Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ohio State University Named AP's Best College Football Program of All Time

The Ohio State University Named AP's Best College Football Program of All Time

2. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (08-03-2016),jimbo (08-03-2016),Redsfaithful (08-03-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Ohio State University Named AP's Best College Football Program of All Time

Who the heck voted for Iowa Pre-Flight at number 98?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Re: The Ohio State University Named AP's Best College Football Program of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I was curious about that. Looking into it, it was one of those military programs attached to universities, army and naval bases during WWII that played football to promote fitness and provide entertainment for the troops. Of course most of the recruits that played for these teams were typically college and pro players who had volunteered or been drafted into the military. When Paul Brown had to leave Ohio State to serve in the military, he ended up coaching at Great Lakes Naval Station. The teams then played against many of the universities whose rosters had been depleted by the draft. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of the players playing for Iowa Pre-Flight during it's three years of existence were taken from the rosters of Big 10 teams.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

6. Likes:

Chip R (08-03-2016),cumberlandreds (08-03-2016),Kingspoint (08-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I was curious about that. Looking into it, it was one of those military programs attached to universities, army and naval bases during WWII that played football to promote fitness and provide entertainment for the troops. Of course most of the recruits that played for these teams were typically college and pro players who had volunteered or been drafted into the military. When Paul Brown had to leave Ohio State to serve in the military, he ended up coaching at Great Lakes Naval Station. The teams then played against many of the universities whose rosters had been depleted by the draft. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of the players playing for Iowa Pre-Flight during it's three years of existence were taken from the rosters of Big 10 teams.
    I thought it was related to WWII in some way. Army and Navy,especially Army, in the years before and just after WWII had powerhouse teams.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

Chip R (08-03-2016)

Is this out of 102?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

No. 81 Cincinnati, 41.
    (tie) Miami, Ohio., 41.

Eleven Warriors has been running a pretty fantastic series on the past 100 season of OSU football.

In 1942 OSU won it's first National Championship after defeating non other than Iowa Pre Flight in the last game of the season.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...ational-champs

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Eleven Warriors has been running a pretty fantastic series on the past 100 season of OSU football.

In 1942 OSU won it's first National Championship after defeating non other than Iowa Pre Flight in the last game of the season.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...ational-champs
    Big deal. IPF was only the 98th best program ever.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Big deal. IPF was only the 98th best program ever.
    Imagine how much higher they would have been had they won!

They played in 1943 too and Iowa Pre Flight killed OSU and ended the season ranked #2.

That 1942 game was also the last time OSU didn't play Michigan as the last game of the regular season, which is a fun trivia answer.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 08-04-2016 at 11:24 AM.

14. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    IIRC the last time OSU lost to another team from Ohio it was one of those military programs. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IIRC the last time OSU lost to another team from Ohio it was one of those military programs. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
    I'm like 99% sure the last time was in 1921 against Oberlin. They did lose games to those military programs, but I don't think any of them were based in Ohio.

17. Likes:

bucksfan2 (08-04-2016)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

(Warning, random commentary ahead)

The criteria, for those who didn't read the article:

For the first time since that first poll in 1936, the AP has compiled an all-time Top 100 based on a formula that counts poll appearances (one point) to mark consistency, No. 1 rankings (one bonus point) to acknowledge elite programs, and a bonus for AP championships won (10 points).
    The first eight schools contain no surprises, they're the storied old guard of college football. Then we get to the next batch of schools:

9. Florida State
    10. Florida
    13. Miami

Anyone under a certain age probably doesn't remember a time when the Sunshine State schools weren't part of the national discussion, but I'm old enough to remember when they were considered upstarts or underachievers. Safe to say that changed.

I was surprised seeing UCLA as high as #17. They haven't been on the radar much the last 15 years and generally are overlooked next to USC, but after checking the record, they had a lot of good teams.

Seeing Pittsburgh at #23 is a reminder of how good those 1970s and early 1980s teams were.

I thought BYU (#34) would be higher.

I thought Missouri (#35) would be lower.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

19. Likes:

BillDoran (08-04-2016),RedTeamGo! (08-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    (Warning, random commentary ahead)

The criteria, for those who didn't read the article:

The first eight schools contain no surprises, they're the storied old guard of college football. Then we get to the next batch of schools:

9. Florida State
    10. Florida
    13. Miami

Anyone under a certain age probably doesn't remember a time when the Sunshine State schools weren't part of the national discussion, but I'm old enough to remember when they were considered upstarts or underachievers. Safe to say that changed.

I was surprised seeing UCLA as high as #17. They haven't been on the radar much the last 15 years and generally are overlooked next to USC, but after checking the record, they had a lot of good teams.

Seeing Pittsburgh at #23 is a reminder of how good those 1970s and early 1980s teams were.

I thought BYU (#34) would be higher.

I thought Missouri (#35) would be lower.
    I was really surprised by the ranking of some teams on that list (Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Columbia, Northwestern) but then I figured it was out of 100 teams or so.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I see Louisville checks in at #62, one spot above a "storied" Kansas program. I'm guessing that in 1984 when Howard Schnellenberger stepped on campus Louisville would have been more like #162 on the list (out of 161 teams). Even when Bobby Petrino came for the first time in 2004, Louisville was probably very close to 100. It takes a long damn time to make serious headway when you're being judged over an 80 year horizon and fully 50 of those years were atrocious!

I thought it was related to WWII in some way. Army and Navy,especially Army, in the years before and just after WWII had powerhouse teams.
    Can't imagine Naval training in Iowa.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, congrats to The Ohio State University.

Is there a trophy?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?