Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

First time I've seen UC listed as a possible ACC candidate ...

Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerCBS
    ACC in talks with UConn, Louisville, South Florida and Cincinnati about 14th team to replace Maryland, source told @CBSSports.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    First time I've seen UC listed as a possible ACC candidate ...
    Maybe going to 16 eating the loss of revenue to bring in someone with ANY football credentials?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    This is why we pay you the big bucks.
    My check must have gotten lost in the mail

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    If the SEC were to expand, and I could have my druthers, I think I would take UVA and Oklahoma.

Virginia Tech would work in place of UVA, but I think UVA is more attractive overall.

Two states where the SEC has no footprint and would bring added regional interest as well.

Virginia's a good target and an interesting case. They worked for years to bring Va Tech into the ACC. So I can't imagine they'd be real proactive in looking for a new conference unless they could bring Tech along. However if Tech hopped up and left (for the B1G 12 or the SEC). They're as good of a fit in the B1G Ten as there is.

Oklahoma would love to go to the SEC, but I think they're required(by the legislature) to bring Ok State along.

That's what's held Kansas back from being considered if I recall correctly(they'd be required to bring KState along.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Virginia's a good target and an interesting case. They worked for years to bring Va Tech into the ACC. So I can't imagine they'd be real proactive in looking for a new conference unless they could bring Tech along. However if Tech hopped up and left (for the B1G 12 or the SEC). They're as good of a fit in the B1G Ten as there is.

Oklahoma would love to go to the SEC, but I think they're required(by the legislature) to bring Ok State along.

That's what's held Kansas back from being considered if I recall correctly(they'd be required to bring KState along.)
    No Big XII school is going anywhere unless they can negoriate out of their Grant of Rights with the conference. They may add teams but they won't lose any.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    and only a handful of teams since...
    Did you like how I didn't mention that part? I read a little on Rutgers history here (http://scarletknights.com/football/history/history.asp) and found a line that I just loved.

The eight wins of 1891 weren’t matched until Rutgers went 8-1 in 1947 with one of the most successful teams of coach Harvey Harman in the Golden Era immediately following World War II.
    Talk about spinning over fifty years of losing into something positive. Nice work.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Did you like how I didn't mention that part? I read a little on Rutgers history here (http://scarletknights.com/football/history/history.asp) and found a line that I just loved.

Talk about spinning over fifty years of losing into something positive. Nice work.
    It's a bleak athletic program. 140+ years of football = 5 bowl wins. Over 100 years of basketball = 6 NCAA tourney appearances. How 'bout them apples Mike Brown haters?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Good read on the B1G's recent moves from Grantland:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ryland-rutgers

It's sad that the fans and athletes are last in the equation, if they're in it at all.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

It's all moving closer to my four 16 team conferences with a soccer style promotion/relegation system that college football is perfect for. Just need a little more consolidation and a whole bunch of law suits and we got it!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    No Big XII school is going anywhere unless they can negoriate out of their Grant of Rights with the conference. They may add teams but they won't lose any.
    Big12 + PAC = 20 team mega conference west of Mississippi.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

That's probably true now. However in the last wheel of alignment, Kansas was barely mentioned because they'd have to bring the other university along with them. Oklahoma and Ok State were always mentioned as a pair moving to the SEC/Pac 10-12-16.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Between your post and mine was the word that the western teams began talks with the MWC. I can't say I blame them for keeping their options open.

Things move quickly, so it would seem.
    Probably for the best -- if the BE is going to be decimated and there's no other home for UC, the last thing they want to be a part of is a giant conference with burdensome travel costs that no one wants to show on TV.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I know its all about the money and I know I'm missing something, but how does the profit motive trigger adding Maryland and Rutgers (Rutgers? !) to the Big 10? Is this an example of the free market running amuck? Is this simply gross incompetence?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I know its all about the money and I know I'm missing something, but how does the profit motive trigger adding Maryland and Rutgers (Rutgers? !) to the Big 10? Is this an example of the free market running amuck? Is this simply gross incompetence?
    They have "markets". They want to be able to package their network to more homes. That is why Cincinnati is unwanted by just about everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They have "markets". They want to be able to package their network to more homes. That is why Cincinnati is unwanted by just about everyone.

I suppose, but ask any bookmaker in the NYC market how much action he takes on Rutgers. Answer- not much, nobody cares. And New Yorkers will gamble on anything. Rutgers is on a level with NASCAR.

Turn Off Ads?