Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

The ACC and the Big East were the premiere Basket Ball Conferences. The odds were that either the ACC or the Big East would win the championship.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The ACC tournament has always been huge. The Big East has drawn well in their tournament as well. I am a huge NC State fan. I would love adding UConn, Louisville and Cincinnati. It would improve the conference in both football and basketball.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 11-24-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I am a huge NC State fan.

Never heard of them. I'm sure Boeheim and Patino are going to love going to Raleigh, North Carolina. Boeheim's probably checking his map right now. Not exactly Broadway, is it Rick? No wonder Calhoun retired.

Big difference between the ACC tourney and the Big East Tourney: the Garden and the NYC media!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Never heard of them. I'm sure Boeheim and Patino are going to love going to Raleigh, North Carolina. Boeheim's probably checking his map right now. Not exactly Broadway, is it Rick? No wonder Calhoun retired.

Big difference between the ACC tourney and the Big East Tourney: the Garden and the NYC media!
    Guess what? If they add Cinci, U of L, and UConn along with St. Johns to even up Notre Dame's BB addition, the prospect of taking the ACC tourney to MSG gets very real.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Guess what? If they add Cinci, U of L, and UConn along with St. Johns to even up Notre Dame's BB addition, the prospect of taking the ACC tourney to MSG gets very real.
    It will be an insult to the history of college basketball in that fantastic facility. To go from big boy basketball to flop a long NC basketball wouldn't you want a refund?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    1. Syracuse does not add the same New York fan base as Rutgers. Folks in the metro area don't even realize that Syracuse has a football team. Actually no fan base for either.

2. I agree with your statement that the Big 12 made a "panic move" but I think this was a panic move by the Big 10 as well. I think the Big 10 freaked when they didn't get Notre Dame.

3. Admittedly I'm not too expert about how this Cable $ works, but I find it hard to believe that the extra revenue generated by Rutgers and Maryland (Rutgers?) will justify all the negatives resulting to the Big 10 by these additions. Bear in mind the NY market is fractured in cable carriers and they are tough negotiators. The consumer will not pay more to get the Big 10 network. There is simply not much of a fan base to drive revenue. Granted it's more more money but hardly a bonanza.

(Rutgers getting basted by Pitt as we speak. Imagine what will happen when they travel to Columbus or Madison).
    Syracuse is a basketball pickup only. Then again, if they add Louisville, Cincy, and UConn you could say the same thing. Syracuse basketball > Rutgers basketball. It's the only logical thing the ACC is doing.

The problem is that ultimately the football schools will be driven off, namely Florida State and maybe Virginia Tech (although UVA will probably have a say in that). If the SEC looks to expand, I wouldn't mind seeing NC State as a possibility. Rabid fanbase that is basically the redheaded stepchild of Tobacco Road but would add a solid media market and football program. If anything, it would be another Texas A&M.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm just starting to wonder where this is all going to end up. Teams shifting conference to conference to conference. I get that its all about the green, but I'm afraid they are just going to break college football.

It's kinda like what I call the birdcage re-org in the corporate world. You have a cage filled with birds on various perches. You ka-wham the side of the cage and there is a great amount of squawking and fluttering as the birds fly and scurry around to find a new perch. But at the end of the day, its still the same cage and the same birds, just different perches. Not much changed, but a great amount of effort was expended.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The irony of the situation is this: the only organization that can regulate the chaos is the one organization that everyone hates and mistrusts. The NCAA. But, there is one issue they should regulate: scheduling. This is the one thing that has always bothered me about college football and basketball (but is more egregious in football). How can anyone consider a season where a team plays 8 home games and 4 road games legitimate? I knows why they do it, but it is the biggest reason that the big boys of college football will always be the big boys.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...95--ncaaf.html

N.C. State’s Tom O’Brien becomes the first surprise coaching casualty

Not a lot of people considered Tom O'Brien on the hot seat this season, especially since North Carolina State finished 7-5, 4-4 in conference play and third in the ACC Atlantic.

Yet, O'Brien was the first coach shown the door Sunday following the Wolfpack's win over Boston College to mark the end of the regular season. O'Brien, 64, completed the Wolfpack's third consecutive winning campaign.

"Coach O'Brien's service to N.C. State over the last six years has been sincerely appreciated by Wolfpack Nation," athletics director Debbie Yow said in a statement on the school's website. "We especially appreciate his attention toward NCAA rules compliance, a value that will continue to be held by N.C. State. We wish him well in future pursuits."

But the season did not live up to expectations and the Wolfpack never posed a serious threat to ACC Atlantic stalwarts Florida State and Clemson in the standings. Even though N.C. State did upset the Seminoles 17-16, the Wolfpack's inconsistent play also led to losses to North Carolina and Virginia.

O'Brien was 40-35 in his six seasons with the program, but just 22-26 in ACC play. He was 11-19 against ACC Atlantic opponents and just 1-14 on the road against those teams.

He was a surprise hire (since he was awfully average in Boston) and a surprise fire.

Big East adds Tulane in all sports and East Carolina in football.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a2&eref=sihp

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

The Big East has somehow managed to form a worse version of the old C-USA (no TCU).

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

ECU is about 10 years too late. They should have gotten an invite in 03 as a low risk/high reward right in the ACC backyard after the first raid. They have some potential and have shown some real desire to play big boy football. And has the money to invest (I think they just expanded their stadium). Granted I would have gone to 12 with the Big East championship and taken some schools who would travel to bowls (ECU) to try and make the whole Big East look more palatable to bowls.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Memphis left C-USA to join........

C-USA.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Speaking as a Tulane alum, any conference with Tulane in it is a conference you want no part of.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?