Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Jonathan Correa Suspended

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    162

    Jonathan Correa Suspended

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...ear-for-fraud/

    Major League Baseball has suspended one of Cincinnati's top pitching prospects for lying about his age, a source familiar with the case told Baseball America.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    733

    Re: Jonathan Correa Suspended

    Raido this morning said it was another positive drug test.

    I don't understand suspending him. Fine him or something, but suspending him hurts the Reds as much as it does him, and it's not the Reds fault he used a phony birth certificate.
    Sto Pro Veritate

  4. #3
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: Jonathan Correa Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I don't understand suspending him. Fine him or something, but suspending him hurts the Reds as much as it does him, and it's not the Reds fault he used a phony birth certificate.
    While i agree its not the Reds fault, I think the suspension is meant to be used as a disincentive to international players to lie about their age and end up with contracts they otherwise would not have gotten. I dont think this is the best solution though, bc teams already are extremely interested in the age of the player bc that heavily dictates how much $ that player can command.

    Im curious what options this will give the Reds with regards to his contract. To me the best solution would be for teams to be able to keep the player playing, but force the player to take a drastic salary cut for the duration of the contract, maybe have them have to have free agency delayed in the future by a couple years, and fine the player a massive amount of $.
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    733

    Re: Jonathan Correa Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    While i agree its not the Reds fault, I think the suspension is meant to be used as a disincentive to international players to lie about their age and end up with contracts they otherwise would not have gotten. I dont think this is the best solution though, bc teams already are extremely interested in the age of the player bc that heavily dictates how much $ that player can command.

    Im curious what options this will give the Reds with regards to his contract. To me the best solution would be for teams to be able to keep the player playing, but force the player to take a drastic salary cut for the duration of the contract, maybe have them have to have free agency delayed in the future by a couple years, and fine the player a massive amount of $.
    Problem is, I don't think MLB has the authority to do any of those things. I don't think legally they can change the parameters of a contract, and doing anything to the time it takes to become a FA would require the players union to buy in and allow it in the CBA.

    The Reds might be able to get the contract voided based on fraud, but then they'd probably lose the player and I'm sure they don't want that.
    Sto Pro Veritate

  6. #5
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: Jonathan Correa Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Problem is, I don't think MLB has the authority to do any of those things. I don't think legally they can change the parameters of a contract, and doing anything to the time it takes to become a FA would require the players union to buy in and allow it in the CBA.

    The Reds might be able to get the contract voided based on fraud, but then they'd probably lose the player and I'm sure they don't want that.
    Id imagine they can get it voided, but what happens from there idk

    Maybe the Reds can start writing some specific provision into the contract that specifies what happens if at a future date they find out the player lied about his age.
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25