Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 671

Thread: College Football Realignment

  1. #316
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,188

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Air Force Academy may get a football only invite from the Big East.

    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...joins-big-east
    Boise getting one too makes sense for a desperate league trying to save itself. Maybe the next "phase" of expansion will be sort of these super conferences for just the money making sports (some men/women's basketball and football) and the rest of the sports are more localized.

    *EDIT*
    Only reports out of the Big East Teleconference seems to be that the league okay a committee to look into getting the football side to 12.

    Early Reports are (in no particular order):
    ECU
    UCF
    Houston
    Boise (football only)
    Academies (football only)
    Villanova (again)
    Temple

    are the "favorites" if thats the list and this were 2 or 3 years ago my order would have been:
    ECU (most potential to become a WVU-lite, very rabid fan base with room to grow)
    Houston
    UCF
    Then after that pull from a hat.
    Last edited by Slyder; 10-10-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #317
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I would much rather see WVU end up in the Big 12.
    Not me.

    1. Geographically its a nightmare on both angles. WVU fans would have to travel every other year to Texas or Oklahoma for football games. WVU fans are very loyal and will travel, but asking them to fly to any of those destinations would be a bit much. On the flip side, opposing schools would be traveling to Pittsburgh and driving in to Morgantown, which isn't really a pleasant drive.

    2. The Big 12 is going to basically be a somewhat better version of the Big East (especially with what is rumored). With the bowl bids being rumored to be going away from automatic bids, its going to make it very difficult fighting with the Big 10 and SEC for a BCS bid, especially if Texas and Oklahoma eventually bolt for the Pac 12.

    3. Back to geography, football is a revenue generating sport so traveling isn't a problem for the team. What happens with lacrosse, softball, or any other non-revenue sport?

    If WVU goes to the Big 12, it should be for football only, or a pod system where Louisville, South Florida, and Cincinnati are also invited. Otherwise the SEC makes a lot more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  4. #318
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: College Football Realignment

    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...otball-schools

    If the Big East adds Boise, they seriously need to rename the conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  5. #319
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,927

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...otball-schools

    If the Big East adds Boise, they seriously need to rename the conference.
    The Really Really Big East?
    Hey, if the Big Ten can have 12 teams and the Big 12 can have 10 teams, the Southeastern Conference can include Texas A&M, and Colorado can play in the Pac 12 even though its campus is more than 1000 miles form the Pacific Ocean, why not have Boise State in the Big East?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  6. #320
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,188

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The Really Really Big East?
    Hey, if the Big Ten can have 12 teams and the Big 12 can have 10 teams, the Southeastern Conference can include Texas A&M, and Colorado can play in the Pac 12 even though its campus is more than 1000 miles form the Pacific Ocean, why not have Boise State in the Big East?
    Is Boise East of the Rockies? In which case just move the name around and call it the East of the Rockies Big?

    And I agree the names have long sense lost its meaning, they're about recognition and branding more than anything else now. Not to mention the Pac abandoned the Pacific nature in the late 70s when they invited Arizona and Arizona State.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  7. #321
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,188

    Re: College Football Realignment

    ESPN really needs to be drug into Congress about trying to strong arm football in a means that they want. They are trying to create a monopoly.

    Recent News:
    BC Pres DiFilipo "ESPN told us to take Pitt and Syracuse".
    Trying like hell to force Missouri on ESPN. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...enue-advantage
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  8. #322
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,135

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Is Boise East of the Rockies? In which case just move the name around and call it the East of the Rockies Big?

    And I agree the names have long sense lost its meaning, they're about recognition and branding more than anything else now. Not to mention the Pac abandoned the Pacific nature in the late 70s when they invited Arizona and Arizona State.
    Boise to the big east makes zero sense but then again TCU didn't make any sense either. Do we really want to see Boise vs Rutgers (and that would be a marquee matchup in the rumored new Big east...)
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #323
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,742

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Boise to the big east makes zero sense but then again TCU didn't make any sense either. Do we really want to see Boise vs Rutgers (and that would be a marquee matchup in the rumored new Big east...)
    I'd rather see that than Central Florida vs. Anyone.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  10. #324
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Not me.

    1. Geographically its a nightmare on both angles. WVU fans would have to travel every other year to Texas or Oklahoma for football games. WVU fans are very loyal and will travel, but asking them to fly to any of those destinations would be a bit much. On the flip side, opposing schools would be traveling to Pittsburgh and driving in to Morgantown, which isn't really a pleasant drive.

    2. The Big 12 is going to basically be a somewhat better version of the Big East (especially with what is rumored). With the bowl bids being rumored to be going away from automatic bids, its going to make it very difficult fighting with the Big 10 and SEC for a BCS bid, especially if Texas and Oklahoma eventually bolt for the Pac 12.

    3. Back to geography, football is a revenue generating sport so traveling isn't a problem for the team. What happens with lacrosse, softball, or any other non-revenue sport?

    If WVU goes to the Big 12, it should be for football only, or a pod system where Louisville, South Florida, and Cincinnati are also invited. Otherwise the SEC makes a lot more sense.
    Hey, it's a fun drive! Okay, so it takes forever, and on my return drive from Texas last year (it had nothing to do with football) I got lost on a dirt road in Arkansas at night with my gas tank on empty (stupid GPS!) then, when I found the right road, ended up peeling out of a truck stop after arguing with an unhelpful clerk in the presence of a large group of her trucker friends....

    okay, so next time I might decide to go to Austin via Omaha.

  11. #325
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    A friend of mine was at the WVU game on Saturday and the rumor throughout the stadium was that there were people dressed up wearing SEC pins. Take it for what its worth.
    .
    But Halloween's not for 20 days. And what a strange costume.

    I mean an SEC rep maybe, but an SEC pin, that's just too esoteric for me.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  12. #326
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Do we really want to see Boise vs Rutgers (\
    Sure. Why not?

  13. #327
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    But Halloween's not for 20 days. And what a strange costume.

    I mean an SEC rep maybe, but an SEC pin, that's just too esoteric for me.
    He meant SEC reps were there. I'm guessing you are joking.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  14. #328
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,188

    Re: College Football Realignment

    From the Throw Crap at the wall and see if it sticks category of Tweets...

    SECNews247 SEC News 24/7
    It has been floating around, but I don't see # UK to # ACC.If true WVU & Mizzou fans better pack their bags b/c SEC would need bball schools

    IMO, The day that happens pigs will fly, apes will rule the world, Ann Coulter will have an affair with Harry Reid. George, Abraham, Franklin, John, Teddy, and Ron will rise up from the dead to kick ass and take names in DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  15. #329
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,206

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    He meant SEC reps were there. I'm guessing you are joking.
    I was. Meant to put a smiley in.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  16. #330
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    From the Throw Crap at the wall and see if it sticks category of Tweets...

    SECNews247 SEC News 24/7
    It has been floating around, but I don't see # UK to # ACC.If true WVU & Mizzou fans better pack their bags b/c SEC would need bball schools

    IMO, The day that happens pigs will fly, apes will rule the world, Ann Coulter will have an affair with Harry Reid. George, Abraham, Franklin, John, Teddy, and Ron will rise up from the dead to kick ass and take names in DC.
    Add in the Reds will move to the American League before that happens.

    As much as I see the logic behind it (basketball first league with bluebloods of college basketball and weak enough to compete in football), there are so many reasons it would NEVER happen:

    1. We're culturally not ACC material for the same reasons as WVU. A state dominated by "rednecks and hillbillies" in a wine and cheese league. I also don't see UK being bullied by the Carolina schools either.

    2. UK is a founding member of the SEC and would likely only look to leave if the conference were to collapse (not happening)

    3. The revenue sharing and conference deal with ESPN makes it highly unlikely ANY SEC team leaves for another conference. If anybody would have made the jump, it would have been Arkansas to the Big 12.

    4. The ACC holds their conference tournament in Greensboro and is expected to add NYC to appease Syracuse and Pitt for joining. I don't see Atlanta being added anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25