Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Missouri in the SEC would be a tremendous disappointment.

That's expansion for expansions sake.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 10-18-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

It's why I believe ESPN is behind most of this. They're trying to pedal off an inferior product (Missery) on CBS while they try and horde the ones that actually draw for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    It's why I believe ESPN is behind most of this. They're trying to pedal off an inferior product (Missery) on CBS while they try and horde the ones that actually draw for themselves.
    Sure, CBS still has the #1 SEC game of the week. But you realize that ESPN is in the middle of paying $2 billion to the SEC for broadcast rights. If anything, this means Missouri will actually be on ESPN more.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

One thing we've learned from this is to never put a number in a conference name. Or a location.

Just curious, but does anyone think Pitino shooting his mouth off cost Louisville into getting into the Big 12? I read where Big 12 officials are stressing unity and with Pitino making some very divisive comments and WVU being a worse fit geographically if it had any bearing.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    One thing we've learned from this is to never put a number in a conference name. Or a location.
    When you have to resort to naming your divisions leaders and legends, you've already jumped the shark IMHO.

Given some of the nonsensical geographical atrocities that seem to be about to happen, maybe conferences should be named after famous clowns.

The draw of college football to me is the tradition and a huge part of that is the rivalries many of which are primarily driven by geography.

How the heck does the NCAA sell Boise St vs Rutgers? This realignment stuff is really making it very hard for me to pretend that college football really is still more pagentry than paycheck.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Time to raise this thread back up. Greg Swaim has spoken to "contacts" that the Big 12 has had conversations with Florida State, Clemson, BYU, and Louisville to get to 14. I don't know how true this is but I must admit short of ND joining this is probably the BEST case to get to 14. And what a way to go from the brink of extinction to competing for the BEST football in the nation!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Time to raise this thread back up. Greg Swaim has spoken to "contacts" that the Big 12 has had conversations with Florida State, Clemson, BYU, and Louisville to get to 14. I don't know how true this is but I must admit short of ND joining this is probably the BEST case to get to 14. And what a way to go from the brink of extinction to competing for the BEST football in the nation!
    Sometimes it's appropriate to take things with a grain of salt. Other times, it's appropriate to take things with a mountain of salt.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Last I checked there's still the enlarged buyout in place for F$U and Clemson to get out of the ACC.

If the scenario did happen (highly doubtful), then the Big 12 should look into a four pod system if they could add two more schools. I'll throw in Tulsa and Tulane although there are probably better options:

Big 12 East:
    WVU
    Clemson
    Florida State
    Louisville

Big 12 Central:
    Kansas
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Kansas State

Big 12 Texas:
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    TCU
    Baylor

Big 12 West:
    Tulane
    Tulsa
    BYU
    Iowa State

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

Since Slyder just brought this back up, curious if you're opinion has changed or not given the success in basketball. I am actually starting to warm up to Missouri.

Re: Here we go again...

The ACC remains solid at 14. But there have been hints that expansion to 16 could still be an option. Notre Dame and UConn remain the top options. Should Notre Dame make clear they would never join the ACC, then Uconn and Rutgers could be brought in at some point.

As of 10/5/11, The ACC is in waiting mode. The future of the Big East (should they lose schools to the Big 12, or TCU to MWC) will dictate the future of Notre Dame. With today’s announcement that Notre Dame will join Hockey East, it does add some speculation that if the Big East were to fall and Notre Dame were to join an all-sports conference, that the ACC could be the pick over the Big Ten. It is believed that if the ACC can get Notre Dame, they would bring in UConn for the #16 school, putting the final blow to the Big East with the ACC fully taking over the northeast region.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Since Slyder just brought this back up, curious if you're opinion has changed or not given the success in basketball. I am actually starting to warm up to Missouri.
    Nope, Missouri is still a pro sports state, and is still neither in the south or the east.

I still believe that if the Big10+2 expands again they will call Missouri who will immediately bolt.
    Go Gators!

Memphis joins the Big East. I have heard both 2012 and 2013 for them. It is believed by some they will make the jump in 12 to replace WVU when an agreement is announced. I still think there is a good low risk/high reward program in CUSA that is actually in an area to GROW rather than just increase the number of people who dont care about them. Thats ECU.

William Arthur Ward

http://www.dailymail.com/News/breakingnews/201202090205

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia University and the Big East Conference have reached a conditional agreement to settle their legal battles against one another, a source told the Charleston Daily Mail Thursday evening.

A formal announcement could be made as early as Friday. That is also when the Big 12 is set to release its 2012 conference football schedule, media outlets reported Thursday.
    Have fun on the Island.

Turn Off Ads?