I also think SEC is less than thrilled with any option. Combine Missery's market and WVU passion and the invite would have long ago been sent.

Texas seems to want to just go back to 10 (easier trek to BcS) the rest of the league seems to want to go to 12. I think they end up at 12.

Big East "Expansion": Army, Navy, Houston and call it a day. Puts the big east back at 8 and 8 (academy football only) for all sports. If no one else gets pilfered.
    I'm sure Missouri wants to join the Big 10, but I don't believe that feeling is mutual. I don't think Missouri is the SECs preferred choice, but is probably the path of least resistence.

Are Army and Navy real possiblities? I would think they are behind several other schools, but I could be wrong.

The Big East has been after Army and Navy for years as football only members, but the schools have no interest.

Turn Off Ads?