Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Yep. And the ACC still has decent basketball - something that's increasingly difficult to say about the Big East.
    Any conference that still has UConn, G'Town, Nova, Marquette will still have decent basketball. As deep as previous years? No but I am still certain Big East will be among the upper echelons of bball.

I still keep waiting for the basketball schools to get sick of all this football and stop sponsering it as a D1 sport (although with Nova and others they could probably do it on a D1AA or D2 level and be decent).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Any conference that still has UConn, G'Town, Nova, Marquette will still have decent basketball. As deep as previous years? No but I am still certain Big East will be among the upper echelons of bball.

I still keep waiting for the basketball schools to get sick of all this football and stop sponsering it as a D1 sport (although with Nova and others they could probably do it on a D1AA or D2 level and be decent).
    Temple and Memphis as well. But that's today. Who knows what happens tomorrow.

And when you talk about bball schools dropping football, are you talking about UC?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Temple and Memphis as well. But that's today. Who knows what happens tomorrow.

And when you talk about bball schools dropping football, are you talking about UC?
    I assume he's talking about St. John's, Georgetown, Villanova, etc walking away from what the Big East has become.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I assume he's talking about St. John's, Georgetown, Villanova, etc walking away from what the Big East has become.
    I am. Considering the only original member left is Temple this isn't what the basketball schools signed up for in 1993.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I am. Considering the only original member left is Temple this isn't what the basketball schools signed up for in 1993.
    Gotcha. Completely misread it.

There's been talk of the bball schools dissolving the league. If UC and UConn had gone with UL, I believe they would have had the votes. If that happens, the remaining schools should assemble a football only league and keep everything else regional. That keeps travel costs down, and then you can get a contract for the sport that really matters in a t.v. contract: football.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

And the other shoe may have just dropped... rumors of Butch Jones to Purdue.

Edit: and to think, only four years ago, UC was one play from the National Championship game. Damn.
    Over on Bearcat Banter, they've got a plane owned by the Purdue Board of Trustees in Cincinnati on Sunday -- the day Jones allegedly interviewed.

This fits with what I've heard from other places.

They should just announce it today, so that I can mark down November 28th, 2012 as the worst day in UC athletics history.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

And the other shoe may have just dropped... rumors of Butch Jones to Purdue.

Edit: and to think, only four years ago, UC was one play from the National Championship game. Damn.
    Of all the coaching openings Butch was rumored to be in the running for, this one makes the most sense for him and the school. I think he'll be a great fit there.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Purdue is an awful job. He'll lose a lot and get fired. But at least he'll make some pretty good coin in the process.

Whats the consensus here...

It is a lack of the athletic department et al. doing their job to find a slot in a power conference for UC?

Or is it just the way it is, with UC being left out in the game of musical chairs, though no fault of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Purdue is an awful job. He'll lose a lot and get fired. But at least he'll make some pretty good coin in the process.
    I wouldn't say it is an awful job, but I certainly don't view it as the best fit/best destination for Jones right now. I'm not gonna go as far as saying it is a lateral move, but it is only a small step up the national coaching ladder.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

It is a lack of the athletic department et al. doing their job to find a slot in a power conference for UC?

Or is it just the way it is, with UC being left out in the game of musical chairs, though no fault of their own.
    It's the result of a lot of factors -- some of it falls on the UC ADs office for not continuing to press with upgrades on facilities (and by "facilities" I mean Nippert & 5/3 -- because non-revenue sports don't matter in these conversations) and continuing to build up the physical assets of the program. Some of it falls on the UC Administration for continuing to believe the Big East could be fixed after WVU left.

A lot of it really also falls on the fans and alums of UC. The Bearcats don't have nearly enough deep-pocketed alums funding the athletic department, and they certainly don't have enough alums who are fans and buy tickets.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    From what I've read UC already pays Butch Jones more than Purdue paid Danny Hope and that UC has a larger pool for assistants than Purdue, so it seems unlikely that they'd be offering a substantial pay raise assuming that they were able to lure Butch away from UC. If Butch leaves for Purdue it'll have far more to do with UC's weak position in the realignment musical chairs nonsense than it does with getting a better gig.

Purdue is a dead end job and I can't see why any up and coming coach would be interested in taking the job if they're looking to work their way up the coaching ladder. It's not quite as bad as UK or IU, but at the same time it's hard to see that program being anything more than mediocre competing against the likes of OSU and Michigan and both of the two previous coaches got fired for being bad to mediocre.

With the number of other BCS-level jobs with vacancies I find it hard to believe that Butch Jones would want to settle for Purdue. Even if he can't find a legitimate upgrade (i.e. Tennessee or Auburn) and has to stick around UC for another season he'll likely be in a good position to be able to land a good gig after next season and at the very worst he'd be able to find a Purdue-level gig.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Past administrations? Yes. Current? No. Too little, too late? We'll see.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/

Putting aside whether the ACC would actually add Navy or not, I think there’s at least enough substantive reasoning behind why it would work for the ACC that it shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand. Navy obviously fits in with the ACC’s academic standards while providing a foothold back in the state of Maryland (which is a hole for the ACC now with Maryland having defected to the Big Ten). In terms of national TV value, the Navy brand is still quite strong – to the extent that TV money (or lack thereof relative to other power conferences) is the overriding concern to current ACC members (and I honestly think that’s the main issue as opposed to the strength of the football league on-the-field), Navy is arguably more valuable to the TV networks than Louisville or UConn regardless of how the Midshipmen have performed football-wise lately. With Notre Dame as a non-football member in the ACC, Navy could be added as a football-only member to get the membership ranks for both football and basketball back to even numbers. Finally, speaking of Notre Dame, the Irish have an iron-clad rivalry with Navy, so the ACC might be able to convince the Domers to have that game in addition to the 5-game partial conference schedule that they’ll be playing starting in 2014, which would give the ACC a total of 6 Notre Dame games per year (3 of which would be guaranteed to be part of the ACC TV package).

ACC Sports
    @ACCSports
    David Glenn's sources say ACC discussing expansion this week, 3 potential targets: Louisville, UConn and Navy

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/

Putting aside whether the ACC would actually add Navy or not, I think there’s at least enough substantive reasoning behind why it would work for the ACC that it shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand. Navy obviously fits in with the ACC’s academic standards while providing a foothold back in the state of Maryland (which is a hole for the ACC now with Maryland having defected to the Big Ten). In terms of national TV value, the Navy brand is still quite strong – to the extent that TV money (or lack thereof relative to other power conferences) is the overriding concern to current ACC members (and I honestly think that’s the main issue as opposed to the strength of the football league on-the-field), Navy is arguably more valuable to the TV networks than Louisville or UConn regardless of how the Midshipmen have performed football-wise lately. With Notre Dame as a non-football member in the ACC, Navy could be added as a football-only member to get the membership ranks for both football and basketball back to even numbers. Finally, speaking of Notre Dame, the Irish have an iron-clad rivalry with Navy, so the ACC might be able to convince the Domers to have that game in addition to the 5-game partial conference schedule that they’ll be playing starting in 2014, which would give the ACC a total of 6 Notre Dame games per year (3 of which would be guaranteed to be part of the ACC TV package).

ACC Sports
    @ACCSports
    David Glenn's sources say ACC discussing expansion this week, 3 potential targets: Louisville, UConn and Navy

Adding Navy as football only just adds more to the belief that ACC is Big East 2.0. I find it hysterical that the ones who started all this crap are being drug down by it. Unless you get a deal to show the games via the Military network they are chasing $ that are not likely to be there.

ACC hurts itself with the public perception more than anything Navy could add as football only. Its a desperate attempt by a bunch of blue blood snobs to try and keep themselves together. Karma has just walked in kicked Swofford and the blue bloods in the nuts and if what I am hearing is true Karma is not done.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?