Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm sure UConn is an okay school, but no one views UConn as any sort of academic powerhouse.
    No, but among the available options, they help keep this alive: http://www.theacc.com/genrel/092012aao.html
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't see how NCAA keeps this from eventually going to court under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. The Big 10, ESPN, etc IMO have been trying to setup a monopoly where they control A) all the money, B) all the competition, C) where everyone plays, etc. I've found myself having fun speculating who ends up where because I have no real control over any of it but when you look at the big picture...

A) Universities are butchering themselves
    B) Student athletes are being thrown under the bus for the greed of a select few. Especially those that play multiple games a week (basketball, soccer, etc).
    C) Congress hasn't gotten involved yet because the same "class" is in charge of both. They wine and dine each other talking about how much their endowments are.
    D) NCAA's been nuetered a long time ago.

One of three things will seriously end up with this either someone will find a way to take this to court and win reducing the power of individual conferences, b) congressional oversight, c) people will stop caring as every major rivalry will eventually be shredded up and thrown away for the chase of dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I don't see how NCAA keeps this from eventually going to court under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. The Big 10, ESPN, etc IMO have been trying to setup a monopoly where they control A) all the money, B) all the competition, C) where everyone plays, etc. I've found myself having fun speculating who ends up where because I have no real control over any of it but when you look at the big picture...

A) Universities are butchering themselves
    B) Student athletes are being thrown under the bus for the greed of a select few. Especially those that play multiple games a week (basketball, soccer, etc).
    C) Congress hasn't gotten involved yet because the same "class" is in charge of both. They wine and dine each other talking about how much their endowments are.
    D) NCAA's been nuetered a long time ago.

One of three things will seriously end up with this either someone will find a way to take this to court and win reducing the power of individual conferences, b) congressional oversight, c) people will stop caring as every major rivalry will eventually be shredded up and thrown away for the chase of dollars.
    I think the NCAA has been hesitant to get involved in this because they're afraid the moment they do, the 'Big 5' conferences are bolting and creating their own governing body.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

At this point, I wish the big 12, 10, SEC, and PAC would just go to 16 and get this over with. Better to just rip the band aid off at once.

I guess you may see that depending on the MD case...

Rumors today that Georgia Tech to the B1G is a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Rumors today that Georgia Tech to the B1G is a done deal.
    Who will be the next school?

Did the B1G do UC a solid? Taking anther team from the ACC gives the Bearcats hope again.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Did the B1G do UC a solid? Taking anther team from the ACC gives the Bearcats hope again.
    The original tweet that started all this has been removed. Lots of smoke, but I don't know if we can say fire just yet.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I think it's the same WV know-nothings (just these particular guys, not WV folks in general) that are stirring up the rumors and others and just running with those rumors.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It'll be UConn. They and Louisville were the two finalists the last time -- UC was an 11th hour push.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/11...n-caa-in-2013/

College of Charleston to Join CAA in 2013

After a month of negotiating with the CAA, College of Charleston has accepted an invitation to join the CAA for the 2013-2014 season. The move gives the CAA a school to replace Georgia St., VCU and ODU, which have already left or leaving next year. Charleston gains more recruiting and exposure in the northeast due to their association with the CAA.

Virginia.

If the SEC moves on NC and Virginia Tech then UC can expect an invite, to the new Big East.
    Go Gators!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2147572.story

Doeren to leave NIU for N.C State
    Won't coach Huskies in bowl game

Dave Doeren guided Northern Illinois to back-to-back Mid-American Conference championships, and now he is headed to North Carolina State, the school announced Saturday afternoon.

Doeren informed the NIU players of his decision to accept the N.C. State position Saturday night. Then NIU athletic director Jeff Compher addressed the players.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2147572.story

Doeren to leave NIU for N.C State
    Won't coach Huskies in bowl game

Dave Doeren guided Northern Illinois to back-to-back Mid-American Conference championships, and now he is headed to North Carolina State, the school announced Saturday afternoon.

Doeren informed the NIU players of his decision to accept the N.C. State position Saturday night. Then NIU athletic director Jeff Compher addressed the players.
    I like this hire.

Doeren is a defensive-minded coach who also features an exciting offense. He'll do well with ACC caliber talent and, believe it or not, there is a lot of talent in the NC/SC area.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Thanks for the info. I am a NC State fan. I am hoping he works out well. Hopefully he gets to coach NC State's bowl game.

Latest news is that Rutgers is sueing the Big East to get out of the 27 month wait period to join Big 10 in 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?