Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Looks like the MWC is trying to convince TCU to stay. They might be better off doing so now.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's an interesting way of looking at college football realignment.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ignment-chaos/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

That's an interesting attempt at quantifying things, and I usually like Nate Silver's work. But some of the actual results strain credulity, particularly after it gets past the SEC and Big Ten.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

In the midst of all this realingment, I found an article in the Atlantic Monthly about how the writer feels that the NCAA should disband since it is no longer serving its purpose due to the scandals. It's a long read so be prepared.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...e-sports/8643/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    In the midst of all this realingment, I found an article in the Atlantic Monthly about how the writer feels that the NCAA should disband since it is no longer serving its purpose due to the scandals. It's a long read so be prepared.

I saw that last week. Great read.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Very interesting read, but I don't agree. 90% of the news is 10% of the problems. When we say "college athletics" most people think college football and men's college basketball. You have to remember college athletics includes the softball team, the cross country team, the tennis team, etc. I still think college athletics are extremely beneficial as an educational experience for the athletes athletes and a community experience for the universities. What about the great things going on in college sports? When do we ever hear about those?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Very interesting read, but I don't agree. 90% of the news is 10% of the problems. When we say "college athletics" most people think college football and men's college basketball. You have to remember college athletics includes the softball team, the cross country team, the tennis team, etc. I still think college athletics are extremely beneficial as an educational experience for the athletes athletes and a community experience for the universities. What about the great things going on in college sports? When do we ever hear about those?
    Honestly? Because other than the parents of those people involved, no one cares. If people cared, they'd be monetized and become part of the problem.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Word swirling around twitterverse, apparently started by a source at BearcatLair, that WVU's inquiries have been rejected by the SEC.
    I've heard that WVU has been turned own by both the SEC and the ACC. Also Mizzou has an offer to the SEC.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-20-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Seems to me, Missouri is waiting and hoping for a Big10 invite, failing that they can support Oklahoma in keeping the big12 together or go to the SEC.

WVU is the backup plan for the SEC.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've heard that WVU has been turned own by both the SEC and the ACC. Also Mizzou has an offer to the SEC.
    SEC came out and said no offer has been given to anyone but Texas A&M. They did not say "No" they said "Not now" just like they did back in August with A&M. At this point I don't care what the blue bloods from the east say they're garbage to me and regardless of how this goes I don't want another thing to do with that bunch of filth (Not Pitt, Not Maryland, Not Cuse, not ANY of them). If WVU is forced to join because its the only option I might have to turn to some combination of Marshall, ECU, USF, Louisville regional games for my football fix because I will not subject myself to the North Carolina Mafia garbage football style.

Missouri tried to float out there they had an invite in hopes that it would stir the big 10 (which is where they want to go). So far hasn't worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I'm starting to get the idea that there's less than meets the eye to most of the invites/applications/rejections. I think the next step may be for the SEC to add one team (Missouri maybe, maybe not) and then more dominoes will fall. Not the time for WVU to panic yet.

Honestly, even if they do end up in some Frankenstein's conference made from the leftovers, it's not the end of the world. Sometimes (and this may be a good reminder) it's good to remember that the main focus of a school should be academics. Still looking at doctoral programs now, and the three schools I'm focusing on are WVU and two SEC schools. Gotta say I'm not all that focused on how the football stuff falls together at the moment. Interested, but not focused.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    SEC came out and said no offer has been given to anyone but Texas A&M. They did not say "No" they said "Not now" just like they did back in August with A&M. At this point I don't care what the blue bloods from the east say they're garbage to me and regardless of how this goes I don't want another thing to do with that bunch of filth (Not Pitt, Not Maryland, Not Cuse, not ANY of them). If WVU is forced to join because its the only option I might have to turn to some combination of Marshall, ECU, USF, Louisville regional games for my football fix because I will not subject myself to the North Carolina Mafia garbage football style.

Missouri tried to float out there they had an invite in hopes that it would stir the big 10 (which is where they want to go). So far hasn't worked.
    This.

If Missouri ends up being no 14, then I think WVU will be 15 or 16 once the conference expands again. I see the SEC going to 16 teams and WVU will be a part of it because there really won't be many other options.

F$U, Georgia Tech, and Clemson face enormous buyouts and are already in states that have a SEC school. Louisville doesn't have the buyout but UK will fight it and if rumors are true, UK is part of the agreement with South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida to keep schools from their own states out of the conference.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I'm starting to get the idea that there's less than meets the eye to most of the invites/applications/rejections. I think the next step may be for the SEC to add one team (Missouri maybe, maybe not) and then more dominoes will fall. Not the time for WVU to panic yet.

Honestly, even if they do end up in some Frankenstein's conference made from the leftovers, it's not the end of the world. Sometimes (and this may be a good reminder) it's good to remember that the main focus of a school should be academics. Still looking at doctoral programs now, and the three schools I'm focusing on are WVU and two SEC schools. Gotta say I'm not all that focused on how the football stuff falls together at the moment. Interested, but not focused.
    The Academic side got thrown in the gutter a LONG time ago.Its a convenient excuse for people.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Something that does concern me with Missouri to the SEC and the only person I know who could possibly weigh in would be MikeTheirry or any other Cardinal fan on here:

The biggest draw for the SEC is the media market in St Louis and Kansas City, but from some of what I've read, pro sports (Cardinals, Rams, Blues, Chiefs) dominate in Missouri. With WVU you wouldn't have to worry about fan support as WVU would pack Mountaineer Field (especially a SEC team). I just wonder how well it would work in Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Something that does concern me with Missouri to the SEC and the only person I know who could possibly weigh in would be MikeTheirry or any other Cardinal fan on here:

The biggest draw for the SEC is the media market in St Louis and Kansas City, but from some of what I've read, pro sports (Cardinals, Rams, Blues, Chiefs) dominate in Missouri. With WVU you wouldn't have to worry about fan support as WVU would pack Mountaineer Field (especially a SEC team). I just wonder how well it would work in Columbia.
    I was just talking with a friend and Missouri seems to go against about EVERYTHING the SEC has built. 1) SEC brand is what it puts on the field (when was the last time Missouri was relevant in football longer than a blink of the eye). 2) SEC doesn't really have markets. 3) Its more about the experience and the tradition AT the game rather than just watching it on tv.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?