Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

The big 12 is idiotic to stand pat, they are the ones that need to add Cincy and Louisville, they should also take fsu, Clemson, GT and somebody else, execute the ACC as a football conference once and for all.

There can be only four
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The big 12 is idiotic to stand pat, they are the ones that need to add Cincy and Louisville, they should also take fsu, Clemson, GT and somebody else, execute the ACC as a football conference once and for all.

There can be only four
    I'm still not sure the 20 team league isn't the "goal". There's an easy sale most of the Big 12 schools. Head west. You take the entire group (minus WVU and someone else) that 8 puts the PAC at 20.

You would have a glorified 6x10 with 2 spots for "Upsets", "Cinderellas", and Notre Dame.

Top 2 of each pod moves on to the "qualifying" then proceed with 8 team playoff seeded much like NCAA basketball tournament.

If 20 is the goal ACC and Big East still die as football conferences.

SEC 14 now: FSU, WVU, Va Tech, NC State, TCU, and This is the tough one #20.

B1G 14: Virginia, UNC, Notre Dame, Ga Tech, Kansas, Miami (if B1G Network could get on in Florida talk about $$$ from snow owls)

PAC 12: Texas, TT, Oklahoma, Ok St, Kansas State, Baylor (keep from sueing), ISU, then one of Boise, SDSU, Hawaii, Frenso, Colorado St, UT (insert letters here), Tulsa, etc depending on how the pools look.

That leaves the ACC with Clemson plus the Big East schools as the "anchor" I don't see that mess of schools doing anything EVER in football.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    They can add those teams (and no offense UC fans) and the rest of college football won't care. If that's true I feel sorry for UC and Louisville they're about to become the red headed step children of a fate worse than Providence... Tobacco Road.
    Better than being marginalized in the Big 12. At least they'll have the best BB conference in the nation, close geographic rivalries, and the chance of competing in football.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Rumors swirling of the Big East Trio heading to the ACC. Announcement supposedly Monday.
    I've heard this but not from anyone more credible than a message board. I have a hard time believing anything this big could get worked out over thanksgiving less than a week after the big ten bomb shell. I give this as much credence as the rumour last week that Louisville was going to pay fsu's exit fee so that both could join the big 12.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I've heard this but not from anyone more credible than a message board. I have a hard time believing anything this big could get worked out over thanksgiving less than a week after the big ten bomb shell. I give this as much credence as the rumour last week that Louisville was going to pay fsu's exit fee so that both could join the big 12.
    I agree. Until something's announced, I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt. That being said, message boards exist to discuss the latest unsubstantiated rumor on the Twitterverse.

Also, FWIW, the rumor originated from a tweet sent by a FSU beat writer.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...ys-vs-new-guys

New ACC: 'Old guys vs. new guys?'

NC State coach Tom O’Brien had a brainstorm this week for conference realignment featuring new divisions in 2014: Old guys vs. new guys.

“I think that’s probably a good idea on Tom’s part,” Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe said with a chuckle.

The thing is, O’Brien wasn’t really kidding. Can you blame him? Despite Maryland’s decision to join the Big Ten in 2014, there are still some traditionalists left in the ACC -- and many of them are head coaches. On Wednesday’s ACC coaches’ teleconference, Duke coach David Cutcliffe said he is “an ACC guy.” Grobe called himself “old school.” Mike London said he was “shocked” by Maryland’s decision.

The ACC was left to pick up the pieces following Maryland’s news, but it’s clear the rest of the conference is ready to move on, while at the same time trying to preserve the ACC’s history and tradition.

“The thing I would hope going forward, and especially because of the traditionalists and everything else, that we can’t do it next year, but certainly in 2014, that we can change our brackets and go back to the original ACC against everybody else -- the Wake Forests, Duke, Carolina, State, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Virginia – the original guys,” O’Brien said. “We go back to playing each other, and it can be the old guys against the new guys. I don’t care what you call the [divisions], but I think that would be something we ought to consider if we’re going to be traditionalists and think that’s important, maybe that can happen in 2014.”

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Brian Miller, writer for the Tallahassee Democrat had it on his twitter feed last night that he'd heard from well-placed sources inside the BE that UC/UConn/Lou to the ACC on Monday. It got pulled off his feed later on in the night.

BearcatLair is hearing the same chatter from "a lot of different directions."

I agree that it's nothing extremely well placed yet, but it's more than just posters on messages boards.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

ACC is desperate. I'm still not sure that this saves them, ultimately.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    ACC is desperate. I'm still not sure that this saves them, ultimately.
    Interestingly, all the power is being held by ESPN here -- I've heard some chatter that they've informed the ACC that they'd be willing to re-open negotiations on the TV deal if all the schools sign a grant of rights agreement to the conference. That would pretty much stop any poaching dead in it's tracks for as long as the grant lasts. Going to 16 and signing a GOR would not only stabilize the conference, it'd stabilize college football in general since 2 of the "Power 5" (ACC / B12) would have their membership completely locked down -- and I doubt you'd see much movement between the SEC and B1G.

ESPN can make that happen -- and, frankly, if the rumors turn out to be true and the ACC does add UConn/Lou/UC on Monday, I'd be shocked if it wasn't reassurances from ESPN that made it a reality.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The ACC has been making a move more towards basketball. Syracuse adds the same NY base as Rutgers but provides a better basketball program.

As for WVU, I view WVU the same way as Nebraska. Tradition rich football program and loyal fans but adds little else. The Big 12 was also in a state of panic after losing Nebraska, Colorado, A&M, and Missouri and had to make a move to keep stability within the conference. TCU made sense given they were already in the state, but given the other options, WVU was the next available option.
    1. Syracuse does not add the same New York fan base as Rutgers. Folks in the metro area don't even realize that Syracuse has a football team. Actually no fan base for either.

2. I agree with your statement that the Big 12 made a "panic move" but I think this was a panic move by the Big 10 as well. I think the Big 10 freaked when they didn't get Notre Dame.

3. Admittedly I'm not too expert about how this Cable $ works, but I find it hard to believe that the extra revenue generated by Rutgers and Maryland (Rutgers?) will justify all the negatives resulting to the Big 10 by these additions. Bear in mind the NY market is fractured in cable carriers and they are tough negotiators. The consumer will not pay more to get the Big 10 network. There is simply not much of a fan base to drive revenue. Granted it's more more money but hardly a bonanza.

(Rutgers getting basted by Pitt as we speak. Imagine what will happen when they travel to Columbus or Madison).

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post

And while TV execs don't seem to care, adding Louisville, UC and UConn to the likes of UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame should make for one heck of a basketball conference.
    About as good as The Big East which we've had for years. Without the Garden.

I don't think it seems all that implausible.

Realistically speaking there are only a handful of viable replacement options and allowing the uncertainty to linger only encourages other current ACC schools to explore their options. It's not like either side is in a position to be super picky, nobody is leaving one of the other power conferences to join the ACC and only Louisville has garnered even a passing interest by one of the other major conferences.

For those of you who like me could care less about the rinky dink college football programs of the world (you know who you are) the idea of a national BB conference is appealing.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ssolve-league/

The ACC with the new Big East trio plus Notre Dame would be the premier Basketball league.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    The ACC with the new Big East trio plus Notre Dame would be the premier Basketball league.
    Old Big East always was the premier league. six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. This change doesn't do anything for the college BB fan. Plus you eliminate the great traditional rivalries- Syracuse /Georgetown, Marquette/Notre Dame, etc, and the only post season tournament that anybody cares about. No improvement for anybody.

Turn Off Ads?