Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walt: We're still buyers

Walt: We're still buyers

Not earth-shattering, but alot considering its coming from Walt - does raise my hopes that at least one major deal will get done.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Walt: We're still buyers

I like this response

I'm not going to be specific about guys, but I'd prefer guys who are under contract for a while," Jocketty said. "I'm not sure anything will develop. We're trying to win this year, but we want to stay full of talent so we know we can compete for years to come."
    Sounds like he is going after targets that other clubs are going to be very reluctant to move, and that's why it's so difficult to get something done.
    Hopefully he can pull something off.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I like this response

Sounds like he is going after targets that other clubs are going to be very reluctant to move, and that's why it's so difficult to get something done.
    Hopefully he can pull something off.
    I liked that too. No rentals unless there's a decent chance to re-up them after the season.

James Shields and Ubaldo Jiminez, two guys The Reds have been linked to recently - would either one fit that description.

Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I liked that too. No rentals unless there's a decent chance to re-up them after the season.
    Guys who give a chance to re-up after the season aren't the types of guys you want to be adding. Guys who are going to test free agency are the difference makers, not the platoon bench guys. Or get guys with years on their deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Guys who give a chance to re-up after the season aren't the types of guys you want to be adding. Guys who are going to test free agency are the difference makers, not the platoon bench guys. Or get guys with years on their deal.
    Yeah, but those are the guys I'm not giving up boatloads of talent for two months work. I would not rule out rentals, but I would get them at my price or pass. Even then, only if it gives me a solid chance of winning a playoff series (and I haven't seen any potential rentals who would fit that bill for the Reds).

No rentals, except for players acquired at minor cost.

This team is a long shot. Don't mortgage the future for a long-shot chance at success this year.

Not Beltran. Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    No rentals, except for players acquired at minor cost.

This team is a long shot. Don't mortgage the future for a long-shot chance at success this year.

Not Beltran. Nobody.
    Beltran or not, this team is still going to have to address LF at some point, whether it's this week or in the offseason (yeah right). Simply put, the trio playing there this summer just won't cut it in 2012 if the Reds expect to return to the playoffs again during this relatively small "window of opportunity" that exists while Joey Votto is here.

Someone's gonna have to get paid to play left next year, unless you want to entrust it to a AAA unknown. And since another glaring weakness is the complete lack of production from the cleanup spot (and the unlikelyhood of Scott Rolen effectively batting there again in 2012), the opportunity is obvious to kill two birds with one stone.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 07-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Beltran or not, this team is still going to have to address LF at some point, whether it's this week or in the offseason (yeah right). Simply put, the trio playing there this summer just won't cut it in 2012 if the Reds expect to return to the playoffs again during this "window of opportunity" that exists while Joey Votto is here.

Someone's gonna have to get paid to play left next year, unless you want to entrust it to a AAA unknown.
    Forgive me, maybe I wasn't clear.

Beltran is a rental. He is a Boras client. His contract forbids his team from offering him arbitration. He will be a free agent next winter, for sure.

I want to solidify left field too. But not by acquiring Beltran or any other 2011 rental.

I don't want to give up the wealth of organizational talent on the quixotic dream that the Reds can overcome the Brewers, Cards, and Bucs this season.

Yes it's a possibility, but it is remote.

Reds should go after signed players, guys who they can control for awhile.

And, of course, they can acquire rentals - or anyone - who costs very little in return.

Would 8-2 on the strength of starting pitching change your mind?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Forgive me, maybe I wasn't clear.

Beltran is a rental. He is a Boras client. His contract forbids his team from offering him arbitration. He will be a free agent next winter, for sure.

I want to solidify left field too. But not by acquiring Beltran or any other 2011 rental.

I don't want to give up the wealth of organizational talent on the quixotic dream that the Reds can overcome the Brewers, Cards, and Bucs this season.

Yes it's a possibility, but it is remote.

Reds should go after signed players, guys who they can control for awhile.

And, of course, they can acquire rentals - or anyone - who costs very little in return.
    The arbitration clause isn't very meaningful. It means a team cannot get a draft pick out of him, as they can't offer it and then he can't turn it down because it wasn't offered, but it doesn't impact whether he'd elect to go to free agency, as teams have an exclusive negotiating period before free agency and long before the deadline to offer arbitration anyhow. And even if they could offer arbitration, he could simply decline.

That said, I don't think anyone has any illusions that Beltran wouldn't test the free agent market. He most certainly would, as 95% of Boras clients typically do. But the arbitration clause doesn't impact his ability to become a free agent.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The arbitration clause isn't very meaningful. It means a team cannot get a draft pick out of him, as they can't offer it and then he can't turn it down because it wasn't offered, but it doesn't impact whether he'd elect to go to free agency, as teams have an exclusive negotiating period before free agency and long before the deadline to offer arbitration anyhow. And even if they could offer arbitration, he could simply decline.

That said, I don't think anyone has any illusions that Beltran wouldn't test the free agent market. He most certainly would, as 95% of Boras clients typically do. But the arbitration clause doesn't impact his ability to become a free agent.
    If he were to accept isn't arbitration setup so that said player cannot make less than like 95% of what he made the previous year or is that just guys who are within 6 years since Beltran per say wouldn't have a contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If he were to accept isn't arbitration setup so that said player cannot make less than like 95% of what he made the previous year or is that just guys who are within 6 years since Beltran per say wouldn't have a contract?
    Correct. It's 80%, but it's for players under reserve (through the first six years of service) until they reach free agency, so Beltran would not apply.

Since players don't really have any say in their salaries from year to year, until arbitration, it's to keep the club from tendering a new contract for much less.

For instance, say a club gives a guy $500,000 for his second full season. The player had really no recourse to ask for more, as he has to agree to that deal. The next season, the club could not pay total compensation less than $400,000 in the majors (which is less than league minimum now anyhow) or 60% of $500k in total compensation between the majors and minors if there's a split rate of pay.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Walt may say they're buyers, but we're talking about a team that hasn't made a truly "blockbuster" acquisition since Ken Griffey Jr. over a decade ago.

I highly doubt the Reds acquire anyone of note this season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Walt may say they're buyers, but we're talking about a team that hasn't made a truly "blockbuster" acquisition since Ken Griffey Jr. over a decade ago.

I highly doubt the Reds acquire anyone of note this season.
    How many teams truly get to make a blockbuster acquisition? Probably less than a quarter?

In order to make such an acquisition in this day and age, you either have to have $100 million plus to spend in free agency or you need to be willing to give up your top prospect(s) for a 2-month rental, at least generally speaking.

Turn Off Ads?