Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    One thing I wonder if they would discuss is letting UC, UConn, USF stick around for all other sports while they find permanent homes. This is why I thought you might see someone try and get creative for a football only "best of" conference who that was the ONLY sport that league would sponsor.

Assumption:
    Big 12 takes NC State/Clemson, Va Tech, FSU and Miami to get to 14.
    SEC takes UNC and Duke to get to 16.
    B1G takes Ga Tech and Virginia to get to 16.

Would the remaints be able to cobble something together FOOTBALL ONLY to try and maximize what tv dollars they can get while all the other sports cut cost by staying more local based?
    Duke and NC to the SEC would never happen.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Duke and NC to the SEC would never happen.
    If there were no other options for the SEC I could see taking them. That being said, I'd rather look at UVA or Virginia Tech and NC State first.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The SEC has been hard to read, A&M came to them first, I do think it will be a huge mistake on their part if they let the b1g into SEC states (Georgia), inviting Tech back might piss the pups off but it's better for the conference.
    Go Gators!

I'll believe the BE7 split when I see it. I think working on something with Memphis, Temple, SMU (Larry Brown), UC & Uconn (which those last two can't wait to leave), may be best while adding Xavier and a few others. It's always been a jacked up conference, now it's just a little bit moreso. I don't really care for St. Johns (purgatory), Providance (biblical history), DePaul (leperacy), Seton Hall (lukewarm). Those teams do almost nothing for me, or perhaps even less than nothing. Georgetown is the only team that has a clearly better tradition than Xavier. Villanova and Marquette have some FF's, but are largely the very same as Xavier. I'm just not feeling the huge upgrade. Nor am I feeling like this is all bound to happen.

DeCourcy article on UConn and UC's plan of action:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...nt-connecticut
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida, Memphis, Temple, Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV, New Mexico and possibly BYU or Central Florida?

Color me unwilling to watch.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida, Memphis, Temple, Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV, New Mexico and possibly BYU or Central Florida?

http://www.kansastravel.org/geographicalcenter.htm

Got your conference championship game site all picked out.

That looks like a good bracket from the NCAA tourney. There are several horrible games football wise, though. IMO, these national arrangements will be laughed at and demolished within 5 years, especially if their other sports will have to put up with this travel.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    http://www.kansastravel.org/geographicalcenter.htm

Got your conference championship game site all picked out.
    Haha, I love the "Kansas Attractions" link at the bottom. That's an oxymoron in the context of that site.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This conference would be lucky to generate $3-$4 million per school in a media rights deal.

Better off being in a regional area to minimize travel costs.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

You're an SEC guy. Honestly, I wouldn't expect you to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    That looks like a good bracket from the NCAA tourney. There are several horrible games football wise, though. IMO, these national arrangements will be laughed at and demolished within 5 years, especially if their other sports will have to put up with this travel.
    Nine potential tourney teams.

As for football, I hear a lot about travel costs, etc... but that isn't important right now. Everyone outside of the ACC, B1G, B12, P10, and SEC is in a scramble to become the most relevant conference of the have nots. With the new playoff and bowl structure, you've got every incentive to maximize SoS and try to monopolize the one at large bowl bid. Otherwise, it's a toss up between everyone outside of the big 5. That's why you won't see UC joining the MAC or some other
    Last edited by wolfboy; 12-14-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This conference would be lucky to generate $3-$4 million per school in a media rights deal.

Better off being in a regional area to minimize travel costs.
    Joining the MAC to cut down travel costs would be penny wise and pound foolish.

The program is moving in the right direction internally, the administration and BOT are finally showing the willingness to invest in the future of the athletic department and they're one or two defections away from ending up in one of the five remaining power conferences. The second UC decided to join the MAC all of this progress would come to a screeching halt and the program would never recover.

I'd much rather eat the costs of extra travel expenses playing the best of the rest and waiting for a seat at the table than simply walking away.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Georgetown is the only team that has a clearly better tradition than Xavier. Villanova and Marquette have some FF's, but are largely the very same as Xavier.
    I might need a translation but if you're saying Xavier has as good a "tradition" as Marquette, you need to spend a little time in the library. Start with A for Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I might need a translation but if you're saying Xavier has as good a "tradition" as Marquette, you need to spend a little time in the library. Start with A for Al.
    Agreed. Xavier hasn't even made a final four. Marquette has a national championship, a runner up, and three final four appearances. Xavier has made a few elite eights, but Marquette has gone to three times as many. Xavier has a lot to be proud of, but that's just silly.

Turn Off Ads?