Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: Here we go again...

Here is my idea for radical realignment for college sports:

A couple of months ago, John Calipari proposed a system of creating four unique superconferences. These conferences would basically break up some major conferences, namely the Big East and Big Twelve, and create a radical realignment. These conferences would ultimately play for a football playoff and all teams would be eligible for a basketball tournament.

I decided to create my own version of this and expand it even further. Basically, how to fix college sports, I've created four separate conferences:

Western Conference: Pac-12 teams, Big 12
    Northern Conference: Big Ten teams, Big East, as well as Iowa State
    Eastern Conference: ACC teams and remaining Big East
    Southern Conference: SEC teams, Houston, UCF, and Louisville

The Western Conference breaks down as follows:

Arizona
    Arizona State
    Baylor
    Boise State
    California
    Colorado
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Stanford
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech
    UCLA
    USC
    Utah
    Washington
    Washington State

Now to simplify it, each team will be in 4 divisions of 4-5 teams each. The winner of each conference would ultimately play in a playoff format in college football to determine a champion:

California division:
    California
    Stanford
    UCLA
    USC

Pacific Northwest division:
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Washington
    Washington State

Texas Division:
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech
    Baylor
    Utah

Desert Division:
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    Colorado
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State

Onto the Northern Conference:

Cincinnati
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Iowa State
    Marquette
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Nebraska
    Northwestern
    Notre Dame
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Pittsburgh
    Purdue
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin

Geographical breakdown:

Central Division:
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Northwestern
    Purdue
    Notre Dame
    Great Lakes Division:
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Marquette*

Northeastern Division:
    Penn State
    Pittsburgh
    West Virginia
    Cincinnati

Northern Division:
    Iowa
    Iowa State
    Ohio State
    Nebraska

Next up, the Eastern Conference:

Boston College
    Clemson
    Connecticut
    Duke
    Florida State
    Georgia Tech
    Maryland
    Miami
    UNC
    North Carolina State
    Providence
    Rutgers
    South Florida
    Syracuse
    Villanova
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest

Northeastern Division:
    Boston College
    Connecticut
    Syracuse
    Rutgers
    Providence

Carolina Division:
    Duke
    UNC
    North Carolina State
    Wake Forest
    Clemson

Southeastern Division:
    Florida State
    Georgia Tech
    Miami
    South Florida

Eastern Division:
    Maryland
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    Villanova

And last but not least, the Southern Conference:

Alabama
    Arkansas
    Auburn
    Central Florida
    Florida
    Georgia
    Houston
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Kentucky
    Louisville
    LSU
    Missouri
    Mississippi State
    Ole Miss
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt

Southern Division:
    Florida
    Georgia
    South Carolina
    UCF
    Houston

Central Division:
    LSU
    Mississippi State
    Ole Miss
    Alabama
    Auburn

Midwestern Division:
    Kentucky
    Louisville
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt

Kansas Division:
    Missouri
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Arkansas

Enjoy and pick apart as you please.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Strong rumors are that Texas A&M and Florida State are headed to the SEC.

It's time to set all the many pieces in motion. Here we go...

Assuming the rumors are true, here's my guesses as to how things will fall out (with a little homer optimism thrown in)...

- Texas goes independent
    - Oklahoma, Okie State, Texas Tech and Baylor all go west to the Pac-10/12/16
    - The B1G-10/12 makes the move to 16 and the Northeast by adding Syracuse, Pitt, UCONN and Rutgers
    - The ACC regains its 12th member by poaching West Virginia

This leaves UC, Louisville, TCU and South Florida to break from the catholic schools, join Mizzou, Kansas, K-State and Iowa State to get to eight. This new conference then adds anywhere from 2-4 CUSA or other mid majors to get to 10-12.

If the B1G-whatever does not decide to make the move to 16, then the Big East moves to 12 by adding the remaining B-XII schools.

The wild card in all of this is that the Big East turned down a contract that would pay the schools more money than what the ACC is getting (The Big East is about to get paid in a very big way). The ACC might not have a play to the Big East schools like they did in 2003 since they can't simply throw money at schools this time around.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-11-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    16 could happen, but 14 is more feasible, especially if you slide Alabama or Auburn to the SEC East:

SEC East:
    Alabama
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt

SEC West:
    Arkansas
    Auburn
    LSU
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    Oklahoma
    Texas A&M
    The SEC West needs a Vanderbilt-style punching bag. Bring Tulane home! We'll gladly take an 0-fer in SEC play to balance things out.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Strong rumors are that Texas A&M and Florida State are headed to the SEC.

It's time to set all the many pieces in motion. Here we go...

Assuming the rumors are true, here's my guesses as to how things will fall out (with a little homer optimism thrown in)...

- Texas goes independent
    - Oklahoma, Okie State, Texas Tech and Baylor all go west to the Pac-10/12/16
    - The B1G-10/12 makes the move to 16 and the Northeast by adding Syracuse, Pitt, UCONN and Rutgers
    - The ACC regains its 12th member by poaching West Virginia

This leaves UC, Louisville, TCU and South Florida to break from the catholic schools, join Mizzou, Kansas, K-State and Iowa State to get to eight. This new conference then adds anywhere from 2-4 CUSA or other mid majors to get to 10-12.

If the B1G-whatever does not decide to make the move to 16, then the Big East moves to 12 by adding the remaining B-XII schools.

The wild card in all of this is that the Big East turned down a contract that would pay the schools more money than what the ACC is getting (The Big East is about to get paid in a very big way). The ACC might not have a play to the Big East schools like they did in 2003 since they can't simply throw money at schools this time around.
    I am telling you the ONLY way the Big 10+many takes a Big East school is that it lands them Notre Dame. There is ZERO chance that the Big Infinity would take ANY of those schools if it weren't for Notre Dame. I've read the reports also about the TV deal. And I would talk with the Big 10 and Notre Dame and try to see if there be any way to get that done without having to poach schools because here is what I see.

Big East adds: Va Tech, BC, and Big 12 remaints (K State, Kansas).
    SEC adds: aTm and Clemson
    Pac adds: TT, Oklahoma, Ok St., and Baylor
    Big 10+ many adds: Notre Dame, Virginia, Missouri, and Ga Tech.
    ACC Tobacco Road+ a crap ton of garbage from CUSA, MWC, etc.
    Last edited by Slyder; 08-12-2011 at 01:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I am telling you the ONLY way the Big 10+many takes a Big East school is that it lands them Notre Dame. There is ZERO chance that the Big Infinity would take ANY of those schools if it weren't for Notre Dame. I've read the reports also about the TV deal. And I would talk with the Big 10 and Notre Dame and try to see if there be any way to get that done without having to poach schools because here is what I see.

Big 10+ many adds: Missouri, Virginia, Missouri, and Ga Tech.
    I don't see the Big East or Big 12 surviving. The Big East has been rumored to be poached forever and the Longhorn Network is going to be the downfall of the Big 12.

I think the SEC will add two more besides T A&M and FSU. I'm going to guess and say both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

If the Big East collapses, I'm more interested in where WVU ends up. Geographically the ACC makes the most sense and the potential is there for rivalries. I'd love to see WVU in the SEC but it doesn't make much geographic sense and they would be a second fiddle team like Georgia or Tennessee in football.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

the Longhorn Network is going to be the downfall of the Big 12.
    The NCAA's declaration that it can't carry high school sports took a bunch of the wind out of those sails, IMO.

I'm still not convinced that A&M is offended enough by the Long Horn Network (the acronym they're using at UT) to be willing to travel to other states for ALL of its conference schedule in every sport.

I could be wrong. We'll see on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

Big 10+ many adds: Notre Dame, Virginia, Missouri, and Ga Tech.
    I disagree. Mizzou all but begged the B1G-10 for an invite the last go around, and the B1G-10 wanted no part of them. Why would the B1G-10 go after them this time when they could have earlier and chose not to?

And besides, why would the B1G-10 choose to not enter the big east coast markets? Market share and cable subscribers is driving the boat. The Big East has schools in the biggest of the east coast markets, which is why NBC is about to throw all kinds of money at the conference. Big East schools are going to get a bigger check than ACC schools after this is all said and done. They're not nearly as vulnerable as they were in 2003, no matter how weak the rest of the country perceives them to be at football.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-12-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I disagree. Mizzou all but begged the B1G-10 for an invite the last go around, and the B1G-10 wanted no part of them. Why would the B1G-10 go after them this time when they could have earlier and chose not to?

And besides, why would the B1G-10 choose to not enter the big east coast markets? Market share and cable subscribers is driving the boat. The Big East has schools in the biggest of the east coast markets, which is why NBC is about to throw all kinds of money at the conference. Big East schools are going to get a bigger check than ACC schools after this is all said and done. They're not nearly as vulnerable as they were in 2003, no matter how weak the rest of the country perceives them to be at football.
    Notre Dame adds more to the tv sets alone than what the entire big east minus MAYBE WVU (and I fully admit my bias might be blinding me) does by themselves in the northeast. They don't care about UConn, Syracuse, or any other of the schoools they want the gem that is the Fighting Leprechaun. If they have to take extra mouths to get it so be it but if they don't and still get ND they would take it to the bank. Notre Dame would add THAT much (and probably more) to any tv package for the B1g Many network.

Mizzou would be a kick back to Nebraska. I think in the case that they get Notre Dame without the extra mouths they reexamine Missouri. Until then I expect Missouri to land with the rest of the Big 12 remainants in the Big East. If they decide its not a fit with Missouri then I would fully expect Maryland (which is in DESPERATE financial straits to come willing to pay whatever price). The Dark Horse school for me would be if Vanderbilt is tired of being the Harvard of the SEC (little to no chance). In a prime TV area (in between Memphis and Nashville I believe) maybe they would have some more success facing schools with closer academic standards to their own? Unlikely I know but it's something I'd at least set feelers out for.

Although if aTm, OK, and Ok Jr. Leave could the rest of the schools vote to kick out Texas and then just invite the football Big East Schools and thus "save" the BcS and conference per say? I ask because there are rumors that the SEC is suppose to be discussing/voting Monday on expansion and discussing aTm, Oklahoma and Oklahoma Jr (Ok St), Virginia Tech, and/or Florida State (at least thats the rumor I heard).
    Last edited by Slyder; 08-12-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

If the Big Ten is going after markets, I'd go after Virginia and Maryland. That gets you the DC market pretty much locked up.

While Notre Dame is always mentioned, I really thing they'd be a bad fit except for football. Of course Football is the only thing that matters so I'm sure they'll move if the Big 10 moves to 16.

I think the other spot could be Missouri, Rutgers, Va. Tech, or any one else.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 08-13-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

A point I've seen from a lot of writers on twitter, It's remarkable that the entire landscape of college athletics is changing because of a school that hasn't won a bowl game in a decade and hasn't won it's conference since 1993. (I assume it was ineligible to win it in 1994.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    A point I've seen from a lot of writers on twitter, It's remarkable that the entire landscape of college athletics is changing because of a school that hasn't won a bowl game in a decade and hasn't won it's conference since 1993. (I assume it was ineligible to win it in 1994.)
    Meh, it just shows that dollars are driving the bus not W/L records.

I wanted to expand on the reasoning behind big 10 and Notre Dame.

Notre Dame as everyone knows is a member of the Big East in every other sport besides football. The Big 10 thinks that by destabilizing the Big East as a viable option for their non-revenue sports then Notre Dame's hand would be forced to join another conference. Notre Dame is unlikely to find another conference willing to let their football remain independent and be viable for their other sports and thus the choice at that time is join the MAC (or some other mid major conference) or join the big 10 in all sports.

William Arthur Ward

I don't see the Big East or Big 12 surviving. The Big East has been rumored to be poached forever and the Longhorn Network is going to be the downfall of the Big 12.

I think the SEC will add two more besides T A&M and FSU. I'm going to guess and say both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

If the Big East collapses, I'm more interested in where WVU ends up. Geographically the ACC makes the most sense and the potential is there for rivalries. I'd love to see WVU in the SEC but it doesn't make much geographic sense and they would be a second fiddle team like Georgia or Tennessee in football.
    The Big East still has one really really key trump card they can pull out if they need to. They're the last of the major conferences to renegotiate a tv deal. If the rumors are true (plus if the ACC losses one of or some combination of Va Tech, Clemson, Florida State, etc.) then the Big East deal is going to put the ACC to SHAME (some rumors are the Big East already walked out on a 15 mil per school per year deal with ESPN).

FYI the new ACC tv deal pays ~$13 mil per year per school average.

Here's the deal according to news networks.
    http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/17/re...sion-contract/

William Arthur Ward

Texas has completely overplayed its hand. There simply isn't enough programming for its own network. If Texas goes independent, it kills every other sport in the program other than football, and I think football would take a hit as well.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The SEC West needs a Vanderbilt-style punching bag. Bring Tulane home! We'll gladly take an 0-fer in SEC play to balance things out.
    Petrino will flee Arkansas soon enough and Miss State is only decent once every ten years. Seriously - you get cokes in their stadium from two liter bottles. No drink machines. Vandy's weaker than both of the aforementioned but MSU, Arky and Ole Miss's combined mediocrity makes up for it.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?