Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: Here we go again...

Discussion aside that BB conference in the above post would be awesome.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I've never seen Pitt and WVU being joined at the hip. They're two state borderline schools separated by an hour and a half. If it was an in-state rival I could see it. Either way, i'm sure the schools would continue the rivalry even if in different conferences.

If Pitt does leave, I think it puts more pressure for WVU to bolt for another conference. I don't think the schools leaving hurt so much from a football standpoint, but I imagine it would hurt enough to cost the Big East an automatic bid.
    To me it always was a question of safety in numbers. The ACC is preceived to be Carolina 1st, 2nd, 3rd Pitt plus WVU at least gives both schools one ally when it comes to discussions of league policy. I have no doubts that WVU would be the red headed step child in the ACC that receives no respect from the blue bloods (UVa, UNC, Duke, Wake, and by proxy NC State) regardless of what WVU does and that is why I've been negative about joining the ACC since the crap started and see it as a distant third.

And its why I was hoping the Big East could be more proactive with the tv contract coming up and maybe accessing some of the chinksk in the armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssport...32522/32035225

Pittsburgh and Syracuse submitted letters of application to the Atlantic Coast Conference and are "likely gone" from the Big East, high ranking ACC and Big East officials told CBSSports.com.

CBSSports.com's Gary Parrish reported Saturday afternoon that the league could vote to accept the two schools as early as Sunday.

Pittsburgh and Syracuse independently submitted letters of application to the ACC, a league source told CBSSports.com.

"There is no scenario where a president applies to a league and isn't admitted," a Big East official told CBSSports.com.
    This is about to get kinda crazy -- it's going to be every-man-for-himself in the Big East now with these schools trying to find homes in AQ conferences before everything gets set.

I can't help but think Mike Thomas (UC's AD) saw this coming and that this factored into his bailing for Illinois.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Prediction: 4 "major" conferences 16 team.
    ACC: (currently at 12)
    Minus: FSU, Va Tech, Maryland
    Plus: Pitt, UConn, Rutgers, Texas, TT, Kansas (thus fulfilling their basketball desire), K State.

If only the Big East would have had Oliver Luck or a football guy in charge rather than Marinatto.

The Big 4 says no independant will get any special treatment which leads too.

Big Ten: (currently 12)
    Plus: Maryland, Notre Dame, Virginia, Missouri (for all parties involved the Big 10 might be the bigger winner)

SEC: (Currently 12)
    Plus: Texas A&M, WVU, Florida St., Va Tech

PAC: (currently 12)
    Plus: TCU (odd fit but they want in Texas), BYU, Oklahoma, Ok St.

and to prevent lawsuits galore a 5th conference that may have more fluid membership for the teams "left out" like Baylor, Boise, etc.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    and to prevent lawsuits galore a 5th conference that may have more fluid membership for the teams "left out" like Baylor, Boise, etc.
    The "Leftovers" conference idea would never work due to the cost of travel involved for the various members and the lack of TV interest in showing a "best of the rest" conference -- especially with the dollars each one of these "SuperConference" leagues will command in rights fees.

Really, this entire movement is driven almost entirely by TV money -- the leftover schools are going to have a difficult time surviving, even banded together, as anything resembling major college football players if that funding source is choked off.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The "Leftovers" conference idea would never work due to the cost of travel involved for the various members and the lack of TV interest in showing a "best of the rest" conference -- especially with the dollars each one of these "SuperConference" leagues will command in rights fees.

Really, this entire movement is driven almost entirely by TV money -- the leftover schools are going to have a difficult time surviving, even banded together, as anything resembling major college football players if that funding source is choked off.
    Good point.
    Instead of a 5th "other conference" what about "top team from the other conferences" gets an auto bid if they meet the top 15 or whatever?

William Arthur Ward

The ACC increased their buy out as well, nobody is leaving them for another conference.

I wonder if the sputtering to death big 12 will go after leftover big east football schools to try and sustain themselves.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The ACC increased their buy out as well, nobody is leaving them for another conference.

I wonder if the sputtering to death big 12 will go after leftover big east football schools to try and sustain themselves.
    There's always lawyers who's job is to negotiate that. The Big 12s I think was like 25 mil and Colorado and Nebraska ended up paying like half that combined (6 and 8 mil I think).

The Big East "big problem" with leaving is you're suppose to give 17 months notice or something like that so "technically" Pitt and Syracuse probably couldn't give the notice in time until 2013 at least if you go by the red letter of the rules.

And the fact WVU wasn't included leaves me with the hope that we are indeed Mr 14 to the SEC and Pitt and Syracuse knew.

William Arthur Ward

To me it always was a question of safety in numbers. The ACC is preceived to be Carolina 1st, 2nd, 3rd Pitt plus WVU at least gives both schools one ally when it comes to discussions of league policy. I have no doubts that WVU would be the red headed step child in the ACC that receives no respect from the blue bloods (UVa, UNC, Duke, Wake, and by proxy NC State) regardless of what WVU does and that is why I've been negative about joining the ACC since the crap started and see it as a distant third.

And its why I was hoping the Big East could be more proactive with the tv contract coming up and maybe accessing some of the chinksk in the armor.
    I think this is what everybody else outside of the Big East knew in reality. The Big East as a conference has been on life support since Va Tech, Miami, and BC left. They did add some quality basketball schools but for the most part the conference, regardless of commissioner, has been a step behind everybody else.

The ACC saw this coming and upped their exit fees. Any hope the Big East would have had in poaching teams that might be disgruntled with the direction the conference is taking by going pro-basketball (Florida State, Virginia Tech) is likely gone. It could happen that an ACC team leaves, but it will probably be for the SEC.

This is where it starts to get interesting for the Big East. Without Pitt and Syracuse, they are now at 7 teams for FBS, including TCU. You need to have eight teams to be eligible for FBS play, meaning that the Big East will have to add another team or promote from within (Villanova) just to keep the conference afloat for college football. If WVU or even Louisville leaves, its going to become a real mess for the rest of the teams to fight for survival.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

There's always lawyers who's job is to negotiate that. The Big 12s I think was like 25 mil and Colorado and Nebraska ended up paying like half that combined (6 and 8 mil I think).
    Sure, but the ACC isn't going to let the teams that make them relevant on a national stage in football leave for anything less then the full price.

I think the SEC will go with WVU and stop at 14, I think the ACC does as well with Syracuse and Pitt, 16 teams is a nightmare for scheduling and I don't think any conference is in a hurry to deal with it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Sure, but the ACC isn't going to let the teams that make them relevant on a national stage in football leave for anything less then the full price.

I think the SEC will go with WVU and stop at 14, I think the ACC does as well with Syracuse and Pitt, 16 teams is a nightmare for scheduling and I don't think any conference is in a hurry to deal with it.
    This is pretty much to WVU fans and my feelings on it:

WVU is going to land in a top conference, but the main thing is to BE PATIENT. If the SEC doesn't take WVU as the 14th team, I do think the ACC and SEC will expand to 16 and WVU will make the cut in both conferences. It's nothing more than a chess match right now.

In the meantime, continue to play great football, don't do anything stupid(keeping the West F'ing Virginia t-shirts at home on Saturday would be a nice way to start), and everything will be fine. You have an athletic director in Oliver Luck who is probably more competent to lead the Big East than Marianotto, and he will do what is best for West Virginia.

If I am WVU, I would hope for an ACC invite first. I know Slyder outlined the reasons why WVU wouldn't fit in the ACC, but culturally, West Virginia would be the redheaded stepchild of the SEC (why I said leave the t-shirts). For those who don't know, Dana Holgorsen worked under both Mike Leach and Hal Mumme (while at Valdosta). Mumme was the head coach at Kentucky during the 1990's when Tim Couch was there and Holgorsen's offense is a mirror image of the Air Raid offense that Mumme and Leach employed at Kentucky. It worked, until the defenses made adjustments and shut it down.

With the ACC, you have a better chance of reaching a BCS bowl game every year, although it is a weaker conference. In the SEC, you might compete for a BCS once in awhile (South Carolina this year), but you are going to have to make changes coming in if you are going to remain competitive.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Syracuse and Pittsburgh join ACC per twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/slmandel/statu...63454054592512

@slmandelStewart Mandel
    RT @WhitesideUSAT ACC presidents voted this morning to accept Cuse & Pitt, official announcement in next 2 days, according to ACC official

Re: Syracuse and Pittsburgh join ACC per twitter.

darn blue bloods. If only big east werent even more inept about footballs power.

William Arthur Ward

Re: Syracuse and Pittsburgh join ACC per twitter.

WVU is going to land in a top conference, but the main thing is to BE PATIENT. If the SEC doesn't take WVU as the 14th team, I do think the ACC and SEC will expand to 16 and WVU will make the cut in both conferences. It's nothing more than a chess match right now.

In the meantime, continue to play great football, don't do anything stupid, and everything will be fine. You have an athletic director in Oliver Luck who is probably more competent to lead the Big East than Marianotto, and he will do what is best for West Virginia.
    I agree, In Luck I trust! And I'm of the thought that buying a ticket doesn't buy you the right to do whatever you want.

If I am WVU, I would hope for an ACC invite first. I know Slyder outlined the reasons why WVU wouldn't fit in the ACC, but culturally, West Virginia would be the redheaded stepchild of the SEC (why I said leave the t-shirts). For those who don't know, Dana Holgorsen worked under both Mike Leach and Hal Mumme (while at Valdosta). Mumme was the head coach at Kentucky during the 1990's when Tim Couch was there and Holgorsen's offense is a mirror image of the Air Raid offense that Mumme and Leach employed at Kentucky. It worked, until the defenses made adjustments and shut it down.
    Kentucky also didn't get near the caliber guys WVU seems to get out of Florida, PA, Ohio, Maryland either for football. I think joining the SEC would be a windfall for WVU and here's why. They would be able hand pick many of these areas with the SEC tag saying You will play the best competition every week and your family will be within a day trip to come watch you play. Almost the Texas effect. WVU is also a football first school, yes basketball is pretty important but its football first at WVU. I didn't get to watch the game today but what I have seen from Holgorsen thus far has impressed me with the adjustments during the game. I don't think you can label him as just Mumme or Leach's clone because he will find ways to tweak it and make it his.

With the ACC, you have a better chance of reaching a BCS bowl game every year, although it is a weaker conference.
    Football is what drives the tv contracts, plus basketball is a lot more fluid not to long ago was an SEC team that won back to back championships. I would rather face the best than be the tallest midget in a conference, which is what the ACC looks like they are going to turn into if the kansas stuff happens.

In the SEC, you might compete for a BCS once in awhile (South Carolina this year), but you are going to have to make changes coming in if you are going to remain competitive.
    AD Luck seems to have being doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes to deal with some problems. We may not spend like Alabama or Florida but we with the additional money I am certain will spend more than our fair share to keep up with the rest of the SEC. Including a rumored expansion that would bring Mountaineer Field to 80000 seats.
    Last edited by Slyder; 09-17-2011 at 11:58 PM.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?