Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    If Ohio State and Michigan can be split into two different division and risk a rematch, so can Texas and Oklahoma.
    Ditto Alabama-Tennessee, UF-LSU and Auburn-UGa. Not as big a rivalries as the two mentioned, but still n
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Ditto Alabama-Tennessee, UF-LSU and Auburn-UGa. Not as big a rivalries as the two mentioned, but still n
    There is talk that Auburn could move to the east which would create Auburn-Alabama.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is talk that Auburn could move to the east which would create Auburn-Alabama.
    True but it won't happen, the Elephants get the special treatment.

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    True but it won't happen, the Elephants get the special treatment.

Glad to see that map maker doesn't know where Nashville is.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Glad to see that map maker doesn't know where Nashville is.
    Give them a break, they're Missouri fans.
    Go Gators!

Admins feel free to delete the WVU post if you want to try and keep it specifically for things WVU related and confirmed news about WVU. I am pasting it here.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    FSU isn't getting in. Same goes for Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Louisville. There is a gentlemens agreement in place between Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Kentucky to block any other in-state school from joining the conference.

With Missouri's announcement regarding leaving, I hope you're right about the SEC going to 15 teams.
    The "gentlemen's agreement" is a rumor like everything else out there, not saying whether its true or not just that its a rumor like everything else.

Money talks and besides ND and Texas, FSU brings the most on a national stage of anyone else there is left. The SEC shops quality product where the ACC just goes on tv markets (regardless of whether anyone cares). The last ACC move was for basketball and FSU knows exactly where their bread is buttered (read not basketball) and they are about to become the big fish in a glass of water. The SEC knows what it would mean to get them as 16. Another rumor was that they were one to push HARD for WVU inclusion in the last expansion but the Tobacco Road Mafia called their bluff and FSU did setup a committee to look at conference affiliation.

And before someone else brings up the buyout raise. FSU was one of the reasons it was only raised to 20 mil from 13 or whatever it was before. For a major athletic department that is a few phone calls to the big cat donors.

A little bit of history Florida actually pushed hard for FSU in the 90s before Bowden and FSU decided to take the "easier path". Florida would accept FSU's inclusion but they won't politic for them like they did then, I believe.

No one else makes sense for 16 (that wouldn't have to bring little brother with them). Va Tech sold their freedom to get into ACC, I doubt if even if they wanted they could get out from under the legislatures thumb (note all bets are off if B1G wants UVa Long Shot I know), Do NC State or Clemson see value of leaving the blue bloods and the Big East schools do ANY of them really provide any value football wise that might entice SEC?

The cap on BcS teams is far from certain so you add more confusion to your member schools staying at 15 without relative security from someone that they would be 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    A little bit of history Florida actually pushed hard for FSU in the 90s before Bowden and FSU decided to take the "easier path". Florida would accept FSU's inclusion but they won't politic for them like they did then, I believe.
    There is actually more history to it, Florida pushed for fsu from the late 60's on when Georgia Tech and Tulane bailed out, the SEC put it off over and over again and when they finally were ready to invite them fsu bailed out, pissing a lot of Florida and SEC people off, many of whom are still in the conference office.

I don't see an invite coming for the other thing you said, "easier path" fsu likely still favors that plan since it helped them get two titles in the 90's.
    Go Gators!

There is actually more history to it, Florida pushed for fsu from the late 60's on when Georgia Tech and Tulane bailed out, the SEC put it off over and over again and when they finally were ready to invite them fsu bailed out, pissing a lot of Florida and SEC people off, many of whom are still in the conference office.

I don't see an invite coming for the other thing you said, "easier path" fsu likely still favors that plan since it helped them get two titles in the 90's.
    The ACC is going to be the new Big East and if the BcS bids start going to "most deserving" and no guarenteed bids then the ACC is one of the conferences most affected by this. All the bids will get swallowed up SEC, B1G, and Pac since they will produce the most quality, the ACC on the other hand outside of Va Tech and FSU go for tv markets rather than quality programs.

On the scout site an FSU fan posted when they found out about Pitt and Syracuse the following....

Its almost as if the ACC broke into the big east house and took the trash and left the safe.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Am I forgetting someone? Who else makes sense for the SEC to poach than Florida State University that would make it 16? Va Tech sold its independence to get into the ACC no chance they get out of that deal with the devil (Legislature), Texas or Oklahoma would be required to bring little brother with them, Notre Dame... yea I think they'd join Big East football before SEC (the academic side would almost certainly join them with Big 10 or ACC, plus there is that little problem called NBC).

William Arthur Ward

I still don't think 16 team conferences are going to happen, the ACC could have Uconn and Rutgers right now but hasn't pulled the trigger, the SEC also seems to be taking their time with 14 rather then a mad rush, the Pac12 and Big10+2 also don't seem to be in a hurry to do anything.

If an ACC team can be raided, I'd go with Clemson, but I guess I'm partial to Orange.
    Go Gators!

Missouri's BOC has given permission to explore new opportunities for Mizzou. I think they will be team #14 in the SEC very shortly.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/04...i-to-look.html
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I still don't think 16 team conferences are going to happen, the ACC could have Uconn and Rutgers right now but hasn't pulled the trigger, the SEC also seems to be taking their time with 14 rather then a mad rush, the Pac12 and Big10+2 also don't seem to be in a hurry to do anything.

If an ACC team can be raided, I'd go with Clemson, but I guess I'm partial to Orange.
    ACC thinks Notre Dame and Penn State are options. Its why they haven't gone and brought Rutgers and UConn into the fold and delivered the final blow to the big east. Notre Dame is who the Big 10 is waiting for, death of the big east in football would destabilize ND's olympic sports and may force them to leave independence behind. When that happens the ACC or Big 10 will expand to 16.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    ACC thinks Notre Dame and Penn State are options. Its why they haven't gone and brought Rutgers and UConn into the fold and delivered the final blow to the big east. Notre Dame is who the Big 10 is waiting for, death of the big east in football would destabilize ND's olympic sports and may force them to leave independence behind. When that happens the ACC or Big 10 will expand to 16.
    Haven't heard Penn State as an option. Why would they leave the B10 for the ACC though?

Been hearing that Louisville is likely Big 12 bound if Mizzou bolts, much to the chagrin of the Godfather Rick Pitino.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Haven't heard Penn State as an option. Why would they leave the B10 for the ACC though?

Been hearing that Louisville is likely Big 12 bound if Mizzou bolts, much to the chagrin of the Godfather Rick Pitino.
    Its mostly smoke from what I have heard that Penn State isn't happy with the lack of eastern teams and tired of being an outpost to itself in the B1G. Joe Pa may see the "all sports conference" he wanted 30 years ago in the form of the ACC north division. If they go to the ACC they wouldn't lose much money in the terms of endowment because the ACC has a pretty sizable one too. At least that is how I would read it.

William Arthur Ward

None of the Big East basketball coaches like what is happening. Boeheim and Dixon do not like the moves to the ACC, and Pitino isn't going to like a potential move to the Big 12. The simple fact is the Big East ruled the roost in hoops, and other conferences knew it (and didn't like it). They have a huge national television presence, the best conference tournament venue/location in MSG and it was the deepest and most talented hoops conference in the country. The recruiting advantages were immense due to all those factors working together.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?