Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney, James Shields, Johnny Damon?

Buster Olney, James Shields, Johnny Damon?

I just saw Buster Olney tweet that the Rays are scouting the Reds organization and would possibly be trading James Shields, and would also be willing to trade Johnny Damon (not in relation to the Reds) Seemed like Shields was more of a Reds target. I just wish they would hurry up and do what they're going to do because I'm tired of waiting, lol.

Buster_ESPNBuster Olney

Among the pitchers that the Reds are targeting: TB's James Shields. This could be why TB scouts evaluating CIN minor leaguers this week.
    Last edited by mroby85; 07-20-2011 at 10:48 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buster Olney, James Shields, Johnny Damon?

Yep lets add another pitcher, because god knows we need that...;-(

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Yep lets add another pitcher, because god knows we need that...;-(
    Sure we do, because if this is the same pitching staff next year than the Reds might as well kiss that good bye also.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    Sure we do, because if this is the same pitching staff next year than the Reds might as well kiss that good bye also.
    How is that? You have your ACE in Cueto, a good 2 guy in Leake and a possible 3 guy in Homer. I think Wood will continue to progress and you have Chapman at somepoint, no, this team is fine pitching wise, if the issue at Lf and 3rd are not addressed and the coaching problems addressed we will continue to struggle.

if the issue at Lf and 3rd are not addressed and the coaching problems addressed we will continue to struggle.
    But if you CAN'T address thos positions because there is no one available at those positions doesn't it make sense to imporove the team in the area that you can rather than just doing nothing?
    Sto Pro Veritate

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

How is that? You have your ACE in Cueto, a good 2 guy in Leake and a possible 3 guy in Homer. I think Wood will continue to progress and you have Chapman at somepoint, no, this team is fine pitching wise, if the issue at Lf and 3rd are not addressed and the coaching problems addressed we will continue to struggle.
    The Reds are 22nd out of 30 in team ERA. I think there is room for improvement. I don't think just letting players get older and hope they develop will be enough.

They are 12th in average, 10th in OPS and 5th in runs out of 30 teams. Bottom line is the hitting is considerably better than the pitching. Would I like to see a new bat in left field, you bet. However I think a TOR arm would prove more beneficial.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    The Reds are 22nd out of 30 in team ERA. I think there is room for improvement. I don't think just letting players get older and hope they develop will be enough.

Why not?

They are 12th in average, 10th in OPS and 5th in runs out of 30 teams. Bottom line is the hitting is considerably better than the pitching. Would I like to see a new bat in left field, you bet. However I think a TOR arm would prove more beneficial.

We have a TOR, do we have a leadoff hitter? Do we have a true RH power bat or a number 4 hitter?

I was curious what people think of Shields?

His numbers look great this season but he was getting progressively worse over the past 4 years with WHIP and BA against going the wrong direction.

I know he pitches in the AL East and all but do you think he is legit or not.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

Why not? Because over the past 3 years I have heard that all we need to do with Bailey is let him mature and develop. Each year I think this will be the year he puts it together, each year I am wrong. I don't want to watch the Reds sit like they have over the past several years and hope that it finally clicks with their young pitchers. Nothing wrong with having a young inconsistent pitcher in the 4 or 5 spot but right now the only pitcher I have any confidence in is Cueto. Everyone else seems to be hit or miss. Most of them have been pitching a little better as of lately but how long will that continue? Is Cueto a TOR arm, maybe, but what it wrong with 2 TOR arms?
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Pitching in NL and specifically the NL central is easier than AL east, but I would still rather have Jimenez. Shields isn't a number 1 like Ubaldo could be. Shields would be an upgrade over Arroyo, Bailey and Willis right now, but Bailey's ceiling is higher. I would be scared to trade with Tampa Bay, they have one of the best farm systems, and eye for talent. Their young arms are really good. They usually trade at the right time. It depends on who they want. An upgrade yes, but for what?

Shields is a better pitcher than Jimenez. He doesn't get the press that Jimez gets, but he has much better control.

He's a couple years older, but at 29 has plenty of gas left in the tank.

Shields is having a great year. I think he is either turning the corner into becoming an elite pitcher or just having a good year. Tough to tell. Jimenez obviously has dynamite stuff and at times is the best pitcher in baseball, but is inconsistent. Jimenez is having a bad year, Shields is having a good year. Tough to tell. Side by side I would take Jimenez based on potential.

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Shields is having a great year. I think he is either turning the corner into becoming an elite pitcher or just having a good year. Tough to tell. Jimenez obviously has dynamite stuff and at times is the best pitcher in baseball, but is inconsistent. Jimenez is having a bad year, Shields is having a good year. Tough to tell. Side by side I would take Jimenez based on potential.
    You pretty much summed up my thoughts on this. They both have pretty nice contracts though.

Shields
    2012 7M club option
    2013 9M club option
    2014 14M club option

Jimenez
    2012 4M
    2013 6M club option
    2014 8M club option* (Voided if traded)

Wish that other name next to Damon was Matt Joyce! Joyce would play LF right away with plus defense and plus plus bat. If they would ever consider this, the Reds should jump all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    Wish that other name next to Damon was Matt Joyce! Joyce would play LF right away with plus defense and plus plus bat. If they would ever consider this, the Reds should jump all over it.
    Matt Joyce is not a plus plus bat.

Turn Off Ads?