Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

If the SEC were to expand, and I could have my druthers, I think I would take UVA and Oklahoma.

Virginia Tech would work in place of UVA, but I think UVA is more attractive overall.

Two states where the SEC has no footprint and would bring added regional interest as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If nothing else this re-alignment fiasco has blown up the fracical notion that big time college athletics is anything other than an enterprise driven by the maximization of profit, which should hopefully pave the way to allow the athletes responsible for this profit to get a piece of the pie.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What market would Florida bring that the BTN doesn't already have? I was down in Naples, FL a number of years ago and OSU was playing a cupcake game that wasn't televised in Cincy. I was surprised to find out that in my grandparents condo the OSU game was televised.

Maryland brings DC, Rutgers could potentially bring NYC, FSU would bring what market? With all the northern transplants currently in Florida I don't think a Florida team will bring the BTN anything it doesn't already have.
    There's having and then there's having. Remember that the BTN revenue model is based on subscribers, not viewers, and the per-subscriber rate in the conference's so-called home territory is far higher than it is outside the territory, e.g. Florida. That's the impetus behind adding home-state territory in sizable markets. Not that I think FSU is on the B1G's radar, mind you.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I guess UNC but I can't imagine them swallowing their pride enough to join the SEC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/marylan...15--ncaaf.html

Maryland leaving ACC to join Big Ten in 2014

The ACC could now be in the market for another member and it would not be surprising if it looks to the Big East, yet again. Connecticut would seem a perfect fit after Pitt and Syracuse join next season

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/marylan...15--ncaaf.html

Maryland leaving ACC to join Big Ten in 2014

The ACC could now be in the market for another member and it would not be surprising if it looks to the Big East, yet again. Connecticut would seem a perfect fit after Pitt and Syracuse join next season
    I guess it's a sign of the times that I laughed at how late this post is. I suppose this is why the 6:00 news is irrelevant now.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I guess UNC but I can't imagine them swallowing their pride enough to join the SEC.
    That are latched to Duke, and Duke is not coming into the SEC.

It will be NC State and Virginia Tech, that's if Virginia goes to the big10+4, poor Wake Forest will be left to die.
    Go Gators!

Hard not to see some of these TV deals as being a bubble that will burst at some point.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Hard not to see some of these TV deals as being a bubble that will burst at some point.
    It's the only television product that people can't/don't use the DVR to fast forward through commercials. Couple that with the fact that there are highly desirable demographics watching live sports, and you begin to understand why networks are willing to pay big money for this product. Is it a bubble? Maybe. Is there at least a plausible reason why these contracts are going through the stratosphere? Definitely.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

The best thing for UC is if any of the B1G, SEC or ACC make the move to 16 teams. The expansion list for the ACC is probably UCONN, UofL and UC (in that order). UCONN can pack their bags now. If the ACC moves to 16, add UofL and UC. If the other two leagues make the move to 16, they'll probably poach the ACC. When they do, UofL and UC backfill.

The really bad situation for UC is if the Big XII decides to make the move to 12. I see them going with UofL and BYU before UC.

If there's no more expansion, UC stays in the Big East. It's far from ideal, but at least we'd share the same bed as UofL.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-19-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I guess it's a sign of the times that I laughed at how late this post is. I suppose this is why the 6:00 news is irrelevant now.
    I was just posting that article to show the possible move for the ACC. I don't see the ACC falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The best thing for UC is if any of the B1G, SEC or ACC make the move to 16 teams. The expansion list for the ACC is probably UCONN, UofL and UC (in that order). UCONN can pack their bags now. If the ACC moves to 16, add UofL and UC. If the other two leagues make the move to 16, they'll probably poach the ACC. When they do, UofL and UC backfill.

The really bad situation for UC is if the Big XII decides to make the move to 12. I see them going with UofL and BYU before UC.

If there's no more expansion, UC stays in the Big East. It's far from ideal, but at least we'd share the same bed as UofL.
    I can see the BE Catholic schools splitting and taking the name; Boise St. and SDSU heading back west to something like the MWC; and, the remainder of UC, Louisville, Memphis, Temple, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU and others forming something like a revived Metro Conference. Best hope for UC is that when the B12 or ACC gets that expansion itch, UC is part of the scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I can see the BE Catholic schools splitting and taking the name; Boise St. and SDSU heading back west to something like the MWC; and, the remainder of UC, Louisville, Memphis, Temple, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU and others forming something like a revived Metro Conference. Best hope for UC is that when the B12 or ACC gets that expansion itch, UC is part of the scratch.
    Between your post and mine was the word that the western teams began talks with the MWC. I can't say I blame them for keeping their options open.

Things move quickly, so it would seem.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Between your post and mine was the word that the western teams began talks with the MWC. I can't say I blame them for keeping their options open.

Things move quickly, so it would seem.
    I'd bet the Catholic b-ball schools are next. At that point, where's the leverage for a big tv deal? Might as well pick up the pieces and go back to something akin to the original CUSA and/or Metro that makes sense geographically.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I'd bet the Catholic b-ball schools are next. At that point, where's the leverage for a big tv deal? Might as well pick up the pieces and go back to something akin to the original CUSA and/or Metro that makes sense geographically.
    I keep thinking that the basketball-only Big East schools will combine forces with the A-10. Not sure how it would exactly look, but I think that's probably their best bet.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?