Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

I've been hearing some Vanderbilt to the ACC stuff too.

Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

Ever.

Unless they threw us, kicking, screaming, and suing, out on our butts. No one is leaving the SEC.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I've been hearing some Vanderbilt to the ACC stuff too.

Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

Ever.

Unless they threw us, kicking, screaming, and suing, out on our butts. No one is leaving the SEC.
    I always thought the Big 10 might have a dark horse interest in them. Get them on the Big 10 Network and in tv in Nashville.

Vanderbilt would get into a conference of similar schools with similar admittance standards and maybe compete better than they do in the SEC without losing as much money.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I always thought the Big 10 might have a dark horse interest in them. Get them on the Big 10 Network and in tv in Nashville.

Vanderbilt would get into a conference of similar schools with similar admittance standards and maybe compete better than they do in the SEC without losing as much money.
    Even less likely. Vanderbilt views itself, and rightfully so, as very much of a Southern school.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Even less likely. Vanderbilt views itself, and rightfully so, as very much of a Southern school.
    Fair enough.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

This is how I would fix the Big East (and this is what should have been done a long time ago). Obviously I know real life doesn't work this way.

1. Bring Louisville, West Virginia, UConn, and Rutgers to the table and tell them they have until October 31st to decide their future. These four are the schools that have been shopping themselves to other conferences. If they leave the conference before the 31st, they will pay the standard buyout. Anything after and the buyout is raised to 20 million to keep in line with the ACC.

This forces the hand of the schools, in which case I would look for three of the four to break off from the conference (making it easier for an invite). Louisville would join the Big 12, West Virginia would be either B12 or SEC, UConn would likely leave for the ACC and Rutgers would stay.

2. Call all of the basketball schools together and give them a similar option, either compete in all sports or withdraw from the Big East completely. The only one I see that would likely move to FBS is Villanova, while the rest would likely form their own conference.

This leaves the following schools:

South Florida
    Cincinnati
    Villanova
    Rutgers

3.The following schools would then be merged with Conference USA in a 16 team division:

Eastern Pod:
    Marshall
    Rutgers
    Villanova
    Cincinnati

Gulf Pod:
    UCF
    USF
    UAB
    ECU

Texas Pod:
    Houston
    Rice
    SMU
    UTEP

Western Pod:
    Tulsa
    Tulane
    Memphis
    Southern Miss

Granted, this is the atomic bomb in dissolving the conference, but its better than trying to save it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Granted, this is the atomic bomb in dissolving the conference, but its better than trying to save it.
    What you end up with here is a garbage conference that costs a lot of money for non-revenue sports to travel in and brings nothing to the table for football. They'd never give that conference AQ status to the BCS, and no one in the right mind would pay a dime for national broadcast rights.

If that's what you're going to end up with, better to form a smaller conference more regionally-centric and wait for the next round of expansion to try your hand.

No sense wasting time creating a giant conference that spans half of the country only to get regional telecasts on FSN.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

This is how I would fix the Big East (and this is what should have been done a long time ago). Obviously I know real life doesn't work this way.

1. Bring Louisville, West Virginia, UConn, and Rutgers to the table and tell them they have until October 31st to decide their future. These four are the schools that have been shopping themselves to other conferences. If they leave the conference before the 31st, they will pay the standard buyout. Anything after and the buyout is raised to 20 million to keep in line with the ACC.
    Providence has been trying to up the buyout and the schools have been laughing right in his face. You'd never get it passed this Big East.

This forces the hand of the schools, in which case I would look for three of the four to break off from the conference (making it easier for an invite). Louisville would join the Big 12, West Virginia would be either B12 or SEC, UConn would likely leave for the ACC and Rutgers would stay.
    I think you have that reverse. If I were a gambling man here is how I forsee it:

WVU: SEC #14
    Louisville: Big 12 #11
    Cincinnati Big 12 #12 (More games at Paul Brown Stadium, kick back to Louisville)
    Rutgers ACC #16 (with a big fish linked to it as #15)
    UConn SOL until B1G decides to expand or they are used to replace teams pilfered in the ACC
    USF: Only prayer is ACC if the SEC gets Florida State. I wish the Big 12 would look at them if they goto 14 I think theyd do well (lot of midwesterners move to St Pete for retirement or so I have been told)

2. Call all of the basketball schools together and give them a similar option, either compete in all sports or withdraw from the Big East completely. The only one I see that would likely move to FBS is Villanova, while the rest would likely form their own conference.
    You're more than likely to get the response of okay, you're fired take the football schools with you. There isn't the voting numbers for anything similar to that. I see the basketball schools just waiting out the football schools and then reverting to an all basketball conference with them adding the likes of Dayton, Butler, etc and resuming as a top tier basketball conference.

And I don't believe Nova has near the school support or infrastructure to become Division 1. Their rumored plan involves a 28k soccer stadium as their home field. It would be among (if not THE) smallest BcS stadiums.

This is what I am waiting on. I think the only reason they haven't done this is they are trying to wait out WVU and Louisville to collect the exit fees.
    Last edited by Slyder; 10-13-2011 at 11:00 PM.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    What you end up with here is a garbage conference that costs a lot of money for non-revenue sports to travel in and brings nothing to the table for football. They'd never give that conference AQ status to the BCS, and no one in the right mind would pay a dime for national broadcast rights.

If that's what you're going to end up with, better to form a smaller conference more regionally-centric and wait for the next round of expansion to try your hand.

No sense wasting time creating a giant conference that spans half of the country only to get regional telecasts on FSN.
    I don't disagree with anything you said, but I think its a lot more realistic than the Big East trying to add Boise State or the service academies. Regardless of what happens, there is going to be a garbage conference, just depends on whether the name on it is Big East or C-USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

An official in the Big East tells The Associated Press that the conference plans to double its exit fee to $10 million dollars, then invite Boise State, Navy and Air Force as football-only members, and Central Florida as a member in all sports.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1an4uWBj8

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Mutliple reports today that the Big East is going to offer UCF, Navy, Air Force and Boise within a week, possibly this weekend. Assuming those schools all accept offers would then go to Houston and SMU. Word is Nova is trying there level best to keep Temple out of the Big East.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Conference USA and the Mountain West announced Friday a football consolidation of their combined 22 schools "in one large association."

The plan is for the champion of each conference to then play in a championship game perhaps as soon as 2012. The unique, first-of-its kind arrangement will span five time zones and reach from the East Coast to Hawaii.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...70202/32718514

Apparently the goal here is to create the world's biggest conference that absolutely no one cares about.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Apparently the goal here is to create the world's biggest conference that absolutely no one cares about.
    Strangely though, that makes more sense than Boise to the Big East.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I thought I read that the conference champs played each other in hopes the winner would get the BcS bid vacated when the monstrosity that is the Big East Dies. Or at least puts up enough "stability" to prevent the Big East from replenishing its rolls.

Although if you took only the "best of the best" from each here's what you would have from a conference:

1 TCU (and yes I know big 12, just wanting to put them in there)
    2 Boise
    3 Houston
    4 SMU
    5 ECU
    6 So Miss
    7 Tulsa
    8 UCF

Would that 8 plus 4 or 6 of the big east schools be enough to make anyone care?

William Arthur Ward

I don't know, the fact that Hawaii/East Carolina would be a "conference" game is at least mildly amusing.

The Big East raised their buyout by $5 million. WVU broadcaster Tony Caridi said this morning that while, as usual, nothing is even halfway certain, the most likely scenario at the moment is WVU (or maybe Louisville, but Caridi's hearing WVU) going to the Big 12 (whatever numbers mean) when Missouri goes to the SEC.

I've lost track; are there now 12 teams in the Big 10, and would this make 10 teams in the Big 12?

Turn Off Ads?