Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm sure Missouri wants to join the Big 10, but I don't believe that feeling is mutual. I don't think Missouri is the SECs preferred choice, but is probably the path of least resistence.

Are Army and Navy real possiblities? I would think they are behind several other schools, but I could be wrong.
    The thought process is strengthen the government influence card. You add those schools for football in hopes that you can prevent the loss of the bid and pr that these young guys are good enough to serve for the military but you're saying they aren't good enough to play for a championship?

Looking back the Big East really needed to do a couple things IMO.
    1 Let the ACC take who they wanted to begin with. Outside of the mythical tv set stupidity what has/did Syracuse or BC add? Virginia Tech has been the ONLY thing keeping ACC relevant in football the last 5 years or so.

2 Everyone talks about adding tv sets but what has been SEC's motis operendi? Quality programs and quality on field teams.

The Big East should have gone to at least 10 teams immediately after the raid. You were going to be dealing (tv wise) from a spot of weakness regardless so take some programs who put quality teams on the field and have pretty good upside in hopes they can add value to the next tv deal.

Still add Louisville, USF, and Cincy (which got them back to 8) but also add at least 2 of TCU, Houston, ECU, or UCF. Each of those schools while not adding a lot to the immediate value of the Big East could have developed into something more with time and the recruiting resources of the aq.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.footballrumormill.com/201...o-join-big-12/

I got this from the OSU scout board and the guy that posted it there is pretty reliable on these things.

BYU, TCU, WVU, Louisville and the Bearcats to the Big 14.

I got this from the OSU scout board and the guy that posted it there is pretty reliable on these things.

This one seems to have quite a bit of smoke behind it. Also, the rumor is that BYU is already a done deal and the Big 12/14 is now transitioning to the Big East castoffs.

Potentially really great news for UC, UofL and WVU fans around here.

From what I'm able to piece together from the non-pay wall sites, there will be two 7-team divisions with three inter-division games each year. This works out rather elegantly, as UofL, UC and WVU slide in with Mizzou, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State to form the North/East division while Texas, Texas Tech, OU, Okie State, Baylor, TCU and BYU form the other half.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-29-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

If that happens, Texas and OU will not be in the same division.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    If that happens, Texas and OU will not be in the same division.
    Of course they will. Neither of those schools want to risk a rematch of the Red River Rivalry each year. Splitting OU and Texas makes sense for divisional balance but not for either of those schools.

The North would be exceptionally weak compared to the South. I would think they would rather meet in Big 12 championship with an outside shot at BCS bowl even if you lose.

The North would be exceptionally weak compared to the South. I would think they would rather meet in Big 12 championship with an outside shot at BCS bowl even if you lose.
    But that's kinda how it is now, yeah?

That would end all Missouri to the sec talk...thank goodness
    Go Gators!

That's what struck me immediately. There's not a one of those schools that strikes fear in an opponents heart.

I have to admit that it just seems like a weird amalgamation to me. Better than sticking in the Big East, but still kind of a pseudo-conference.

What a weird conference with uninteresting story lines.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Would not surprise me to see the Big 12 absorb the remaining Big East members I think the bridge between the basketball schools and football schools has been forever burned and the gap is wider than the Grand Canyon right now and no person is going to ever fix it.

One question though anyone think that maybe O. Luck used some of his connections (IF WVU is in the SEC) to maybe get USF included in WVU's place? I would really hate to see USF left out because they've actually done quite well since moving to the Big East. If not USF's ONLY hope is the ACC and Fla State goes to the SEC.

Rutgers and UConn or ND to the ACC to get it to 16. I don't see how the Big 10 can sit back and let everyone east of the rockies goto 16 without them doing anything but at this point looks like they're going to have to take "what's left".
    Last edited by Slyder; 09-29-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

In other news, Rick Pitino will be faxing in his resignation as Louisville head basketball coach.*

* Pitino has been extremely outspoken regarding UConn and other schools leaving the Big East, even comparing it to him leaving Kentucky for the NBA. If Louisville gives up playing in Manhattan NY to play in Manhattan KS, you will see Ricky Three Stacks hang it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Of course they will. Neither of those schools want to risk a rematch of the Red River Rivalry each year. Splitting OU and Texas makes sense for divisional balance but not for either of those schools.
    If Ohio State and Michigan can be split into two different division and risk a rematch, so can Texas and Oklahoma.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    In other news, Rick Pitino will be faxing in his resignation as Louisville head basketball coach.*
    Pitino thinks Temple and the service academies would make a good conference -- his priorities are clearly at odds with what's best for the football playing members of the Big East.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I think Pitino knows a move away from the Big East puts a big dent into his NYC recruting connections. He's successfully recruited many talented players from the NYC area during his time at Boston U, Providence, Kentucky & Louisville. Gonna be a lot tougher to pull them into the midwest when they don't get a return trip home 2-4 times a season to play games.

the question for Louisville, aside from the obvious ones in football, is what is better for their basketball program, playing regular games vs UConn, Georgetown, & Marquette, or regular games vs Texas, Kansas & Missouri. Seems like the later set (assuming the remaining conference games are fairly similar or identical depending on who moves with them) would be more prestigous in basketball. Losing Syracuse and Pitt really killed the eastern identity of Big East football. Of course in football, its a no brainer, matching up with Texas & Oklahoma beats anything in the current or future big east.
    Last edited by medford; 09-30-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Turn Off Ads?