Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 556 to 570 of 671

Thread: College Football Realignment

  1. #556
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Adding Navy as football only just adds more to the belief that ACC is Big East 2.0. I find it hysterical that the ones who started all this crap are being drug down by it. Unless you get a deal to show the games via the Military network they are chasing $ that are not likely to be there.

    ACC hurts itself with the public perception more than anything Navy could add as football only. Its a desperate attempt by a bunch of blue blood snobs to try and keep themselves together. Karma has just walked in kicked Swofford and the blue bloods in the nuts and if what I am hearing is true Karma is not done.
    WVU fan, right?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #557
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Missouri goes against about everything the SEC normally goes for IMO. Missouri was about nothing more but potential TV sets. I said it then and I'll say it again WVU would have been more of a fit within the SEC but Slive decided it was better to chase the TV dollars than the ability to compete athletically.
    I don't think WVU ever had a realistic shot of getting into the SEC. Even then, Missouri has had some decent teams in football and they have shown signs of being an improvement in basketball.

    WVU had two things working against them in the SEC:

    1. TV sets. WVU added nothing new to the SEC that it didn't already have. The major news carrier for the area is based out of Charleston and Huntington (which shares a border with Kentucky) and UK games are aired on these stations.

    2. Recruiting. Even though Missouri doesn't add much here, Texas A&M was a gift. WVU doesn't offer any talent pipelines for teams to recruit into and like other SEC schools (Kentucky) has to draw talent from other states.

    I view WVU in the same light as Nebraska. Rich football tradition and passionate fans, but nothing more. If anything, the move to the Big 12 likely exposed WVU and the lack of talent needed to compete with the top teams in the conference. Imagine what that would have been like going against Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and likely Texas A&M and some of the teams in the SEC West?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  4. #558
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,164

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't think WVU ever had a realistic shot of getting into the SEC. Even then, Missouri has had some decent teams in football and they have shown signs of being an improvement in basketball.

    WVU had two things working against them in the SEC:

    1. TV sets. WVU added nothing new to the SEC that it didn't already have. The major news carrier for the area is based out of Charleston and Huntington (which shares a border with Kentucky) and UK games are aired on these stations.
    I have always hated the TV set debate, because for example you hear about aTm putting the SEC on in the "state of Texas" when WVU is closer to Pittsburgh, DC, Virginia, Ohio than aTm is to most of Texas and WVU has a large number of alumni all across the eastern US that we don't get credit for. New Markets for SEC games if they can find someone for coverage even if they dont land UNC/NC State. We have a wider following than just the state of West Virginia, look at the numbers when we are on prime time and the fact we have among the highest ratings on ESPN's midweek games all time, meanwhile Missouri grabs what? maybe 1/10 of potential tvs and when was the last 5 times they were in prime time spots?

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    2. Recruiting. Even though Missouri doesn't add much here, Texas A&M was a gift. WVU doesn't offer any talent pipelines for teams to recruit into and like other SEC schools (Kentucky) has to draw talent from other states.
    Putting the SEC on the doorstep of Western PA, Ohio, Tidewater when most of them don't even need the extra recruiting grounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I view WVU in the same light as Nebraska. Rich football tradition and passionate fans, but nothing more. If anything, the move to the Big 12 likely exposed WVU and the lack of talent needed to compete with the top teams in the conference. Imagine what that would have been like going against Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and likely Texas A&M and some of the teams in the SEC West?
    It's fair to bring up depth. When I saw the media day prediction of 2nd in the Big 12 I thought we were in trouble. We always seem to do better when we are the underdog and can sneak up on people.

    Given time to recruit walking into places and able to say "Come play the best college football has to offer and be close enough to home for your family to see" in Tidewater, western PA, etc and I almost guarentee you we would see an expansion of recruiting. Our recruiting this year with the big 12 has been better than the last 5 or 6 years.

    We may never be king year in and out but I feel we with time would have become a team that could compete at an extremely high level year in and year out.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  5. #559
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,378

    Re: College Football Realignment

    I haven't read through much of this thread, all I have to add is that the realignment is a joke. San Diego State... in the Big East? Really. HAHA.

  6. #560
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,164

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    WVU fan, right?
    Yep but I know a few people at OSU and Penn State. They say its not over with but it maybe a couple years. B1G wants 16 teams for their network.
    Last edited by Slyder; 11-28-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  7. #561
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,164

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Congrats to Louisville getting into the ACC hopefully it fits well and you all have an escape route if it does. Always liked Louisville they stepped up and started being a rival until the Big East finished unravelled. I wish UC, UConn, USF, and Louisville would all find other shelter before this is done because each did what they needed and felt none really slacked while in the Big East.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  8. #562
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I have always hated the TV set debate, because for example you hear about aTm putting the SEC on in the "state of Texas" when WVU is closer to Pittsburgh, DC, Virginia, Ohio than aTm is to most of Texas and WVU has a large number of alumni all across the eastern US that we don't get credit for. New Markets for SEC games if they can find someone for coverage even if they dont land UNC/NC State. We have a wider following than just the state of West Virginia, look at the numbers when we are on prime time and the fact we have among the highest ratings on ESPN's midweek games all time, meanwhile Missouri grabs what? maybe 1/10 of potential tvs and when was the last 5 times they were in prime time spots?



    Putting the SEC on the doorstep of Western PA, Ohio, Tidewater when most of them don't even need the extra recruiting grounds.



    It's fair to bring up depth. When I saw the media day prediction of 2nd in the Big 12 I thought we were in trouble. We always seem to do better when we are the underdog and can sneak up on people.

    Given time to recruit walking into places and able to say "Come play the best college football has to offer and be close enough to home for your family to see" in Tidewater, western PA, etc and I almost guarentee you we would see an expansion of recruiting. Our recruiting this year with the big 12 has been better than the last 5 or 6 years.

    We may never be king year in and out but I feel we with time would have become a team that could compete at an extremely high level year in and year out.
    Have you read this article? My favorite read out of the latest realignment mess.

    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ryland-rutgers

    Hate to say it, but even if you're now partially creeping into the PA, Virginia, DC, and (minimally) Ohio recruiting grounds, you probably aren't getting enough to close the gap with guys like Texas and Okla/State. You guys are secretly my favorite team in the B12 now. I'm rooting for you, but I think it's going to be a tough road.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  9. #563
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,164

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Have you read this article? My favorite read out of the latest realignment mess.

    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ryland-rutgers

    Hate to say it, but even if you're now partially creeping into the PA, Virginia, DC, and (minimally) Ohio recruiting grounds, you probably aren't getting enough to close the gap with guys like Texas and Okla/State. You guys are secretly my favorite team in the B12 now. I'm rooting for you, but I think it's going to be a tough road.
    Thats the thing we've been exceeding expectations for years. First it was lil ole WVU could never compete (Enter Nehlen), then after the first raid WVU is going to get drug down with the ship (3 BcS victories) to buy time, then it was SEC or Bust... Enter Ollie and here we are, and "you'll never get a highly sought cordinator/coach that doesn't have ties (like Rod) again. I still have faith that Holger mania is going to run wild in Morgantown for many years, he didn't inherit the depth needed to compete but thats more on the previous administration only getting like 17-20 rather than 22-25 like most of the Big 12 schools.

    *Edit*
    Before we were competing against Ohio State as a Big East school, we shall see what happens when with the Big 12 association. Or if we continue to look toward Florida and more towards Texas.
    Last edited by Slyder; 11-28-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  10. #564
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Thats the thing we've been exceeding expectations for years. First it was lil ole WVU could never compete (Enter Nehlen), then after the first raid WVU is going to get drug down with the ship (3 BcS victories) to buy time, then it was SEC or Bust... Enter Ollie and here we are, and "you'll never get a highly sought cordinator/coach that doesn't have ties (like Rod) again. I still have faith that Holger mania is going to run wild in Morgantown for many years, he didn't inherit the depth needed to compete but thats more on the previous administration only getting like 17-20 rather than 22-25 like most of the Big 12 schools.
    I love the enthusiasm, I really do. In fact, I think it's almost unmatched in college sports (c'mon, is it THAT hard to root for Ohio State or Alabama in football or UNC or UK in basketball?). That being said, the story only ends well if that enthusiasm meets the cold, hard reality of college football these days. I wish you the best and hope you continue to overachieve. I'm cautiously optimistic on that front.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  11. #565
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,164

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I love the enthusiasm, I really do. In fact, I think it's almost unmatched in college sports (c'mon, is it THAT hard to root for Ohio State or Alabama in football or UNC or UK in basketball?). That being said, the story only ends well if that enthusiasm meets the cold, hard reality of college football these days. I wish you the best and hope you continue to overachieve. I'm cautiously optimistic on that front.
    And that was a very excellent read. I thought for years Maryland would make a great fit for Big 10 and why I think if/when they try to expand again Ga Tech may jump UNC and Virginia if for any other reason than demographics with Miami (if they aren't completely decimated by NCAA as a real dark horse. I (secretly) use to enjoy watching Big 10 games, while usually more traditional style you still saw speed guys like Desmond Howard, Charles Woodson, etc on the field but any more the Big 10 had become boring. Where have the coaches gone? I use to really enjoy watching Purdue throw it around when they had Drew Brees it was ahead of its time. If you give me a choice right now to have to watch between the conferences Big 10 Ranks above ACC but below about everyone else.

    ACC made the same mistakes not worrying about their on field product and just grabbing the biggest markets they could. The one difference is the Big 10 had the foresight to setup the tv network FIRST and then go for the markets. The ACC has no way to market the fact they got Boston and Miami in the first raid. The only reason they remained relevant on the national stage was a little school from little ole Blacksburg, VA whom they didn't want in the first place. They've had to sale about everything just to try and keep up and still fail (~17 mil per team compared to 25 mil for big 12). It's why I don't think the ACC survives the SEC and even Big 12 have laid the ground work for money making machines with a good on field product, the ACC still thinks that basketball is most important. Its the same mistake the Big East made a decade ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  12. #566
    Moderator Gallen5862's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wilmington,NC
    Posts
    6,513

    Re: College Football Realignment

    http://articles.courant.com/2012-11-...conn-officials

    ACC Adds Louisville, Snubs UConn
    November 28, 2012|By PAUL DOYLE, pdoyle@courant.com, The Hartford Courant

    ACC Sports Journal reported the UConn, Louisville, Cincinnati, Navy and South Florida pursued the ACC, but only Louisville has the votes needed from the 11 current members.

    Pittsburgh and Syracuse are future members, while Notre Dame will bring all of its sports but football to the conference. There has been speculation the ACC could invite three candidates, expanding to 16 members in football. But ESPN.com reports the conference will add only one member because the other Big East candidates (UConn, Cincinnati) have not other landing spots and will be available at a later date.

    An ACC source told the ACC Sports Journal that Wednesday’s vote will likely be for one candidate.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 11-29-2012 at 02:57 PM.

  13. #567
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,547

    Re: College Football Realignment

    I would certainly hope UC would trump U Conn

  14. #568
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I would certainly hope UC would trump U Conn
    I don't know. If it comes down to UConn v. UC, the big question is whether the ACC is willing to compromise on academics for a second time. The Louisville choice was clearly a nod to FSU and Clemson. Does the next round then become a choice for tobacco road? If that's the case, I think UConn wins hands down.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  15. #569
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,639

    Re: College Football Realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I don't know. If it comes down to UConn v. UC, the big question is whether the ACC is willing to compromise on academics for a second time. The Louisville choice was clearly a nod to FSU and Clemson. Does the next round then become a choice for tobacco road? If that's the case, I think UConn wins hands down.
    They'll do whatever ESPN tells them to do, honestly -- because the next addition to the ACC will likely result from a defection of a top football property.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  16. #570
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: College Football Realignment

    I'm sure UConn is an okay school, but no one views UConn as any sort of academic powerhouse.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25