Ga tech
    Miami is the consolation prize.

Big 12 if forced keys in on:
    Fla St
    Clemson
    Ga Tech/ Va Tech
    Louisville
    NC State

SEC is who I want to see and may dictate to the rest.
    I'd think getting into the state of Florida would be huge for the B1G.

It does seem as though we're going towards 4 super conferences with the ACC and the Big East left in the wasteland

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College Football Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

It does seem as though we're going towards 4 super conferences with the ACC and the Big East left in the wasteland
    I think that's absolutely right. If you believe in a future sixteen team playoff, four conferences of 16 makes all the sense in the world. The ACC is in a fight for its life right now.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

What would getting into Florida get the B1G? I would imagine that Maryland has a nice Academic University, but its athletic department has been in the tank since Gary Williams left. Their football program stinks, the only thing they really bring is the market, DC, Baltimore, and maybe some of Northern Virginia.

To be honest I was very much in favor of the Nebraska move. It brought a football "program" with a rich history and a very nice fan base. It may not have brought any major markets into the picture but it did add a 12th team for a title game. I think you also have to look at the PSU addition of years ago, big time program. Maryland and Rutgers do nothing for me, absolutely nothing. Both are blah programs who don't really do much if anything to the competitive atmosphere.

Aside from the markets and cable rights increase these 2 programs bring, it also sets up the dominoes for future expansion to 16.

Rumors of FSU to the B12 have been rampant for some time. This gives them more incentive to move on as Maryland will set the market place for buyouts. FSU may potentially take Clemson along with them, further weakening the ACC brand. That then gives VTech an easier path to leave for the SEC, something both sides would favor, which then opens things back up for the B10 to pick up Virginia, UNC or GTech to extend their reach along the eastern seaboard.

If all that happens, its hard to feel bad for the ACC who did all they could to kill off the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What would getting into Florida get the B1G? I would imagine that Maryland has a nice Academic University, but its athletic department has been in the tank since Gary Williams left. Their football program stinks, the only thing they really bring is the market, DC, Baltimore, and maybe some of Northern Virginia.

To be honest I was very much in favor of the Nebraska move. It brought a football "program" with a rich history and a very nice fan base. It may not have brought any major markets into the picture but it did add a 12th team for a title game. I think you also have to look at the PSU addition of years ago, big time program. Maryland and Rutgers do nothing for me, absolutely nothing. Both are blah programs who don't really do much if anything to the competitive atmosphere.
    I think this is more about money than athletic competition and the Florida media market would be huge for the Big Ten Network. Markets, not athletics drove the Maryland/Rutgers deals. You just have to hope the athletics will catchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Nor do they have any financial inventive to. Their TV deal (along with the B12's TV deal) doesn't expand if they add new teams -- it merely increases the number of mouths that need to be fed and shrinks the revenue pool for existing schools.
    I heard the opposite about big 12 deal. I heard that the networks say it depended on who more so than ACC style adding for the sake of adding (why Louisville isn't in already).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I think your frustration is valid. It just doesn't matter. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

This isn't about the fans and it isn't about athletic programs.

It's about how many eyeballs and what sort of a marketshare your school can bring to the table. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    This isn't about the fans and it isn't about athletic programs.

It's about how many eyeballs and what sort of a marketshare your school can bring to the table. Period.
    The worst part is the least important piece in the whole thing is now the student-athlete. They've become last on the totem pole...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The worst part is the least important piece in the whole thing is now the student-athlete. They've become last on the totem pole...
    And yet, if more money comes into the athletic programs, they can potentially give out more scholarships. So, in a way it does benefit some student athletes.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post

I don't think that's a new phenomenon but I agree it's what makes this stink the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    And yet, if more money comes into the athletic programs, they can potentially give out more scholarships. So, in a way it does benefit some student athletes.
    That would be nice in an ideal world. In reality, all the money will go towards renovating football stadiums..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I think this is more about money than athletic competition and the Florida media market would be huge for the Big Ten Network. Markets, not athletics drove the Maryland/Rutgers deals. You just have to hope the athletics will catchup.
    What market would Florida bring that the BTN doesn't already have? I was down in Naples, FL a number of years ago and OSU was playing a cupcake game that wasn't televised in Cincy. I was surprised to find out that in my grandparents condo the OSU game was televised.

Maryland brings DC, Rutgers could potentially bring NYC, FSU would bring what market? With all the northern transplants currently in Florida I don't think a Florida team will bring the BTN anything it doesn't already have.

Does anyone else feel like Rutgers has revolutionized the WTH moment? First Schiano lands an NFL gig, then Rutgers lands an invitation to the B1G.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--...-19541709.html

Location, location, location. That's what this latest round of conference realignment is about.

Two largely underachieving, financially irresponsible athletic programs are parlaying their geographic proximity to major metropolitan areas into membership in the Big Ten. They've done very little on the field of competition to deserve it. But that's not what drives conference affiliation these days.

College Sports, Inc., is no meritocracy.

Turn Off Ads?