Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    None of the Big East basketball coaches like what is happening. Boeheim and Dixon do not like the moves to the ACC, and Pitino isn't going to like a potential move to the Big 12. The simple fact is the Big East ruled the roost in hoops, and other conferences knew it (and didn't like it). They have a huge national television presence, the best conference tournament venue/location in MSG and it was the deepest and most talented hoops conference in the country. The recruiting advantages were immense due to all those factors working together.
    Unfortunately none of that matters because basketball doesn't make the money that football does for the schools, conferences or TV networks.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    The definition of vagabonds. Left the Mountain West via the Big East to the Big 12. Where will they go after the Big 12 disolves?
    Really I thought the SEC would pursue them. Dallas is a huge market to be in and they would compliment Tex A&M pretty well.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The definition of vagabonds. Left the Mountain West via the Big East to the Big 12. Where will they go after the Big 12 disolves?
    Really I thought the SEC would pursue them. Dallas is a huge market to be in and they would compliment Tex A&M pretty well.
    If Missouri says no and they don't have a 16th team already lined up they still might.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    ACC thinks Notre Dame and Penn State are options. Its why they haven't gone and brought Rutgers and UConn into the fold and delivered the final blow to the big east. Notre Dame is who the Big 10 is waiting for, death of the big east in football would destabilize ND's olympic sports and may force them to leave independence behind. When that happens the ACC or Big 10 will expand to 16.
    Could be, but I still don't see it, 16 teams is a logistical nightmare for all sports and most AD's know it, the big10 is likely waiting on ND but 3 more? at this point there are simply not enough teams to pull it off, the ACC might go there and it will blow up in their face, but TCU in the SEC? they will go with 13 first.

The only way I see 16 team conferences becoming an across the board thing is if the NCAA plans playoffs, which of course will never happen.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    And that's barely half of their moves in the past 15 years or so. They've also been in (at least) the SWAC and WAC since the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    And that's barely half of their moves in the past 15 years or so. They've also been in (at least) the SWAC and WAC since the mid-90s.
    They spent a few seasons in C-USA too.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    They spent a few seasons in C-USA too.
    They move around more than Matt Stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    They move around more than Matt Stairs.
    Some days I miss the rep system.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

We are all going to have to buy guides to find out what schools play in what conference.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I admit it -- there was about a 15 second window where I allowed myself to dream, and then reality came back and I remembered that I went to a school that's 17th banana in the athletics world. But, this was so cool to read today:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...en-invite-most
    There were a number of top candidates, the source said, including BYU, Louisville, West Virginia, TCU and previously unmentioned Tulane, of Conference USA. The source said the Big 12 has been contacted by a number of other schools about possible inclusion, as well.

On Thursday, the Big 12 invited TCU, which was supposed to begin membership in the Big East in 2012-13. The TCU board of trustees was scheduled to meet later in the day to discuss the invitation.

The source said that Tulane would become a viable option for the Big 12 if it were to grab four schools to beef up the membership to 12, in a situation where BYU decides it doesn't want to leave its football independence or its new tie to the WCC in all other sports. Tulane is interesting to the Big 12 because of its location in New Orleans and in a state, Louisiana, where the Big 12 is absent, as well as the school's renewed commitment to sports and facilities after Hurricane Katrina.
    Roll Wave.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I admit it -- there was about a 15 second window where I allowed myself to dream, and then reality came back and I remembered that I went to a school that's 17th banana in the athletics world. But, this was so cool to read today:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...en-invite-most

Roll Wave.
    As a fellow alum I can, with all honesty, say dream on! They need a new coach and a better recruiting network before any big conference takes us.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    As a fellow alum I can, with all honesty, say dream on! They need a new coach and a better recruiting network before any big conference takes us.
    Geographically, they make more sense than WVU or Louisville, who are the other teams being rumored.

Do you think the other Big 12 teams would rather travel to New Orleans, Louisville, or Morgantown? Not to mention with media market New Orleans is a better fit. Tulane is a wildcard, but one that could work.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This isn't asked out of meanness... Is there any conference that really wants WVU outside of the big east who must be desparate to keep them?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This isn't asked out of meanness... Is there any conference that really wants WVU outside of the big east who must be desparate to keep them?
    The SEC possibly IF they expand to 16. They don't culturally fit the ACC and academically horrid to be considered for the Big 10.

The reason though is I don't see any other possibility for the SEC:

Teams that likely will be blocked by other members:
    Florida State (ACC)
    Georgia Tech (ACC)
    Clemson (ACC)
    Louisville (Big East)

Team that makes sense but sold its soul (as Slyder put it) and even then has to deal with a 20 million buyout:

Virginia Tech (ACC)

Which leaves WVU, Cincinnati, and South Florida being the teams making the most geographical sense. UC borders on Kentucky, among other issues. South Florida would be interesting as it would bring Miami, but would UF vote for it?

That leaves WVU who would likely be no 15. The SEC could stay at 15 and go with a 3 pod system as Slyder mentioned, but if they go 16, another wildcard I would throw out is NC State. It would put the SEC into North Carolina and tap into the Raleigh-Durham/Charlotte market. NC State is the redheaded stepchild of the Carolina schools, but it would likely take convincing to get them to leave. It would give them a solid rivalry with South Carolina as well.

Of course, you have to hope they would bite and the exit fee comes up again. Once past WVU, its a guessing game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?